3.5/169/strong resume. Insight greatly appreciated!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Grizz

Re: 3.5/169/strong resume. Insight greatly appreciated!

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:01 pm

Tursion wrote:
rad law wrote:
Tursion wrote:Oh and one more thing (I'm really sorry I keep reposting), I just didn't think this would make a difference in admissions but I see others posting it too, so I guess I should throw it out there.

I'm applying to joint JD/Masters programs (Masters in Public Policy or Int'l Relations) as well to almost all of the schools I've listed. They are two entirely separate app processes, and I believe they don't affect admit decisions...or do they?

Why do you want this JD?

I don't know if this is TMI but I think both degrees are integral to the work I want to do. I want to ideally work at some place like the UN in the hopes of reform and with the ultimate goal of assisting developing nations. So the JD can give me a crucial understanding of the legal system of functioning democracies like the United States, while the Masters hones in on the field I want to actually work in. If anything I only want to practice law for the first part of my career, but it's definitely not what I'd like to do my entire life.

People who get these jobs are the HYSCCN kids and there aren't enough for everyone who wants them. If you want to assist developing nations and whatnot, a JD is probably not the best way to do this. Seriously. It's not worth getting a JD for the "understanding" alone if law is not your passion. You're not gonna get that much "understanding" anyway.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm

OP needs to retake, get 170 plus, then apply. LS isn't going anywhere anyway.

Tursion

Postby Tursion » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:18 pm

dresden doll wrote:OP needs to retake, get 170 plus, then apply. LS isn't going anywhere anyway.

You're totally right, that would be the best thing I can do, but due to personal circumstances I won't be able to retake it unfortunately :-/
So I'll def be going forward with apps this cycle. Planning on getting them in by mid-Nov.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far. If anyone has more please feel free to share!

Tursion

Postby Tursion » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 am

Hey all,

Just revisited this forum for some good memories. I want to update everyone on my status to let people know whether or not their predictions were right.

I got waitlisted at Duke, Northwestern, and Columbia.
I got into Cornell. I got into Michigan. And cherry on top, I got into Boalt.

So for a few people who really did put out those last three schools, mad props. You were spot on in your predictions!

I guess I really did have a chance and they are suckers for softs after all, aren't they? I was really discouraged when I read everyone's replies at first, and here we are today. So for anyone who gets really discouraged from these types of threads, HOPE LIVES ON.

Oh, and btw, Boalt accepted me 10 days after I applied. Dean's decision.

So I'll be pursuing a joint JD/MPP program with either Berkeley or Michigan Law, and the Harvard Kennedy School on a full-ride+stipend.

God bless!

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:38 am

Lol, I was just reading through this and wondering why everyone was saying "no shot at boalt." Congrats, that's a major victory for softs.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Tursion wrote:Ok thanks a lot I appreciate your honesty everyone. Truth hurts eh?

Does this help at all: my friend at Boalt is close with the Dean and put in a good word for me, and he asked her to email my name so he can be on the lookout for my application. She did, and he replied telling her he will keep that in mind and definitely look out for my app.

Also, I keep hearing conflicting things, that Boalt is either really big on GPA (from TLS forums), or that it really takes into account leadership experience and service to the community, even if it's a bit at the expense of GPA (from a BUNCH of people currently at Boalt).

You have no shot at Boalt.

edit: I wrote to tell these posters that they were talking total nonsense before I got to the end, after I wrote I realized that the thread was over. Good for you, this crap is totally uncalled for. wtf tls!

Tursion

Postby Tursion » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:06 am

Law Sauce wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Tursion wrote:Ok thanks a lot I appreciate your honesty everyone. Truth hurts eh?

Does this help at all: my friend at Boalt is close with the Dean and put in a good word for me, and he asked her to email my name so he can be on the lookout for my application. She did, and he replied telling her he will keep that in mind and definitely look out for my app.

Also, I keep hearing conflicting things, that Boalt is either really big on GPA (from TLS forums), or that it really takes into account leadership experience and service to the community, even if it's a bit at the expense of GPA (from a BUNCH of people currently at Boalt).

edit: I wrote to tell these posters that they were talking total nonsense before I got to the end, after I wrote I realized that the thread was over. Good for you, this crap is totally uncalled for. wtf tls!

Thanks for the love homies

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:25 am

Law Sauce wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Don't blame me; I told him not to go to law school.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Knowing my posting history, I probably told him to go to Duke.

Return to “What are my chances?”