chance me please/AND APP QUESTION..178/3.2 AA Male Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Apply next year?

Apply next year?
33%
I still have about an equal shot, it is worth applying now?
67%

Total votes: 6

DieAntwoord

Bronze

chance me please/AND APP QUESTION..178/3.2 AA Male

Post by DieAntwoord » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 pm

First time poster, loooong time lurker. I have been getting great info from this forum and I was hoping to get some more :) One day I promise to give back when I have accumulated the vast knowledge of the admissions process.

178(retake)/3.2 AA Male T3.
I want the most options in regards to career and location. I'm from TX so of course SMU, UH, and UT are on my list. A little worried about leaving Texas which is doing relatively well ITE.

Since softs seem to not matter I'll write them in a smaller font and you can just ignore them:president of club, 3.9 in the last two years (low gpa largely a result of community college hopelessness :D , thought i was going to just join the military), 1.5 years out of undergrad with some odd working experince, some volunteer activities, worked full time throughout school, I think I will have reasonable loc and a good ps and ds

for my fellow oct lsaters:
Last edited by DieAntwoord on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Hi,...chance me please......178/3.2 AA Male T3

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:14 pm

URM with a 178?

Your only decision will be T10 with money, or one of HYS without.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:23 pm

kalvano wrote:URM with a 178?

Your only decision will be T10 with money, or one of HYS without.
Yep

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:32 pm

PS unless the idea of leaving Texas makes you miserable

Apply to the T5 and pick a couple of other T14 schools at least

AA with a 178 and good softs will net you money a lot of places and offers of admission all the way at the top

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:01 pm

jtemp320 wrote:PS unless the idea of leaving Texas makes you miserable

AA with a 178 and good softs will net you money a lot of places and offers of admission all the way at the top
I would prefer to go somewhere where it snows!
but job wise do you think tx would still be a good market for me if i left for school? Im a little worried about the market. And what about the fact that I went to an unranked school and didnt do too hot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FishOil

New

Post by FishOil » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:03 pm

Your 178 completely outshines the 3.2

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:08 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:PS unless the idea of leaving Texas makes you miserable

I would prefer to go somewhere where it snows!
but job wise do you think tx would still be a good market for me if i left for school? Im a little worried about the market. And what about the fact that I went to an unranked school and didnt do too hot.

LOL. You aren't getting this. You will get in to at least one of the top 3 law schools in the entire country. Assuming you do well there, as your LSAT score indicates you can, and being URM, virtually every door imaginable will be open to you. Forget Texas and the schools there. You will be able to go anywhere you want.

Think bigger.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:17 pm

I think people are overly optimistic about traditional splitter URMs. Y and S probably out, maybe H too.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:27 pm

IAFG wrote:I think people are overly optimistic about traditional splitter URMs. Y and S probably out, maybe H too.

I think you're nuts. An AA male with a 178 is def a lock at HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:46 pm

a 178 is a very rare thing, there are only a handful of AA males with 178s in the whole country if not HYS then CCN for sure probably with $

if you want to work in Texas go to a T6 and then apply for jobs after graduation - much better prospects then UTexas or anything else in state

if you want snow you will get snow - if not in Cambridge or New Haven then in Harlem, Greenwich Village or the south side of Chicago

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
IAFG wrote:I think people are overly optimistic about traditional splitter URMs. Y and S probably out, maybe H too.

APNS got H but not Y or S with 174/3.5 and dinged CLS ED; I know a few traditional splitter AA males here at NU. It's hard to know for sure because it is rare but it defies the admission offices' assumption that there is a testing bias against URMs that is part of the reasoning behind URM boosts.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:26 am

retake

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:30 am

Only school thats out is yale. Lowest accepted GPA in last few years has been 3.5

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:31 am

IAFG wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

APNS got H but not Y or S with 174/3.5 and dinged CLS ED; I know a few traditional splitter AA males here at NU. It's hard to know for sure because it is rare but it defies the admission offices' assumption that there is a testing bias against URMs that is part of the reasoning behind URM boosts.
Boy those college statistics classes....

