3.85/170, ED Columbia/NYU?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

What to do?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 am

Apply ED to NYU
40%
Apply ED to Columbia
20%
Apply ED to neither, ED a lesser school
5%
Don't ED anywhere. Go where the money is, even if it's not in NYC
35%

Total votes: 20

pereira6

3.85/170, ED Columbia/NYU?

Postby pereira6 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 am

These are my dream schools (I want the absolute best possible shot at working at a NYC BigLaw firm), however I am very hesitant about paying sticker (I'm a relatively poor upstate New Yorker). But the TLS majority says its worth it. So sign me up!

That said,

What are my chances?

Here's some details that may/may not work in my favor.

I will be graduating with a B.A./M.A. in Economics at the age of 20. I will still be 20 when law school starts in the fall. I am trying to spin this into a driven/focused/mature facet of my PS; just trying my best to assure them I am not unprepared or immature for law school. I like to think that because it's a Masters, it's not just a "oh I got my bachelor's fast" kinda thing.

Obviously, 0 work experience. I have had some quality, almost impressive part-time positions, but I know what is really meant by WE.

Non-URM.

2 Killer LOR's from people who matter.

The numbers websites make it look like I'm a guaranteed waitlister. I know they SAY it doesn't matter, but will an ED bump me up a little?
Last edited by pereira6 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

starrydreamz3

Re: 3.85/170, ED Columbia/NYU?

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:50 am

Have you checked out law school numbers to see what people in the past have gotten as scholarship money with your numbers? I think you're out of the range for a lot of merit scholarship, so that would leave just need-based.

I know you could spin it to make your age work for you, but have you thought of the possibility of taking a year off to work? Right now I'm applying this cycle but already have a great job at an investment bank lined up. So I'm kinda treating this cycle as a test run. If you were up for that, you could apply non-ed to all your schools. At best, you get great money to a great school. At worst, you don't get in, take a year off, and know to ED next year without worrying if you're losing out on money.

But if you want to work in big law firms, you're going to have people coming with a lot of work experience with companies/individuals those firms represent. In this competitive environment, one year of job experience couldn't hurt.

Either way, good luck this cycle!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:22 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Have you checked out law school numbers to see what people in the past have gotten as scholarship money with your numbers? I think you're out of the range for a lot of merit scholarship, so that would leave just need-based.

I know you could spin it to make your age work for you, but have you thought of the possibility of taking a year off to work? Right now I'm applying this cycle but already have a great job at an investment bank lined up. So I'm kinda treating this cycle as a test run. If you were up for that, you could apply non-ed to all your schools. At best, you get great money to a great school. At worst, you don't get in, take a year off, and know to ED next year without worrying if you're losing out on money.

But if you want to work in big law firms, you're going to have people coming with a lot of work experience with companies/individuals those firms represent. In this competitive environment, one year of job experience couldn't hurt.

Either way, good luck this cycle!

Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I know that Columbia and NYU I'm not going to get much help in the way of money. A risk I'm willing to take.

Ah, the inevitable "go work" suggestion. It's hard to explain I suppose, but I have to go to law school now. I'm ready to go, I'm excited for law school, and I've been looking forward to it since I was in high school. Also, working just doesn't sound attractive at all to me right now. If I was willing to take a year off, that is not a bad idea though!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:37 pm

Anybody in TLS have some other input?

Am I probably going to be waitlisted at one or both of these schools, even with an ED?

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:41 pm

pereira6 wrote:Anybody in TLS have some other input?

Am I probably going to be waitlisted at one or both of these schools, even with an ED?

ED to NYU is a likely admit. I have a friend with the same stats who applied last cycle ED to NYU and was accepted. He had no softs, straight out of undergrad, etc. Columbia might be a bit of a stretch, even ED. While CLS has much more lay prestige, the two are pretty much peer schools in the legal world and so if NYC BigLaw is the endgame, NYU is certainly competitive with CLS in getting its students these positions.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:49 pm

vsl89 wrote:
ED to NYU is a likely admit. I have a friend with the same stats who applied last cycle ED to NYU and was accepted. He had no softs, straight out of undergrad, etc. Columbia might be a bit of a stretch, even ED. While CLS has much more lay prestige, the two are pretty much peer schools in the legal world and so if NYC BigLaw is the endgame, NYU is certainly competitive with CLS in getting its students these positions.

Thank you for commenting!

Makes me think: If I ED to NYU, is it useless to RD to Columbia? If I get accepted at Columbia RD, surely it means I'll have a ED acceptance at NYU, no? Or should I throw 80 dollars at a Columbia app for the slight chance that NYU waitlists me and Columbia accepts? I'm just blabbering here haha but just looking for some answers.

Any thoughts on the entire situation from anyone on TLS would be awesome!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 pm

A completely shameful bump in order to get more views/responses :|

Forums and I definitely have a love/hate relationship haha

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 am

id say NYU ED is ur highest probability choice. still apply to Columbia RD - y not? its just 80 bucks and if something went horrible wrong w/ ur NYU ED and they put u on hold for RD admissions, at least ur still in the running for Columbia RD as well. there is an element of unpredictability sometimes in admissions....at least allow urself to b n position to reap the upside if it were to happen, u kno?

i would say that Columbia ED is slim so go w/ the NYU ED for sure

Postby 2014 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:30 am

It is probably worth the 80 bucks, but I doubt you get into either NYU or Columbia without ED. NYU you have a decent shot, but you are a full 2 points below this years LSAT median which went up, and your GPA isn't that much higher than median so I wouldn't consider it a slam dunk or even more than even odds.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:49 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/wildflower

3.8/170 This person didn't get in Columbia ED, but got in NYU via RD.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/EngineeringLawyer

3.7/170 In @ Columbia via ED

For you OP, I would bet:
- 40% chance of Columbia ED
- 5% chance of Columbia RD
- 95% chance of NYU ED
- 30% chance of NYU RD

If I were you, I would ED @ Columbia and RD @ NYU. Blanket the rest of MVP on down. And if you don't like the results of your cycle, then put those econ degrees to good use.

Good Luck!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:10 am

The Gentleman wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/wildflower

3.8/170 This person didn't get in Columbia ED, but got in NYU via RD.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/EngineeringLawyer

3.7/170 In @ Columbia via ED

For you OP, I would bet:
- 40% chance of Columbia ED
- 5% chance of Columbia RD
- 95% chance of NYU ED
- 30% chance of NYU RD

If I were you, I would ED @ Columbia and RD @ NYU. Blanket the rest of MVP on down. And if you don't like the results of your cycle, then put those econ degrees to good use.

Good Luck!

ED bumps my NYU chances up that much, huh?

p.s., bitchin' avatar. It was my halloween costume.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 am

pereira6 wrote:ED bumps my NYU chances up that much, huh?

p.s., bitchin' avatar. It was my halloween costume.

You asked for pure, unadulterated 0L speculation, and that's what I dish out.

You were Mr. Monopoly for halloween? lol. I was planning on going as him until my girlfriend pulled some jedi mind trick and convinced me to go as James Bond.

Return to “What are my chances?”