168/3.82 --Math major. T14 chances? application strategies?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
balenciagar

168/3.82 --Math major. T14 chances? application strategies?

Postby balenciagar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:46 pm

Straight from undergrad. Graduation with Distinction (senior thesis). Average softs and LORs. Good diversity statement.

I want T14, and maybe T15-20 if I get scholly.

Q1: Worth applying ED to one of CCN? Would it be useless to apply to the other two for RD because my LSAT is lower than their 25% LSAT?

Q2: Should I just blanket Berkeley down to GULC or is it worth taking the risk to apply to only those schools I would really like?
Berkeley -- with relatively better GPA and bad LSAT, worth applying right?
Duke – I have legacy. Any chances to get scholly?
Northwestern – I don’t have WE and my numbers aren’t stellar, so I doubt getting in. I love its focus in practicality though. Still worth a try?
DON’T LIKEs:
UVA -- don’t like collegetown and beer + party stuff. Duke > UVA for me.
Cornell -- Law school predictor says ADMIT. Is $ possible to negotiate money for others?
DON’T KNOWs:
Michigan -- Is it really cold there? Worth sticker?
Penn – how’s job placement in NYC? Worth sticker?
GULC – I don’t want any federal jobs in DC. Is it possible to get some $? Worth sticker?

Q3: T15-20. Where can I expect the biggest scholly with decent job placement in NYC or LA?
WUSTL: Can I expect big money for this school? If no, I won’t bother applying.
DON’T LIKEs;
Vandy & UT – Oh south.

Thanks in advance :)

Other25BeforeYou

Re: 168/3.82 --Math major. T14 chances? application strategies?

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:57 pm

balenciagar wrote:Duke – I have legacy. Any chances to get scholly?

Doubt you'll get in in the first place, probably WL (unless your legacy is someone who's donated a building or somesuch).

Reckon the only place in the T14 you'll get in is Cornell. Tossup whether you'll be WL or in at UCLA, probably in at Vandy, in at USC.

Duke is worth trying for, but in general I'd pick some new law schools to like.
Last edited by Other25BeforeYou on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:

Doubt you'll get in in the first place, probably WL (unless you're legacy is someone who's donated a building or somesuch).

Reckon the only place in the T14 you'll get in is Cornell. Tossup whether you'll be WL or in at UCLA, probably in at Vandy, in at USC.

Don't listen to this guy. Throw applications everywhere. Odds of getting a scholarship at Duke is VERY likely...especially if you play the legacy card. You want to apply everywhere in the T14. This will guarantee you at least one good scholly.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

Doubt you'll get in in the first place, probably WL (unless you're legacy is someone who's donated a building or somesuch).

Don't listen to this guy. Throw applications everywhere. Odds of getting a scholarship at Duke is VERY likely...especially if you play the legacy card. You want to apply everywhere in the T14. This will guarantee you at least one good scholly.

I'm a girl, and if you look at LSN charts (here's duke's: http://duke.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/), these numbers place him or her in a mass of yellow in terms of last year's numbers for every school he mentioned except for Cornell, Vandy, USC, and WUSTL.

I'm not saying he shouldn't throw some apps to 7-14, especially Duke, I'm just realistically saying he shouldn't have high expectations.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

I'm a girl, and if you look at LSN charts (here's duke's: http://duke.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/), these numbers place him or her in a mass of yellow in terms of last year's numbers for every school he mentioned except for Cornell, Vandy, USC, and WUSTL.

I'm not saying he shouldn't throw some apps to 7-14, especially Duke, I'm just realistically saying he shouldn't have high expectations.

I'M FLAMING YOU

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:13 pm

You like Duke...but you don't like Vandy and UT because they are in the South?

balenciagar

Postby balenciagar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:51 pm

nsideirish wrote:You like Duke...but you don't like Vandy and UT because they are in the South?

I prefer working in big cities after I graduate from LS, and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like my chances of getting stuck in the market around the school is higher for T15 and below. I would go to Duke because that have good job placement in NYC and other big cities.

Btw, I am a huge fan of Duke basketball :D

balenciagar

Postby balenciagar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Bump.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Columbia Law wrote:I'M FLAMING YOU

Sorry, I see naive optimism enough on these boards that I no longer pick up sarcasm when it's intended (particularly from someone I wrongly assumed was a 0L -- unobservant-ness for the win).

balenciagar

Postby balenciagar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Well, the Duke scholly was conditional on the case I get accepted.

So blanket T14 - HYS? How about ED? One of the CCN or Michigan/Duke/ somewhere else? Don't ED at all?

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:18 am

balenciagar wrote:Well, the Duke scholly was conditional on the case I get accepted.

So blanket T14 - HYS? How about ED? One of the CCN or Michigan/Duke/ somewhere else? Don't ED at all?

No man, Columbia Law was being sarcastic. If you've got spare money to throw at application fees, applying to Duke, Michigan, and Georgetown would probably be your best bets for reaches, but the chance of you being accepted at any of them are pretty slim.

If you really want Duke, use your ED there.

Applying to HYSCCN would almost certainly be a waste of money. Cornell is likely going to be your only option in the T14, so if you want NY, go there or Vandy. If you want LA, go to UCLA (if you get in) or USC.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 am

Agree with above post. Enjoy Cornell/UT/Vandy.

balenciagar

Postby balenciagar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Hmm. If I fall in somewhere between the 25% and 75% for LSAT and GPA, what are my chances to get in? Say if I am right at the median for a school, what are my chances? like 50%? 40%?

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 pm

balenciagar wrote:Hmm. If I fall in somewhere between the 25% and 75% for LSAT and GPA, what are my chances to get in? Say if I am right at the median for a school, what are my chances? like 50%? 40%?

I would say about 50% of at the very least a WL->In, given that right at the median means exactly at or slightly above. If the median LSAT is 169 or 170 that one or two points below is going to affect you more than some people would think.

Return to “What are my chances?”