4.0/174. Chances at admission and scholarship.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
piccolittle

Re: 4.0/174. Chances at admission and scholarship.

Postby piccolittle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:56 pm

incompetentia wrote:Bacon is too amazing though. My girlfriend and I made bacon chocolate chip cookies yesterday and they are strangely delicious.

*leaves*

I love you.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 pm

catsparka wrote:Hi eit! I agree that you should definitely consider applying to other top schools even if they're not west coast. :)

Hey! I'm slowly becoming convinced. Depending on fee waivers, my list has stretched to:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia
Berkeley
UCLA
USC (?)
Lewis and Clark
UVic
University of Washington

Depending on fee waivers, I might weed some of those out.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:33 pm

eit wrote:
catsparka wrote:Hi eit! I agree that you should definitely consider applying to other top schools even if they're not west coast. :)

Hey! I'm slowly becoming convinced. Depending on fee waivers, my list has stretched to:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia

ftfy

save your moeny

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:40 pm

You mean don't apply anywhere else unless I get a fee waiver?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:51 pm

eit wrote:You mean don't apply anywhere else unless I get a fee waiver?

Even with a fee waiver you still gotta pay 15 bucks to LSAC to send the application. With your numbers I wouldn't apply anywhere outside the T4, not counting the schools in Canada. But if having more objectively inferior options on the talbe is worth 15 bucks per application, go for it.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:01 pm

SOMEONESAIDBACONZOMGHEREITGOES!

For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Yeah, eit you should be applying to all of the top schools. Even if you're not sure that you would go, you owe it to yourself to find out. Start at the top and work your way down.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Yeah, eit you should be applying to all of the top schools. Even if you're not sure that you would go, you owe it to yourself to find out. Start at the top and work your way down.

Depending on softs, I'd honestly tell her to app for Yale and Harvard, too. Although she won't get a full ride, the LRAP from said schools pretty much give you a warranty against the job market.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:07 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Yeah, eit you should be applying to all of the top schools. Even if you're not sure that you would go, you owe it to yourself to find out. Start at the top and work your way down.

Depending on softs, I'd honestly tell her to app for Yale and Harvard, too. Although she won't get a full ride, the LRAP from said schools pretty much give you a warranty against the job market.

Yeah, I agree... she has a realistic shot with those numbers. It is worth a shot.

Good job, eit... You're going to do awesome no matter where you go.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:53 am

ResolutePear wrote:

LRAP does not apply to private loans. I think you guys are giving her bad advice.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if that applies to Harvard. They don't seem to have structured their LIPP around IBR like several other top schools have. My advice is make sure LIPP or the various LRAP programs cover private loans. Several (I think most) don't.
Last edited by cigrainger on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:54 am

cigrainger wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

LRAP does not apply to private loans. I think you guys are giving her bad advice.

How is Yale or Harvard bad advice?

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:56 am

ResolutePear wrote:
cigrainger wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

It's terrible advice if she's a Canadian citizen who has to take out purely private loans if she wants to work just about anywhere but biglaw.

Edited: But Harvard's LIPP covers private loans, so it's great advice.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:03 am

Yeah, I'm being dumb, just check and make sure. I think Berkeley's only covers federal loans now. But it appears all of YHS cover both.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:29 am

cigrainger wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
cigrainger wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

It's terrible advice if she's a Canadian citizen who has to take out purely private loans if she wants to work just about anywhere but biglaw.

Edited: But Harvard's LIPP covers private loans, so it's great advice.

Yale is a golden ticket to a clerkship. Harvard and Yale are golden tickets to academia, big law, government positions, etc.

What else would you want? :lol:

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:09 am

Given that Yale and Harvard and Stanford are all somewhat iffy even on admissions chances, I think I am going to apply just to see what happens. If I can't afford it or would need insane private loans, well, I'll probably end up going to a lower ranked or Canadian school that offers more scholarship money. Just because I apply doesn't mean I have to go. But that's why I am going to apply to some lower ranked schools.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 am

eit wrote:Given that Yale and Harvard and Stanford are all somewhat iffy even on admissions chances, I think I am going to apply just to see what happens. If I can't afford it or would need insane private loans, well, I'll probably end up going to a lower ranked or Canadian school that offers more scholarship money. Just because I apply doesn't mean I have to go. But that's why I am going to apply to some lower ranked schools.

You absolutely should go. Get the private loans. You will be able to pay them back, and if not, the loan repayment assistance programs at those schools cover private loans. You will be in great shape.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:22 am

Ragged wrote:
eit wrote:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia

ftfy

save your moeny

+1

Thats my list this year with 4/ 174

I guess I'll be your beta test...

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:13 pm

4for44 wrote:
Ragged wrote:
eit wrote:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia

ftfy

save your moeny

+1

Well, considering the top schools are so difficult to predict, I'm going to add a few safeties, I think. But those will be my goals.

And do you have any great softs? Otherwise yes, I shall be following you around :). Good luck! Which one are you hoping for?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm totally rooting for you to get in everywhere, eit. I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait until the next cycle to find out.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 pm

eit wrote:
4for44 wrote:
Ragged wrote:
eit wrote:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia

ftfy

save your moeny

+1

Well, considering the top schools are so difficult to predict, I'm going to add a few safeties, I think. But those will be my goals.

And do you have any great softs? Otherwise yes, I shall be following you around :). Good luck! Which one are you hoping for?

omg, it is the now (in)famous eit! never met you or even saw a post of yours...but cornell started a whole thread dedicated to you, which grew quite quickly -- for better or worse, the name eit is now an alias i feel obliged to know on TLS lol.

commenting on your chances and 4for44's as well: my numbers (in profile) are very similar...and my softs are standard for coming straight from undergrad. i only applied to the 3 in my profile (+1 more undisclosed safety that i got into) -- i wouldnt like my chances at yale at all (not just the #'s, but lacking the softs too imo), but id feel confident about stanford (as should you). no idea how being from a canadian school will affect you, however. no idea how scholarship $ will work either, but the top 3 (or HLS at least) does not award merit scholarships -- period (I read YS are the same, but that may not be factually accurate).

best of luck in your cycle(s)!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Yeah, I think I'll shoot an application off to Yale, Stanford, and Harvard just to see. I don't honestly expect Yale (although the rejection will be very sad) and I'm iffy on Stanford and Harvard, although I see you got in. Did you receive any scholarship money at Columbia?

Harvard does only financial aid based on need, but hopefully they'll think I need some (which I do, lol).

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 pm

eit wrote:
4for44 wrote:
+1

I have some decent PI and government softs, but nothing spectacular (you can pm if you really want to know). However, I was just offered a Job for next year in a field I really enjoy, so I'd be willing to do that over any but those 4 (mind you I still might defer!). Worst case scenario: reapplying until they take me! haha

I really would like Y... but you know... that school doesn't actually exist... (i.e. nobody gets in)

I would LOVE any of YHS and I would REALLY LIKE Columbia- so you know :)

theadw

Postby theadw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:omg, it is the now (in)famous eit! never met you or even saw a post of yours...but cornell started a whole thread dedicated to you, which grew quite quickly -- for better or worse, the name eit is now an alias i feel obliged to know on TLS lol.

commenting on your chances and 4for44's as well: my numbers (in profile) are very similar...and my softs are standard for coming straight from undergrad. i only applied to the 3 in my profile (+1 more undisclosed safety that i got into) -- i wouldnt like my chances at yale at all (not just the #'s, but lacking the softs too imo), but id feel confident about stanford (as should you). no idea how being from a canadian school will affect you, however. no idea how scholarship $ will work either, but the top 3 (or HLS at least) does not award merit scholarships -- period (I read YS are the same, but that may not be factually accurate).

The bolded is true; Yale & Stanford offer only (quite a lot of) need-based aid.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I'm totally rooting for you to get in everywhere, eit. I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait until the next cycle to find out.

Thanks!

I know, it's crazy how long I have. But when I think about how much research I have to do for each application (I'm going to try to tailor my apps) and LORs and crap... ahh! It doesn't seem long enough!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:39 pm

theadw wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:commenting on your chances and 4for44's as well: my numbers (in profile) are very similar...and my softs are standard for coming straight from undergrad. i only applied to the 3 in my profile (+1 more undisclosed safety that i got into) -- i wouldnt like my chances at yale at all (not just the #'s, but lacking the softs too imo), but id feel confident about stanford (as should you). no idea how being from a canadian school will affect you, however. no idea how scholarship $ will work either, but the top 3 (or HLS at least) does not award merit scholarships -- period (I read YS are the same, but that may not be factually accurate).

The bolded is true; Yale & Stanford offer only (quite a lot of) need-based aid.

Definitely something to consider should I get into either one of them.

Return to “What are my chances?”