I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby Icculus » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 am

So got my score, and improved from a 165 to a 167, and having now spent months on this board am now utterly depressed. Wanted a 170, would have been happy with a 168, but a 167!?! Had I never met you, TLS, I would have been content with my 165, happily living in ignorance.

So, with 8 years WE, a 2.79 GPA, and a Master's Degree, where should I apply this cycle? I think I'm gonna see where I get in, and then reassess as to whether to take it a third time and apply next year. Was really hoping for a 170+ to ED to Northwestern. What do we think? Do I have a shot at WUSTL? Anything in the top 20? I hate my GPA.

Edit: spelling

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:53 am

this post is not backed by any hard data but i offer it anyways.

my thoughts on your case: you are definitely not the traditional applicant. thus, your GPA is not going to be as influential as compared to most of the TLS posters. 8 years WE is substantial and if you can talk and write seriously about that, it can almost negate the disadvantage of a lower GPA. i'd say ED anyways if you think there is a >35% chance.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby Tanicius » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:00 am

You do have a shot at WUSTL. Go for it!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby TommyK » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:04 am

I'm in a very similar situation as you. uGPA of 2.95, masters degree, graduated in 2004 and masters in 2006, so 4 yrs WE. I'm going to apply to WUSTL. LSP has us at Deny, but I'm above their 25th percentile and given that we're non-traditionals, I think it's worth a shot.

if WUSTL doesn't work out, anywhere with corn will accept us - Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana - all solid schools and all LSAT whores.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby Icculus » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:22 am

TommyK wrote:if WUSTL doesn't work out, anywhere with corn will accept us - Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana - all solid schools and all LSAT whores.


Excellent, and if we can't find a law job we can always go into bio diesel.

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby padthai » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 pm

mjcaccio wrote:So got my score, and improved from a 165 to a 167, and having now spent months on this board am now utterly depressed. Wanted a 170, would have been happy with a 168, but a 167!?! Had I never met you, TLS, I would have been content with my 165, happily living in ignorance.

So, with 8 years WE, a 2.79 GPA, and a Master's Degree, where should I apply this cycle? I think I'm gonna see where I get in, and then reassess as to whether to take it a third time and apply next year. Was really hoping for a 170+ to ED to Northwestern. What do we think? Do I have a shot at WUSTL? Anything in the top 20? I hate my GPA.

Edit: spelling


Well hey! Look on the bright side. Had it not been for TLS, you wouldn't have retaken to get the 167. 2 LSAT points can make a significant difference. So all in all you just made your application more competitive.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby TommyK » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:42 pm

mjcaccio wrote:
TommyK wrote:if WUSTL doesn't work out, anywhere with corn will accept us - Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana - all solid schools and all LSAT whores.


Excellent, and if we can't find a law job we can always go into bio diesel.


It's always good to have a backup plan :)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:44 pm

We hate you too.

(Kidding)

But yeah, I think a 167 is a bit low for WUSTL and UIUC and most of those midwestern schools if you only have a 2.9.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 pm

No point dwelling on old mistakes; I don't think you'd get into Northwestern with a 167 even if your GPA were higher. Retake?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby TommyK » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:We hate you too.

(Kidding)

But yeah, I think a 167 is a bit low for WUSTL and UIUC and most of those midwestern schools if you only have a 2.9.


UIUC has us at a consider according to LSP. I think Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, and Iowa are all in play. WUSTL may be a stretch, but from what I've heard, they're pretty splitter friendly and I think it would be worth an application. I'm not going to apply because I couldn't stomach paying $42k in tuition, but I think he may have a shot.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:10 pm

TommyK wrote:
romothesavior wrote:We hate you too.

(Kidding)

But yeah, I think a 167 is a bit low for WUSTL and UIUC and most of those midwestern schools if you only have a 2.9.


UIUC has us at a consider according to LSP. I think Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, and Iowa are all in play. WUSTL may be a stretch, but from what I've heard, they're pretty splitter friendly and I think it would be worth an application. I'm not going to apply because I couldn't stomach paying $42k in tuition, but I think he may have a shot.


For one thing, LSP is not that useful for big time splitters. And isn't UIUC's new median 167? In any case, even if OSU, Iowa, and IUB are in play, I wouldn't go to any of those schools without significant scholarship. Retake is TCR.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby TommyK » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TommyK wrote:
romothesavior wrote:We hate you too.

(Kidding)

But yeah, I think a 167 is a bit low for WUSTL and UIUC and most of those midwestern schools if you only have a 2.9.


UIUC has us at a consider according to LSP. I think Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, and Iowa are all in play. WUSTL may be a stretch, but from what I've heard, they're pretty splitter friendly and I think it would be worth an application. I'm not going to apply because I couldn't stomach paying $42k in tuition, but I think he may have a shot.


For one thing, LSP is not that useful for big time splitters. And isn't UIUC's new median 167? In any case, even if OSU, Iowa, and IUB are in play, I wouldn't go to any of those schools without significant scholarship. Retake is TCR.


I've heard that too - about LSP not being good for big time splitters, but I've never heard it saying that they overestimate the chances of the high LSAT splitter applicant. Pretty sure 167 is the 75th percentile for UIUC.

I think it's pretty dependent on what the OP is looking for. There are valid reasons to go to these schools. The in-state tuition are low and if he wants to practice locally, the alumni networks are really strong.

I'm sure I'm risking this conversation degrading into a "don't go to anything below a t14 school unless the provide you full scholly and nightly footrubs" debate by posting this.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:25 pm

UIUC's medians are 3.8/167, so I'd surprised if OP got in with a 167/2.9.

And even with in-state tuition, you're looking at ~130k or more. That's a lot of money, and schools in the UIUC/Iowa/WUSTL/Emory/ND etc. rage have been hit HARD in recent years.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: I hate you TLS, but still need your advice.

Postby TommyK » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:UIUC's medians are 3.8/167, so I'd surprised if OP got in with a 167/2.9.

And even with in-state tuition, you're looking at ~130k or more. That's a lot of money, and schools in the UIUC/Iowa/WUSTL/Emory/ND etc. rage have been hit HARD in recent years.


Ahh, i stand corrected about UIUC's 75th percentile. looks like they moved it up to 168.

Yeah, I know. It's tough out there. I guess I would just rather pay $24k tuition at OSU than $42k at WUSTL.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mjb447 and 4 guests