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:30 am

Oban wrote:Only school thats out is yale. Lowest accepted GPA in last few years has been 3.5
this
I think the lowest gpa for stanford was a 3.14 or something, but that could have been Jesus.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:26 am

Is your AA asian american or african american, you cant trust people these days.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 am

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:24 am

IAFG wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

:!: :shock: :!:
I know AA males/females with similar GPAs and much lower LSATs that got in CLS RD.. something else is going on with that app.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:38 am

sophia.olive wrote:Is your AA asian american or african american, you cant trust people these days.
The latter

Since the poster above has better stats and got dinged from CLS ed should i even bother? Also I heard that they only had 6 black males in the last entering class. Does anyone know if this is true, I do not want to be one of six even on Columbia's beautiful campus.

I don't have the money to shoot all my apps out at once so im strategizing. I hate to be so needy but what do you guys think about this: UVA, Michigan, Texas (hoping there is some scholarship money in there somewhere still) and Harvard.
Then whatever money I can strap together in the next couple weeks I use for NYU, WUSTL, Columbia, University of Houston, Chicago.

edit: Im basing this off last years decision dates. And I wont have to pay rent if I go to UH. Maybe I should switch texas and nyu. Also, im not too distraught about stanford because i dont think it snows in palo alto :D
Last edited by DieAntwoord on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:46 am

DieAntwoord wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:Is your AA asian american or african american, you cant trust people these days.
The latter

Since the poster above has better stats and got dinged from CLS ed should i even bother? Also I heard that they only had 6 black males in the last entering class. Does anyone know if this is true, I do not want to be one of six even on Columbia's beautiful campus.

I don't have the money to shoot all my apps out at once so im strategizing. I hate to be so needy but what do you guys think about this: UVA, Michigan, Texas (hoping there is some scholarship money in there somewhere still) and Harvard.
Then whatever money I can strap together in the next couple weeks I use for NYU, WUSTL, Columbia, University of Houston, Chicago.
First, you do realize that Columbia is 1) a part of a larger university with people of all races 2) In NYC, a city of like 12 million ppl of all races 3) The major purpose of attending these schools is to obtain elite employment, where there will be few black people. Apply to all the schools you listed. Almost definitely in with money at WUSTL so remove Houston. You should also apply to Vandy, they are known to be generous with aid (however your anxiety of going to school without black people maybe you might want to steer away). Im going to PM you my stats/details of my cycle so far.

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:50 am

You will get fee waivers from those schools and it will just cost you $12 to apply or whatever it is. Just send the school an email and say "i'm really want to apply to your school but the application fee is difficult for me to pay. i'm hoping to receive a merit-based or diversity-based fee waiver. I scored a 178 on the October 2010 lsat, and I'm an african-american applicant."

Apply to YHS to give yourself that option, and then to any t-14 that you would consider going to for free because you have a strong chance of receiveing a full ride at one or more of them. Then apply to any other schools you would consider going to for free. Texas, Vandy, Emory, UCLA, USC, GW, UGA, BC, UNC, wherever you like. You will be able to attend a T15-T30 for free at the very, very worst.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:15 am

Do you think I'm justified in asking for merit-waivers with a 3.2, this doesn't seem ridiculous to you?

Wouldn't it be more advantageous to apply to the schools that I might be able to get scholarships from first because the money might run out before my chances at just getting into other schools is greatly reduced.

tkgrrett- 1. You are right. 2. You are right again.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:48 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote: apns didn't apply to yale or stanford. and he still would have gone to harvard had he gotten into either.

op has a well over 50% shot at harvard if his application is solid, but its by no means a sure shot. but i agree that he won't be attending law school in palo alto or new haven.
:shock:

HE'S BACK!

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:52 am

Dude, you have a 178. You can go anywhere, and get money.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Just ask for the waivers. :roll:
Above poster doesn't know what he/she is talking about. (i mean come on look at that avatar)
Cost of living is about 60,000 give or take so i dont think that UHouston consideration is without merit. Also, Houston is a good place to be looking for a job.
Last edited by sophia.olive on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”