.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

.

Postby kruiz88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:17 am

.
Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby kruiz88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 pm

So, I guess no answer = no chance. :D

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby Deuce » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

kruiz88 wrote:GPA: 3.9 (3.77 degree)
LSAT: 163
Average LOR
Work part time 30 hrs week, all of undergrad
No clubs/ associations ( well Phi Theta Kappa, and previous schools honor society)
Deans list, 6 semesters
Good, not exceptional, regional school


Where should I apply, looking to stay in the NY tri-state area. Thanks


That LSAT is low for a lot of New York, even Fordham where you have the best chance. You're going to get a lot of retake advice. That is a great GPA, the higher 160's would secure you at Cornell and even a little higher would have you looking at CCN.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby plenipotentiary » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Retake.

dshirs32
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby dshirs32 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Not to sound redundant, but I think retake is by far your best option. A score in the upper 160s will open numerous doors which your current score, though fine, precludes the possibility of admission.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby kruiz88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:46 am

.
Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 am

i think you might be able to get into fordham with your gpa. The problem for you is that you want to stay in the tri area. Im willing to bet if you apply from USc/UCLA/Vandy/Texas down you will get a school in the wustl/fordham/bc/bu/emory/nd range.... it just might not be the school that you want. Outside chance at usc/ucla/vandy/tejas. Still worth applying.

However, even going to UIUC is better than going to carbozo or brookyln in terms of job prospects. You are much better coming from UIUC or emory in NY than carbozo or brooklyn.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

.

Postby kruiz88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:22 pm

.
Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:24 pm

hmm ive seen people get waitlisted on lawschoolnubers at columbia and nyu with a 3.9x and 164........
check it out yourself.
Actually.... you will prob get admitted to fordham. Check the chart for fordham....
I would apply and retake. if you can get higher than 166 you might have a chance outside chance for nyu and columbia.

Can you consider cornell? if you can get a couple more pts you might have a chance there.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gator36/jd
Last edited by thexfactor on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 pm

kruiz88 wrote:Valid point, unfortunately I am tied to the NY/Tri-state area. It's been a pretty depressing bunch of days since that 163. Killed my dream of NYU.


Dude. The URM thing is a game changer. 3.9/163 URM has a shot at NYU.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:30 pm

... nm i see URM. you will prob get into columbia and nyu.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:36 pm

thexfactor wrote:However, even going to UIUC is better than going to carbozo or brookyln in terms of job prospects. You are much better coming from UIUC or emory in NY than carbozo or brooklyn.


What is this based on? UIUC and Emory are both regional schools, and NYC is not their region.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Take a look at how many people get NJL250 jobs. Emory and UIUC's percentage is a lot higher than brooklyn and carbozo. People below the top 15% ITE prob top 10% at brooklyn will not get anything from OCI.... TOp 1/3 from emory has a shot at OCI.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:56 pm

thexfactor wrote:Take a look at how many people get NJL250 jobs. Emory and UIUC's percentage is a lot higher than brooklyn and carbozo. People below the top 15% ITE prob top 10% at brooklyn will not get anything from OCI.... TOp 1/3 from emory has a shot at OCI.


But not all NLJ250 firms are in NYC. The fact that UIUC has better job prospects than Cardozo overall doesn't mean that it outperforms Cardozo in NYC.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby kruiz88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:37 pm

Wow, this is some pretty in-depth analysis..thank you

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:41 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Take a look at how many people get NJL250 jobs. Emory and UIUC's percentage is a lot higher than brooklyn and carbozo. People below the top 15% ITE prob top 10% at brooklyn will not get anything from OCI.... TOp 1/3 from emory has a shot at OCI.


But not all NLJ250 firms are in NYC. The fact that UIUC has better job prospects than Cardozo overall doesn't mean that it outperforms Cardozo in NYC.


I highly doubt that if you apply to NY firms from emory and have strong connections to the NYC area they will NOT consider you and would have considered you had you attended carbozo and brooklyn.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:46 pm

thexfactor wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Take a look at how many people get NJL250 jobs. Emory and UIUC's percentage is a lot higher than brooklyn and carbozo. People below the top 15% ITE prob top 10% at brooklyn will not get anything from OCI.... TOp 1/3 from emory has a shot at OCI.


But not all NLJ250 firms are in NYC. The fact that UIUC has better job prospects than Cardozo overall doesn't mean that it outperforms Cardozo in NYC.


I highly doubt that if you apply to NY firms from emory and have strong connections to the NYC area they will NOT consider you and would have considered you had you attended carbozo and brooklyn.


There are lots of older partners at NYC firms who attended Cardozo and Brooklyn. Not so much for UIUC and Emory. Alumni stuff can make an impact.

Practicing lawyers who got their degrees thirty years ago probably haven't memorized the USNWR rankings. They won't be like, "Whoa, Emory! That's like 20th, right?" They'll probably be like, "Emory? Is that in the South somewhere? Why didn't you go to Cardozo?"

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:49 pm

maybe, but that is debatable. Emory has a pretty good alumni group in NY. So does BC/BU/GW
What isnt debatable is that firms will go 2x as deep at emory/uiuc. You will have a better chance getting a job and not going on JDU.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

.

Postby kruiz88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:39 pm

.
Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.9/163

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:08 pm

kruiz88 wrote:This discussion truly speaks to the quality of the information available on TLS, and why no book will be able to ever match its ability to analyze and comment on the ever increasing amount of data within the world of law. What can I do to make myself a stronger candidate, with the exception of retaking the LSAT? I just fear that my score would drop as a result of the level of my course work currently, which would be culminating at the same time as the LSAT. While impossible to be known for certain, how strong of a chance do I have at NYU? Thanks again to everyone.

you have a chance from at HYS as a URM. Apply to entire T14 + vandy/usc/ucla/tejas + wustl. You
Then evaluate your scholarships and acceptances...

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby kruiz88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:40 pm

thexfactor, plenipotentiary- I owe both of you a thank you.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:44 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Retake.


Edit: Or just come to Tulane! :)

/shameless school promotion.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby kruiz88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:Retake.


Edit: Or just come to Tulane! :)

/shameless school promotion.

Yea, maybe I just will.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

.

Postby kruiz88 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:38 am

.
Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 3.9/163

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:00 pm

kruiz88 wrote:Wow, is it really such a major factor that it could "change the game"? I mean I'm excited, but also a little confused.


yes it is. enjoy the t-14, possibly NYU.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests