IVY league failure then Graduate comeback

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
taxman914

IVY league failure then Graduate comeback

Postby taxman914 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Here is my situation:

I attended a top 5 ivy league university, but graduated with a 2.1 GPA (sociology major). Shortly after, I completed a second bachelors in business admin at a mediocre state school while working at the same time. Due to some grades having to be carried over from my first school, my overall GPA for my 2nd bachelors was a meager 2.7. Then I completed a masters in accountancy (accounting information systems) at the same state school with a GPA of 3.75. I finally attended USC's masters in business taxation program (top 5 graduate accounting program) and graduated with a 3.8. I also have strong letters of recommendation from USC. This all happened over a span of 12 years.

I have social services and accounting related work experience, but nothing extraordinarily impressive. I have recently taken my LSATs and scored a 176. I want to go into tax law, but feel my failures as an undergrad 10 years ago won't be overlooked by the admissions committees at a top 10 law school. I know that admissions can be really random and even deviants such as me do get accepted. However, realistically, what is everyone's opinion on my chances of getting into a top 10 law school? Thanks ahead of time for everyone's input!

vanwinkle

Re: IVY league failure then Graduate comeback

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:12 pm

ED to Northwestern immediately. It's your only shot at T14.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:ED to Northwestern immediately. It's your only shot at T14.

Agreed. But realistically what the fuck are you doing? It sounds like you've been a student for over a decade? Unless these programs were part time that means you've never had a real job. Are you just delaying adulthood with school?

How much debt to you already have?

NU may fear you are just a degree collector, and a loser. If you were doing this shit part time, and have had a solid career, you've got a good shot there.

taxman914

Postby taxman914 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:29 pm

I am a CPA and have a year experience with a Big 4. The other 5-6 years have been in accounting/social services with governmental agencies. All the graduate programs were completed full-time, but through evening classes. I've just been getting a lot of conflicting info from colleagues and friends, so wanted to hear the opinions of others.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:35 pm

taxman914 wrote:I am a CPA and have a year experience with a Big 4. The other 5-6 years have been in accounting/social services with governmental agencies. All the graduate programs were completed full-time, but through evening classes. I've just been getting a lot of conflicting info from colleagues and friends, so wanted to hear the opinions of others.

Then definitely apply to NU Early Decision. You'll have to fly to chicago for an interview so get working on that.

Most schools are going to see that 2.1 and shit their pants and reject you. You are going to want to apply to Georgetown Part time, also Illinois, Minnesota, Washington University, Iowa, and Indiana.

taxman914

Postby taxman914 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
taxman914 wrote:I am a CPA and have a year experience with a Big 4. The other 5-6 years have been in accounting/social services with governmental agencies. All the graduate programs were completed full-time, but through evening classes. I've just been getting a lot of conflicting info from colleagues and friends, so wanted to hear the opinions of others.

Then definitely apply to NU Early Decision. You'll have to fly to chicago for an interview so get working on that.

Most schools are going to see that 2.1 and shit their pants and reject you. You are going to want to apply to Georgetown Part time, also Illinois, Minnesota, Washington University, Iowa, and Indiana.

Yea, a lot of my friends who graduated from t5 law schools say that it might just be smarter to focus on a t25 and shoot for partial/full scholarships. Maybe attending UCLA or USC (local schools) or even part-time programs might be a smarter move if I intend on staying on the west coast. The chances of working in biglaw may be slimmer, but return on investment will be much higher. Logically, this makes a lot of sense, but my asian blood is screaming "it's T14 or nada!"

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:53 pm

taxman914 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yea, a lot of my friends who graduated from t5 law schools say that it might just be smarter to focus on a t25 and shoot for partial/full scholarships. Maybe attending UCLA or USC (local schools) or even part-time programs might be a smarter move if I intend on staying on the west coast. The chances of working in biglaw may be slimmer, but return on investment will be much higher. Logically, this makes a lot of sense, but my asian blood is screaming "it's T14 or nada!"

You won't get UCLA or USC. Hell you might not Davis or Hastings. You MIGHT get 1/3 tution scholarship at Illinois, WUSTL or Minnesota, but that's not enough to skip Northwestern. Esp if you want west coast.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:58 pm

taxman914 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You are seriously underestimating how much that 2.1 is going to hurt you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:ED to Northwestern immediately. It's your only shot at T14.

This. 2.1 = shit.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:19 pm

taxman914 wrote:Yea, a lot of my friends who graduated from t5 law schools say that it might just be smarter to focus on a t25 and shoot for partial/full scholarships. Maybe attending UCLA or USC (local schools) or even part-time programs might be a smarter move if I intend on staying on the west coast. The chances of working in biglaw may be slimmer, but return on investment will be much higher. Logically, this makes a lot of sense, but my asian blood is screaming "it's T14 or nada!"

You won't get into UCLA. You won't get into any UC school. Davis and Hastings would WL or reject you. The UC schools in particular hate low GPAs.

But the truth is that nearly all schools will have GPA "floors" above 2.1. Northwestern is rare in that it's taken several 2.x splitters and the floor hasn't been found yet. You're facing a very hard uphill battle from where you are to get in anywhere worth attending at all.

Return to “What are my chances?”