Cornell EA and Fordham: 167/3.53

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jj821
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:24 am

Cornell EA and Fordham: 167/3.53

Postby jj821 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:12 pm

Retaking LSAT in December because my score was 7 points below PT average likely due to nerves, sleep deprivation and needing to pee for my first 3 sections. Question is, should I apply to Cornell EA anyway and hope to get in with what I got and use a better LSAT score in case of waitlist or should I hold off on a Cornell decision until after December so I don't get dinged? Better early with 167 or later possibly with 170?

Also, I should add, I have solid LORs, excellent PS, pretty good softs, and severe upward GPA trend (from 3.1 three semesters to 3.9 last three semesters.

Cornell is one of my top choices, so any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Also, if anyone has any insight on my Fordham chances with 3.53/167?? Thanks.
Last edited by jj821 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:15 pm

You won't get in as is since you are below both medians. I would retake.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:17 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:You won't get in as is since you are below both medians. I would retake.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:22 pm

You will be held over to RD and probably won't get a final decision until April regardless.

jj821
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:24 am

Re: Cornell EA and Fordham: 167/3.53

Postby jj821 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Bump, can I consider Fordham a safe school with these numbers?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Cornell EA and Fordham: 167/3.53

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:19 pm

jj821 wrote:Bump, can I consider Fordham a safe school with these numbers?

3.62 / 166.

Those were their medians. You're 1 point above their LSAT median and below their GPA median. I wouldn't consider it a safety.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell EA and Fordham: 167/3.53

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:24 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
jj821 wrote:Bump, can I consider Fordham a safe school with these numbers?

3.62 / 166.

Those were their medians. You're 1 point above their LSAT median and below their GPA median. I wouldn't consider it a safety.


True, but I would expect you to get in if you apply early. But looking at LSN there is a definite chance you would get waitlisted.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Cornell EA and Fordham: 167/3.53

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
jj821 wrote:Bump, can I consider Fordham a safe school with these numbers?

3.62 / 166.

Those were their medians. You're 1 point above their LSAT median and below their GPA median. I wouldn't consider it a safety.


+1. "Safety" means your LSAT and GPA are above (or at least at) the 75th percentile.

And if you are really set on Fordham, I have a friend who got rejected from the Day, got in the part-time and was able to transfer to full-time after 1L and still graduated in 3 years. Just sayin :)

rockylo88
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby rockylo88 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:25 am

whymeohgodno wrote:You won't get in as is since you are below both medians. I would retake.


Unless they only accept splitters, they accept some people below both medians (considering 50% of their students fall below at least one of the medians).

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:27 am

rockylo88 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:You won't get in as is since you are below both medians. I would retake.


Unless they only accept splitters, they accept some people below both medians (considering 50% of their students fall below at least one of the medians).


No not really. I think you are confusing mean with median.

rockylo88
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby rockylo88 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:51 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
rockylo88 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:You won't get in as is since you are below both medians. I would retake.


Unless they only accept splitters, they accept some people below both medians (considering 50% of their students fall below at least one of the medians).


No not really. I think you are confusing mean with median.


The median is the middle member of a ranked list; I'm pretty sure there are some students above both medians and some below both that get admitted.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:03 am

rockylo88 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
rockylo88 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:You won't get in as is since you are below both medians. I would retake.


Unless they only accept splitters, they accept some people below both medians (considering 50% of their students fall below at least one of the medians).


No not really. I think you are confusing mean with median.


The median is the middle member of a ranked list; I'm pretty sure there are some students above both medians and some below both that get admitted.


Some below doesn't mean 50% below. Also Cornell's 25th to 75th is probably the smallest range for a t14 school going from a 166-168. They don't take many splitters.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Cornell EA and Fordham: 167/3.53

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:08 am

Had very similar numbers. Got into Cornell and WL at Fordham. Many with similar numbers did not get into Cornell, seeing as 168 seemed to be the magic number.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Cornell EA: 167/3.53

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:58 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:You won't get in as is since you are below both medians. I would retake.


If you underperformed your PT average by 7 points, you are definitely strong retake material. Hold off until next cycle (if necessary) and profit.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests