168/3.6: apply this cycle or sit it out?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
applepiecrust

168/3.6: apply this cycle or sit it out?

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:30 pm

168/3.6/non-URM/international. Decent softs.

I ended up scoring MUCH lower than I was mentally prepared for -- trying to figure out if it was nerves or over-confidence or something.

I already signed up to retake in February. My question is: should I go ahead and apply to a couple reaches (if so, which ones?) and some targets this year, or should I sit this cycle out entirely?

If I were to apply next year, I would have the LORs ready, and have time to develop stronger relationships with professors to get better LORs. I would also have the time to work on better personal statements etc., and to get work experience. It looks like a win/win situation, except that my parents want me to apply this cycle.

For this cycle, I'm thinking of applying to Cornell, Georgetown, UCLA, USC and Vanderbilt + a couple reaches (Which ones might I have even a fraction of a chance at, by the way?). Any other target schools you would recommend adding?

I'm still an undergrad so this means I need to look for employment for next year now.

Aggiegrad2011

Re: 168/3.6: apply this cycle or sit it out?

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:35 pm

If your parents want you to apply, then I hope they're at least helping you pay for it. If they are helping you pay for it, then you have nothing to lose in applying this cycle.

You could consider ED @ UCLA. You're above their 25th in GPA and LSAT, so it might be a good option. You should have a good shot @ USC also. Besides for blowing 700 bucks, I can't see any reason for you to not apply this cycle and try to avoid spinning your engine in neutral for an entire year.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:If your parents want you to apply, then I hope they're at least helping you pay for it. If they are helping you pay for it, then you have nothing to lose in applying this cycle.

You could consider ED @ UCLA. You're above their 25th in GPA and LSAT, so it might be a good option. You should have a good shot @ USC also. Besides for blowing 700 bucks, I can't see any reason for you to not apply this cycle and try to avoid spinning your engine in neutral for an entire year.

Parents are paying for applications. I don't want to ED UCLA because then I would be committed to attending next cycle, and I do think I can do considerably better on the LSAT, opening up possibilities at better schools. I'm barely 21, so time is on my side (even if the economy is not).
And even though parents are paying, I really don't want to waste their money.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:07 pm

Bump. I'd really like suggestions for possibly attainable reaches.

Return to “What are my chances?”