3.93/173 + Predicament

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

3.93/173 + Predicament

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:13 pm

I just got back my lsat score (173) after my second attempt (first was a cancel). I know my numbers are good enough to get me considered at most of the schools on my list, (all Cali, all NYC, 6-20, Vandy, WUSTL, w&L, etc...), but I was constantly scoring around 175-177 on my PTs. I graduate in December, so if I took February, then I perhaps I could increase my score and see if any apps change or delay a year. I really want $$$. Does this seem foolish? Also, what are my chances now at the following:

YHS
Penn
NYU
Columbia
Michigan
Boalt
USC
UCLA
Fordham
Washington and Lee
Vandy
WUSTL
Duke
and UVA

I am a non-URM with good softs, a compelling PS, and good LORs.

Thanks.
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: 3.93/170 + Predicament

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Hey there, I'm going to leave out predictions on acceptance with your current numbers, because I'd just be looking at LSN. Others may have better insight that goes beyond that. But as to your quandary, I would say...

Were your PTs taken under realistic conditions? Can you identify what you did wrong on the actual test and be confident that it wouldn't happen again? And if yes to the above, why couldn't you take the test in December? If you can't take it till February, I think you're better off waiting to apply till the next cycle in order to have the best chance at acceptance and money. Assuming you can pull a 175 you should be a lock at everything below YHS, money at most of them, and have a decent chance at YSH as well, if you don't apply late in the cycle.

You can also apply now with what you've got and re-evaluate whether to wait based on your offers.

Good luck.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: 3.93/170 + Predicament

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Excellence,

I wanted to wait till February because I thought I could study a little better once finals are over. Yes, all my tests were under real conditions-- timed, no real break, etc.; I didn't however take any five-section test this time around. Still, I don't think that is enough to cause such a drop from my PT "average."

I also want to take February because I want to see how my cycle plays out and if I am happy with it. If not, I could just retake in Feb or June, and apply for the next cycle. I have few reservations about waiting a year.

User avatar
theadw
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Re: 3.93/170 + Predicament

Postby theadw » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:53 pm

If you're more concerned about YHS acceptances, retake in February. If you're more concerned with money, apply next year. Schools that offer merit money generally (exclusively?) do so upon acceptance, and generally use that money up before Feb. scores are released. That's to say that while a late LSAT may land you an acceptance from the aforementioned three schools, its unlikely to wring merit aid from others. See my cycle for details.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: 3.93/170 + Predicament

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 pm

theadw wrote:If you're more concerned about YHS acceptances, retake in February. If you're more concerned with money, apply next year. Schools that offer merit money generally (exclusively?) do so upon acceptance, and generally use that money up before Feb. scores are released. That's to say that while a late LSAT may land you an acceptance from the aforementioned three schools, its unlikely to wring merit aid from others. See my cycle for details.


well, even for YHS, Feb retake may be too late. obviously they would never accept it if it were your first (and only) score, and an addendum might hold them off till late feb, your chances arent that great due to the number of seats they'd already be giving out (except maybe at YLS, but then you need an amazing resume to supplement your numbers).

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: 3.93/170 + Predicament

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 pm

.
Last edited by starrydreamz3 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: 3.93/170 + Predicament

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Do you think a December LSAT might get me more dough?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6341
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 3.93/170 + Predicament

Postby 5ky » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:20 pm

.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest