3.04 / Cancel, 179 / 10yrs WE

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Deep Trench

3.04 / Cancel, 179 / 10yrs WE

Postby Deep Trench » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:26 am

- LSDAS GPA: 3.04 (declining trend: My GPA was 3.68 after first two years)
- LSAT: Cancel in June, just received 179 last night
- B.S. in engineering from a top public university 11 years ago
- 10+ years of experience of working as an engineer
- Virginia resident
- Non URM

UVA is very high on my list. My question is whether I should apply ED at UVA considering my bad GPA or apply RD to see what offers I get from other schools. On one hand I want to see what other opportunities I have, but on the other hand I would hate to lose a chance to attend UVA by being too greedy. I have three kids so UVA's "suburban" setting is a big plus for me.

studebaker07

Re: 3.04 / Cancel, 179 / 10yrs WE

Postby studebaker07 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 am

Congrats. That is a truly amazing LSAT score.

I would definitely apply ED to UVA. I wouldn't stop there though. I would blanket the Top-14 as well. Your GPA is pretty low, but given your major and your work experience (along with the killer LSAT score) I think you would be well-advised to maximize your options.

Good luck.

mjd

Postby mjd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 am

I would definitely apply ED to UVA. I wouldn't stop there though. I would blanket the Top-14 as well. Your GPA is pretty low, but given your major and your work experience (along with the killer LSAT score) I think you would be well-advised to maximize your options.

+1.

Further, since you're more than a decade removed from undergrad, that GPA may not have as negative an impact on your chances as it would had you recently graduated. If I were you, I would apply all the way up to Columbia and maybe toss in Harvard. Doesn't mean you'll get in, but it might be worth a shot.

I'm not at all prescient when it comes to admissions, but RD at UVa seems like it would be enough to get you in (someone more in the know should weigh in on this). Perhaps consider ED-ing at a higher ranked school and hope for some money from UVa. I think your non-traditional status and LSAT score really play into your favor with an early RD application at UVa. Of course, if you are nearly dead-set on UVa and not too worried about money, then you should ED there.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:35 am

ED UVA you'll need it to get in. Also, if UVA rejects before NU's ED deadline ED there. Apply to GULC FT/PT as well.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:38 am

why would you ED? i think you are missing out on scholarship money if you do that. I would just blanket the t14 from CCNdown. Apply to 2-3 saftey schools like Vandy then pick 2 in the wustl/gw/fordham/bc range.

Then negotiate scholarship.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:42 am

Yeah I wouldn't ED at UVA it would be over-limiting your options. Your LSAT is above everyone's median and your GPA isn't horrible especially if you were an engineer. You broke the 3.0 wall and that was a decade ago. I'd just chill for now and apply around without committing. I would be surprised if UVA rejects you especially in-state. Maybe a waitlist, maybe.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:13 pm

I'd ED to UVA.

3.04 is a low GPA and schools don't compensate that much for old GPAs or grade-deflated majors. If you don't ED it is entirely possible you are out of the "t14"--UVA is splitter friendly but they practically require ED in cases like yours. And since you like Charlottesville UVA seems like a no-brainer. If you want scholarship money you are going to have go quite a bit down the rankings because of the GPA.

The above is based on my reading of LSN, so my first recommendation is to go straight to the source.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:24 pm

As a VA resident you've got a good shot at getting in RD. However, if you want to be sure, apply ED.

If you really want T6 you can try EDing to CLS or NYU, and then convert your RD app at UVA to ED if you don't get into one of those schools. But if you don't, just ED to UVA and have a simple cycle.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Sorry I missed that you were a UVA resident. Vanwinkle is obviously correct, it does improve your chances RD.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:59 pm

He's not getting into CCN with a 3.04. He may not get into UVA, though he likely will.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:33 pm

rayiner wrote:He's not getting into CCN with a 3.04. He may not get into UVA, though he likely will.

If he EDs to UVA now he's almost certainly in. RD is good odds but not a lock, though. Being in-state is an enormous advantage; because of the number of seats that must be reserved for in-state applicants, and the large pool of out-of-state applicants, the circumstances for the two are completely different. In-state the ratio of applicants to acceptances is something like 7:1, while for out-of-state it's over 30:1. UVA especially loves in-state applicants that are well above median in one number since they can help maintain medians. Plus, significant WE will weigh in his favor and mitigate the low GPA.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:39 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rayiner wrote:He's not getting into CCN with a 3.04. He may not get into UVA, though he likely will.

If he EDs to UVA now he's almost certainly in. RD is good odds but not a lock, though. Being in-state is an enormous advantage; because of the number of seats that must be reserved for in-state applicants, and the large pool of out-of-state applicants, the circumstances for the two are completely different. In-state the ratio of applicants to acceptances is something like 7:1, while for out-of-state it's over 30:1. UVA especially loves in-state applicants that are well above median in one number since they can help maintain medians. Plus, significant WE will weigh in his favor and mitigate the low GPA.

I think he's got a great shot ED, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a WL RD with that GPA. I was 176/2.5 (engineering) and VA resident + WE and got WL->REJ a couple of cycles ago. Now his GPA is better (but still far below the 25th), but UVA's selectivity has also gone up substantially in the last couple of cycles. I think being over the 3.0 floor gives him a reasonable shot RD, but I don't think it's a great shot.

In any case, he loses nothing by ED-ing to UVA. He's not getting CCN with that GPA, ED or not.

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks for your advices. When I posted my question, I was riding high from my 179, but now I came to my senses after a day of self-reflection. The bottom line is that HYS are impossible, CCN + B are extremely long shots, and it is unlikely that I am going to get scholarship from T14. If I were a single, I would do what Vanwinkle suggested: ED at NYU and Convert UVA to ED if I don't get in. However, I don't see how I can go to law school and raise three children in New York City without income. UVA is probably the best option for me and my family, and I might as well maximize my chance by applying ED there.

Rayiner, I will be in Chicago for a business trip next week, and I am going to visit Northwestern. Is there a good option for family housing near the school? I would really prefer not having a long commute. I want to be able to at least come home to have dinners with my family and go back out to study in the library.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:42 am

Deep Trench wrote:Thanks for your advices. When I posted my question, I was riding high from my 179, but now I came to my senses after a day of self-reflection. The bottom line is that HYS are impossible, CCN + B are extremely long shots, and it is unlikely that I am going to get scholarship from T14. If I were a single, I would do what Vanwinkle suggested: ED at NYU and Convert UVA to ED if I don't get in. However, I don't see how I can go to law school and raise three children in New York City without income. UVA is probably the best option for me and my family, and I might as well maximize my chance by applying ED there.

Rayiner, I will be in Chicago for a business trip next week, and I am going to visit Northwestern. Is there a good option for family housing near the school? I would really prefer not having a long commute. I want to be able to at least come home to have dinners with my family and go back out to study in the library.

You mean for students? There is Abott Hall for students with families which is right across the street from school. In the immediate vicinity there are solid housing options, though streeterville is definitely one of the more expensive parts of the city. That said you can get a 2 br in Lincoln Park for $1400/mo and it's a straight-shot on the bus 15-20 min to school. The bus system here is very timely and efficient.

Return to “What are my chances?”