ED to NYU? Columbia?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gendefect

ED to NYU? Columbia?

Postby gendefect » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:29 am

Well, now that my LSAT score is in, I have to make some quick decisions.

GPA: 3.68
LSAT 172

If HYS is out (and I assume it now is), I would really like to stay in NYC (will be married and wife has a settled career here). So EDing to NYU seems like the obvious choice, but I hate closing off all over options that way, especially since it means paying sticker. But I'm guessing I'd be paying sticker there even if I didn't ED. Ultimately, I think I'd prefer Columbia, and so sometimes I think I should ED there, which is a longer shot, and then if I don't get in, at least I'm not forced to go anywhere in particular and I can see where I get in. And if I do get it, I'm going to the top-ranked school in NYC.

But then the fear of not getting into Columbia or NYU hits, and having to leave NYC and go to a lower-ranked school would be a double letdown. I believe my application is strong other than numbers, but of course, probably no school cares about that. But for giggles, I'm 30 w/ good and interesting work experience, killer recommendations, and focused and substantial extracurriculars w/ community involvement.

I'd love to hear any advice anyone might offer.
Last edited by gendefect on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

BeachedBrit

Re: ED to NYU? Columbia?

Postby BeachedBrit » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:43 am

Sounds to me like you should take the safer bet and ED to NYU because you have a lot more to lose from having to leave the city completely than you do from being "stuck" at NYU if accepted. Also the LSAT is a little low for Columbia.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:49 am

BeachedBrit wrote:Sounds to me like you should take the safer bet and ED to NYU because you have a lot more to lose from having to leave the city completely than you do from being "stuck" at NYU if accepted. Also the LSAT is a little low for Columbia.

+ 1

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:41 pm

"LSAT is a little low for Columbia."

His LSAT is at Columbia's median. Assuming that ED mitigates his GPA, I think he's in good shape.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm a similar situation in terms of needing to stay in NYC...my husband needs to be here for his career (plus, I love it here). But it really puts the pressure on for CLS and NYU, b/c the next school is Fordham. I have 3.56/177, and have been out of school for a while, too, so I have plenty of work experience, etc. Because of my GPA, I think I'm going to go ED for NYU, because I think my chances at CLS aren't as solid, and I really want to make sure I'm in at one of those schools. Feel free to PM to discuss, since we're in the same boat (or maybe "on the same island" is more appropriate). :-)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:33 am

Your chances are ~25% at CLS and ~50% at NYU, so NYU ED is the best option since you need to stay in NYC.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:36 am

you're right; NYU ED is the obvious correct response here...but you also sound like you'd have a lifetime's worth of regret (or at least a decade's worth lol) if you didnt see if you could have gotten into CLS (and gone).

IF you can wait a yr, why not ED CLS...and if you dont get into either, apply next yr ED to NYU? waiting a yr may be worth getting rid of all that potential regret...

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:38 am

But the difference between CLS and NYU isn't that significant, especially for NYC. We're not talking about giving up HYS here.

irie

Postby irie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:44 am

Shooter wrote:"LSAT is a little low for Columbia."

His LSAT is at Columbia's median. Assuming that ED mitigates his GPA, I think he's in good shape.

dont forget that a good chunk (10% or more) of below-medians at columbia are URM, and we're assuming OP isn't URM.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone. OP is not a URM, so that was a safe assumption. And I'm turning 30 this week, and don't feel like I can bear putting law school on hold another year (I'm going to be ancient by the time I can practice as it is...), so it has to be this year or bust.

At which point, it sounds like the best bet is to ED at NYU. And frankly, I think I'm probably a better fit at NYU, given my personality, goals, etc. So I don't know why this is such a hard decision. Maybe I'm just a prestige whore, but there's something about Columbia I can't put my finger on that when I think about writing it off, I get upset.

BTW, where are folks getting the odds they mention, as in ~25% at CLS, ~50% at NYU? I've looked at lawschoolpredictor and hourumd. lawschoolpredictor puts me at 45% chance CLS and 54% NYU. hourumd puts me at 62% CLS and 85% at NYU. Both of those stats seems too generous to me, but they're very different from one another and also different from what folks seem to be saying in this thread. Am I misreading/misusing these sites, or are people pulling/gathering data in a more realistic way?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:58 pm

gendefect wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone. OP is not a URM, so that was a safe assumption. And I'm turning 30 this week, and don't feel like I can bear putting law school on hold another year (I'm going to be ancient by the time I can practice as it is...), so it has to be this year or bust.

At which point, it sounds like the best bet is to ED at NYU. And frankly, I think I'm probably a better fit at NYU, given my personality, goals, etc. So I don't know why this is such a hard decision. Maybe I'm just a prestige whore, but there's something about Columbia I can't put my finger on that when I think about writing it off, I get upset.

BTW, where are folks getting the odds they mention, as in ~25% at CLS, ~50% at NYU? I've looked at lawschoolpredictor and hourumd. lawschoolpredictor puts me at 45% chance CLS and 54% NYU. hourumd puts me at 62% CLS and 85% at NYU. Both of those stats seems too generous to me, but they're very different from one another and also different from what folks seem to be saying in this thread. Am I misreading/misusing these sites, or are people pulling/gathering data in a more realistic way?

25/50 is just a gut feeling someone gave. an estimate.

LSP is prob more accurate than hourumd. these sites compile data from like lawschoolnumbers and like (much better for "in depth" comparisons) and show the class % above you and below you...but it is for like the last decade or so lol.

therefore they tend to be overly optimistic (and of course never take into account softs). theya re good for rough estimates, but thats about it. go to LSN for more accurate results of ppl w/ similar numbers and how they performed last cycle. either way, sounds like you have a better chance at NYU than CLS, and chance at NYU is around 50%

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Thanks DoubleChecks. That helps clarify.

Return to “What are my chances?”