Advice Greatly Appreciated!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dirtrida2

Advice Greatly Appreciated!

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Blampppppppppp
Last edited by dirtrida2 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtrida2

Re: 154/3.6 - Advice Greatly Appreciated!

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Im also nervous that with my major being American Studies I have no other option, other than law school, than to teach.

This is really nerve-racking right now, I feel like my future is just hanging by a thread.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Retake. If you cannot exert the effort for a respectable score, of which i believe anybody is capable, then how are you going to hold up in law school?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Well like stated above, I was wondering whether or not it would be beneficial for me to take a year off to gain experience and retake - or just buckle down and take it again in December and apply late. I just get worried that I am going to apply too late.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:46 pm

rescheduled to take the test again - hoping to get a 160-162

think december test will leave me ample time to be competitive in the application process?

shooting for cardozo, and maybe money to like a rutgers, etc... anything tristate area!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:50 pm

id be really scared right now to go to carbozo.... do not take career stats at face value! the job market is terrible.

if are just looking for a career. do masters of accounting. anyone with a pulse can get a job and career as an accountant. or go to the carribbean for med school. doctors are MUCH more in demand....

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:07 pm

So pretty much anyone on here assumes that anything less than a t14 school will lead to an unpromising career?

I found that quite hard to believe, if not a pompous response in itself.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:25 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:So pretty much anyone on here assumes that anything less than a t14 school will lead to an unpromising career?

I found that quite hard to believe, if not a pompous response in itself.

Nice straw man, bro.

Cardozo is objectively bad in this economy. NY is saturated. You do NOT want to work doc. review.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:30 pm

would you really be able to find work outside the city?

would you advise like boston or connecticut?

i always assumed that the only way to find a suitable career was in or around NYC

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:40 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:would you really be able to find work outside the city?

would you advise like boston or connecticut?

i always assumed that the only way to find a suitable career was in or around NYC

Cardozo degree doesn't really have legs. Especially not in Boston. They're fairly insular and already have BC/BU.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Oh well what I meant was - Actually selecting a school in one of those outside cities, not taking your NY degree elsewhere. If you say its very saturated, then would you find better luck going outside the city for school selection?

With my score range I looked at CardozoFordham as the most prestigious because of statistics and ranking... then looked down the line to say Brooklyn, Rutgers, St Johns, Seton Hall, Uconn, etc.. etc..

Assuming that Fordham/Cardozo would be best options and as the ranking proceed, so would the importance of school selection.

Seton Hall and St. Johns aren't too appealing based off their high tuition rates, poor facilities, and low ranked status. Upon doing further research, I did find that Rutgers was on the cheaper side and still held pretty respectable numbers and amenities.

I just can't seem to find an appropriate school in my score range. (going to retake as well shoot for 160-162).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:18 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Oh well what I meant was - Actually selecting a school in one of those outside cities, not taking your NY degree elsewhere. If you say its very saturated, then would you find better luck going outside the city for school selection?

With my score range I looked at CardozoFordham as the most prestigious because of statistics and ranking... then looked down the line to say Brooklyn, Rutgers, St Johns, Seton Hall, Uconn, etc.. etc..

Assuming that Fordham/Cardozo would be best options and as the ranking proceed, so would the importance of school selection.

Seton Hall and St. Johns aren't too appealing based off their high tuition rates, poor facilities, and low ranked status. Upon doing further research, I did find that Rutgers was on the cheaper side and still held pretty respectable numbers and amenities.

I just can't seem to find an appropriate school in my score range. (going to retake as well shoot for 160-162).

I have no idea what you're trying to say here, but for NY I wouldn't go any lower than Fordham. If you want to practice in Jersey, Rutgers or Seton Hall with a massive scholarship wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:15 pm

i went to a T2/ borderline T1 myself for my first year of LS.

I won the lottery and finished pretty high at my old LS with LR honors. I had a BEAR of a time finding a job. My friend who is top 5% is still unemployed.

I went to upitt/cinci/case and only about the top 10-15% of people actually got good jobs. The problem is that there is no middle ground. Generally speaking... it is either 100k+ jobs or 30k.

Honestly, had i known how bad the job situation is when I was applying to law schools, I would have never went to LS.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

if you really must go to law school, go to a school which dominates its respected market. Something like Upitt... etc. Schools like that will offer the same employment opportunities as carbozo/american/brookyln but are cheaper and theoretically less competitive because of lower lsat and gpa scores.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:59 pm

thexfactor wrote:if you really must go to law school, go to a school which dominates its respected market. Something like Upitt... etc. Schools like that will offer the same employment opportunities as carbozo/american/brookyln but are cheaper and theoretically less competitive because of lower lsat and gpa scores.

This.

Return to “What are my chances?”