Chances at HYS and money at CCN? 4.0/177

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yzero1

Chances at HYS and money at CCN? 4.0/177

Postby yzero1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey guys,

It's been a dream of mine to get into one of HYS, and after Friday I think I have a good shot. However, I'm still a bit concerned since my softs are currently average at best.

LSDAS GPA: Currently at 4.14 (finance major at a Canadian university) but will likely fall a bit after my junior year
LSAT: 177 and an absent (if that matters)

Softs:
- A marketing internship in my first year
- Leadership experience as an executive on several university clubs
- Volunteer consultant for an organization that provides pro bono management consulting services to nonprofits
- Volunteer literacy tutor for an individual with a developmental delay
- Part-time work experience as a marketing/sales employee for The Princeton Review (hopefully an instructor soon as well)

I'm also applying for a banking/finance internship for the summer.

What are my chances at HYS? Will my softs hurt my chances? And lastly, what kind of scholarships can I get from CCN?

Knock

Re: Chances at HYS and money at CCN? 4.0/177

Postby Knock » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:32 pm

yzero1 wrote:Hey guys,

It's been a dream of mine to get into one of HYS, and after Friday I think I have a good shot. However, I'm still a bit concerned since my softs are currently average at best.

LSDAS GPA: Currently at 4.14 (finance major at a Canadian university) but will likely fall a bit after my junior year
LSAT: 177 and an absent (if that matters)

Softs:
- A marketing internship in my first year
- Leadership experience as an executive on several university clubs
- Volunteer consultant for an organization that provides pro bono management consulting services to nonprofits
- Volunteer literacy tutor for an individual with a developmental delay
- Part-time work experience as a marketing/sales employee for The Princeton Review (hopefully an instructor soon as well)

I'm also applying for a banking/finance internship for the summer.

What are my chances at HYS? Will my softs hurt my chances? And lastly, what kind of scholarships can I get from CCN?

In: H
Decent Chance: S
Somewhat of a chance: Y

With those numbers, you will definitely be in contention for the Hamilton (full-ride merit scholarship from Columbia) and Rubenstein (full-ride merit scholarship from Chicago), and NYU's scholarships, not sure what they're called.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:37 pm

I dont know why a maybe at stanford, they will love your 4.0. While these 3 schools are as unpredictable as they come, you clearly have a very good chance, you couldn't possibly put yourself in any better of a position at this point.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:40 pm

kkklick wrote:I dont know why a maybe at stanford, they will love your 4.0. While these 3 schools are as unpredictable as they come, you clearly have a very good chance, you couldn't possibly put yourself in any better of a position at this point.

Stanford values work experience, strong softs, diversity, and well-written essays. At S, numbers are just a prerequisite, and it's hard to just say "you're in" straight out of UG based on numbers. But I agree, OP has a very good chance, and couldn't be in a better position at this point.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:42 pm

I think you'll get in at all 3.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:43 pm

Knockglock wrote:
kkklick wrote:I dont know why a maybe at stanford, they will love your 4.0. While these 3 schools are as unpredictable as they come, you clearly have a very good chance, you couldn't possibly put yourself in any better of a position at this point.

Stanford values work experience, strong softs, diversity, and well-written essays. At S, numbers are just a prerequisite, and it's hard to just say "you're in" straight out of UG based on numbers. But I agree, OP has a very good chance, and couldn't be in a better position at this point.

+1

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 pm

legends159 wrote:I think you'll get in at all 3.

I hope you get in at all 3! I don't think there's any use in predicting Yale, but I do think you'll get into Harvard

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 pm

Hey guys, I appreciate your encouraging advice. I gather that my focus should now be on writing a compelling personal statement and improving my resume. I hope you guys are right about H though, as going there would certainly be a dream come true for me.

Another thing I'm considering is whether to go directly into law school from UG or defer acceptance for 1-2 years to get some work experience. Can anyone comment on the value of work experience when interviewing with law firms (especially at HYSCCN)?

Thanks!

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:03 pm

yzero1 wrote:Hey guys, I appreciate your encouraging advice. I gather that my focus should now be on writing a compelling personal statement and improving my resume. I hope you guys are right about H though, as going there would certainly be a dream come true for me.

Another thing I'm considering is whether to go directly into law school from UG or defer acceptance for 1-2 years to get some work experience. Can anyone comment on the value of work experience when interviewing with law firms (especially at HYSCCN)?

Thanks!

WE is not necessary. Sure it could help but not so much so to spend 1-2 years just getting it. If you want to be a lawyer just go to LS

tnrain

Postby tnrain » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Last edited by tnrain on Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:29 pm

tnrain wrote:Hey, Also a Canadian with similar stats. Do you mind sharing how your cycle went/what kind of $$ u recieved?

they havent posted in years

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 pm

tnrain wrote:Hey, Also a Canadian with similar stats. Do you mind sharing how your cycle went/what kind of $$ u recieved?

Yeah, wouldn't hold my breath for a response, but I think it's safe to assume their cycle went justttt fine

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:50 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:

Yeah, wouldn't hold my breath for a response, but I think it's safe to assume their cycle went justttt fine

+1 I bet OP got H/s for sure....Y is impossible to tell

tnrain

Postby tnrain » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Last edited by tnrain on Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 pm

I could be wrong here, but I don't think foreign gpa's are reported. But either way it shows you're a good student, I think you'll be happy with your outcome.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:I could be wrong here, but I don't think foreign gpa's are reported. But either way it shows you're a good student, I think you'll be happy with your outcome.

Canadian gpas are counted as well

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:48 pm

tnrain wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:

It's just that I actually saw him on a harvard accepted page recently(so I know he might still be on the website). Was just wondering what type of $$ he got from CCN or lower t-14 :(

Ahh, got ya, maybe try sending the OP a pm as well then? But even if you can't contact them, other applicants with those numbers often wind up multiple full-ride options. Wouldn't surprise me if you snagged a Ruby or a Hamilton if you have some decent softs to complement your numbers, and I am very confident you can swing a full ride in the lower T-14 :D

Return to “What are my chances?”