Chances at George Washington with a 4.0 and 160

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
alaskaowl

Chances at George Washington with a 4.0 and 160

Postby alaskaowl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:59 pm

So, it looks as though I'm a reverse splitter. Graduated from a top 20 undergraduate (degree in History and Political Science) but only scored a 160 on LSAT (same score in June 09 and this past October).

I'm from rural Alaska and am from an incredibly economically disadvantaged background but am not a URM.

U Penn, Georgetown, and George Washington have always been my top choices and with this score, I know that I can throw out my applications to Georgetown and UPenn. But, my pre-law adviser also basically told me that I didn't stand a chance at GW either.

I just want to see if other people have a sense of GW and if I should apply or hold off until I can do something with this score.

thexfactor

Re: Chances at George Washington with a 4.0 and 160

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:02 pm

i know you dont want to hear this... but i would retake.....
With that said.. I would apply to all the schools in the gw range. uiuc/wustl/emory/nd/bc/bu/fordham.

It is going to be a crapshoot for you, but you will likely get something.

GW-prob WL/????.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/domeafavor/jd

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Retake asap.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

It sounds redundant but you really should retake.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:17 pm

Not gonna happen with a 160. Sorry.

alaskaowl

Postby alaskaowl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks! I think I will just apply with my current score and see what happens. If rejected, I will take LSAT again and reapply next year.

I was told basically the same thing for undergraduate as my SAT score was quite low but was ultimately admitted to many ivies and received a full ride at another T-20. Not that law school is anything like undergraduate. But, Alaska should count for something, even if it is just getting my application read instead of automatically tossed.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:31 pm

I'd retake. But with this score, I'd definitely hit up schools like UVA and Berkeley, which are known to accept splitters. Not sure about GW, it's definitely worth the app I think though.

I'd actually ED UVA, if the deadline hasn't passed (and you would actually want to go there).

alaskaowl

Postby alaskaowl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:36 pm

Oh, and I guess that technically I am partially a URM. My father is of European descent but my mother is Inuit (one of the Alaska native groups). I've always clicked the Caucasian box on applications, as that is what I look like and identify with, but technically I could do mixed with Alaska native and Caucasian. Not that it would likely make that much of a difference.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 pm

alaskaowl wrote:Oh, and I guess that technically I am partially a URM. My father is of European descent but my mother is Inuit (one of the Alaska native groups). I've always clicked the Caucasian box on applications, as that is what I look like and identify with, but technically I could do mixed with Alaska native and Caucasian. Not that it would likely make that much of a difference.

I'm not sure if Eskimo counts as URM for law school admissions?

I thought it was only African American/Native American/Certain Hispanic Groups.

I might be completely wrong however.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:43 pm

Um, your geographic diversity and URM status changes everything. Yes, Inuit counts for URM. Seriously. Apply to the entire top-14 and you'll get in somewhere probably. Maybe with a little money.

Return to “What are my chances?”