.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

.

Postby eaa1537 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:59 pm

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby 005618502 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:06 pm

In at ccn and below as they will see that 174 LSAT and a high gpa

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby eaa1537 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:14 pm

jt1341 wrote:In at ccn and below as they will see that 174 LSAT and a high gpa


Thanks for the response! Do you think I should write an addendum or does the increase speak for itself? I didn't feel very well during the first test but didn't cancel for some reason (definitely regretting that).

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby 005618502 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:32 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:In at ccn and below as they will see that 174 LSAT and a high gpa


Thanks for the response! Do you think I should write an addendum or does the increase speak for itself? I didn't feel very well during the first test but didn't cancel for some reason (definitely regretting that).


Ummm yea i would, if it was in the 160's i would say no, but that is a HUGE jump in percentile. So i would say yes, but this i am not very sure of.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby Ragged » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey number twin and fellow retaker. You should be IN Columbia even without an addendum since their official policy is that they drop a scorre which is 5+ below. If you right a really good addendum you might have an outside shot at HYS. The rest of the top 10 should be in with money.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby 005618502 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Ragged wrote:Hey number twin and fellow retaker. You should be IN Columbia even without an addendum since their official policy is that they drop a scorre which is 5+ below. If you right a really good addendum you might have an outside shot at HYS. The rest of the top 10 should be in with money.


HYS are out, they openly say that they average scores (especially H) so maybe a tiny shot at YS. But congrats on your score.

OP if you wouldnt mind PM'ing me what you did to increase your score so greatly i would really appreciate it.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby Ragged » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:47 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Ragged wrote:Hey number twin and fellow retaker. You should be IN Columbia even without an addendum since their official policy is that they drop a scorre which is 5+ below. If you right a really good addendum you might have an outside shot at HYS. The rest of the top 10 should be in with money.


HYS are out, they openly say that they average scores (especially H) so maybe a tiny shot at YS. But congrats on your score.

OP if you wouldnt mind PM'ing me what you did to increase your score so greatly i would really appreciate it.


Firstly, what they state does not always equal what they do. If the OP has a good reason I'm sure that will give him an outside chance. Worth the application fee to find out.

bruin10
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby bruin10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:53 pm

lol...why can't I find people like this at poker games? who will believe me whatever I say about the hand I have after the cards come out?

Ragged wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
Ragged wrote:Hey number twin and fellow retaker. You should be IN Columbia even without an addendum since their official policy is that they drop a scorre which is 5+ below. If you right a really good addendum you might have an outside shot at HYS. The rest of the top 10 should be in with money.


HYS are out, they openly say that they average scores (especially H) so maybe a tiny shot at YS. But congrats on your score.

OP if you wouldnt mind PM'ing me what you did to increase your score so greatly i would really appreciate it.


Firstly, what they state does not always equal what they do. If the OP has a good reason I'm sure that will give him an outside chance. Worth the application fee to find out.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:06 pm

HY chances not so hot because GPA is below median. And there are others who don't have the 158 to ponder over.

Personally I wouldn't explain anything when it comes to the old LSAT. When the difference is that dramatic, I would want people to make the excuse for you. If you provide an explanation there is always the chance someone doesn't like it. If you don't provide one, whoever that's looking at the score will try to figure out one that's acceptable. Mental games...

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby eaa1537 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:25 pm

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 pm

See without your explanation, I would just presume that you were nervous and mixed up the question number and misbubbled or something. I really wouldn't think you just underperformed (or "choked" no offense). I would read the schools' instructions and FAQ sections on their websites carefully and only submit something when it is "required". Since you don't have a good explanation, it is risky to write one. Even if you write exactly, truthfully what happened, since you can't substantiate that anyway, so it might end up sounding like a badly made up excuse. I can think of good reasons for it, but you would be making it up. I would just leave it be unless you are compelled to provide an answer. 26 point jump is not typically explained in 3 months so personally I wouldn't try to explain it.

kpuc
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby kpuc » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:36 pm

When schools report the stats of their admitted students to outside organizations, they only report the highest LSAT among re-takers, right?

So the schools themselves suffer no real penalties for admitting re-takers with high LSATs. Schools like HYS might have the luxury of being so choosy that they'd prefer the guy who got the 180 the first time as opposed to the guy who got the 180 the second time.

But I'm guessing that most schools will just see the 174, even if they claim to consider both scores.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 pm

kpuc wrote:When schools report the stats of their admitted students to outside organizations, they only report the highest LSAT among re-takers, right?

So the schools themselves suffer no real penalties for admitting re-takers with high LSATs. Schools like HYS might have the luxury of being so choosy that they'd prefer the guy who got the 180 the first time as opposed to the guy who got the 180 the second time.

But I'm guessing that most schools will just see the 174, even if they claim to consider both scores.


I don't think it is a preference thing, I think schools can use it as tie breakers. There are good qualities that can be inferred when you receive the target score in one shot as opposed to multiple shots. Many things in life only get one shot,. But those qualities are just softs at best.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby eaa1537 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:57 pm

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby jtemp320 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Hello numbers twin - I'm 174/3.86 w a retake of an earlier 167

Congrats thats a huge score jump - not sure where you'll get in but I hope you get some great options - it would bode well for me :)

Good luck!

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby eaa1537 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:17 pm

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Sun May 27, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Spinach Lover
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:20 am

Re: 158, 174 retake, 3.87 GPA

Postby Spinach Lover » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:00 pm





Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest