3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
cmaas
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm

3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby cmaas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 pm

I think that HYS and CCN are pretty much out; but, what are my chances at MVP, UCLA, Georgetown, and Cornell?

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:37 pm

CCN is very much in. Possibly HYS, too.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby Knock » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 pm

What kind of URM?

User avatar
cmaas
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby cmaas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:41 pm

I am mexican. Do you think I am in at MVP and UCLA or just that I have a decent shot?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby Knock » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 pm

cmaas wrote:I am mexican. Do you think I am in at MVP and UCLA or just that I have a decent shot?


Hard to say. UCLA isn't supposed to give an admissions boost based on ethnicity, but I think they do anyways, especially if you write a diversity statement. I would say you're probably in at UCLA, hard to say at MVP. URM cycles are hard to predict. Get your application in early, apply broadly, and hope for the best.
Last edited by Knock on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 pm

You should be applying to the entire T10. The boost for MX applicants is bigger on the East Coast (there are so many Mexicans applying to CA/TX schools relative to the T6) and you are seriously likely to get into T10 if not better if you apply to all of them.

The bump is much smaller at UCLA. With your numbers you have a shot there anyway, but you should be aiming higher.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby JJDancer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm

In at MVP and below.
Not sure how much Mexican bumps UCLA but good shot there too.

User avatar
cmaas
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby cmaas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Knock wrote:
cmaas wrote:I am mexican. Do you think I am in at MVP and UCLA or just that I have a decent shot?


Hard to say. UCLA isn't supposed to give an admissions boost based on ethnicity, but I think they do anyways if you write a diversity statement. I would say you're probably in at UCLA, hard to say at MVP. URM cycles are hard to predict. Get your application in early, apply broadly, and hope for the best.


Okay. Thanks. I am thinking of retaking because a 165 was the score of one of my lowest PTs. If I could get 168 in Dec, do you think it's worth the retake for the extra pts?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby Knock » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 pm

cmaas wrote:
Knock wrote:
cmaas wrote:I am mexican. Do you think I am in at MVP and UCLA or just that I have a decent shot?


Hard to say. UCLA isn't supposed to give an admissions boost based on ethnicity, but I think they do anyways if you write a diversity statement. I would say you're probably in at UCLA, hard to say at MVP. URM cycles are hard to predict. Get your application in early, apply broadly, and hope for the best.


Okay. Thanks. I am thinking of retaking because a 165 was the score of one of my lowest PTs. If I could get 168 in Dec, do you think it's worth the retake for the extra pts?


If you are confident you could raise your LSAT by 3 points, I would say it would be worth it. What were you averaging? Unless you were averaging 169/170+ I think you should just submit.

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 3.7/165 URM... Chance at MVP or UCLA?

Postby DieAntwoord » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:53 pm

You have a great shot at all of these school. I second top10. Do not ed anywhere pleeeease. And getting apps in and retaking for dec is not a bad option. URM desicions usually come latter anyways and if you are not happy with your acceptances you can always apply next year early.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests