169 & 172, 3.97

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
OldManWinter

169 & 172, 3.97

Postby OldManWinter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:42 am

Just got my LSAT retake, wondering what thoughts are on my chances.

LSAT: Absent (got flu), 169, Cancel, 172
GPA: 3.97 (top 10 non-Ivy, economics & political science)
Softs: MA + 2 years experience in consulting/research, lived in Asia for 1 year
State of Residence: VA

Schools (in order of preference)
1) Stanford
2) Chicago
3) Harvard
4) Berkeley
5) Michigan
5) UVA
7) Toronto (Dual citizen US-Canada)
7) Northwestern
7) Penn
10) Georgetown

Some additional questions:
1) Should I write an addendum for LSAT score?
2) Is there any good reason to throw an early app at Chicago?
3) What are my chances for $$$?

Thanks in advance!

im_blue

Re: 169 & 172, 3.97

Postby im_blue » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:16 am

Harvard: 50%
Stanford: ~30% depending on softs
in everywhere else, including T10 with big money

OldManWinter

Postby OldManWinter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for the assessment. I was hoping that I'd have a better chance at Standford, given that I am at or above 75% for LSAT and GPA, but I guess they are more "holistic" than other schools.

Do y'all have advice on whether I should write an addendum for my LSAT absences/cancellations?
I got sick before my first one and never showed up (it was the one with the -14 curve!). My second test got snowed out and I wound up taking the makeup after a week-long business trip and so that may have affected performance. After that, I had a typical anxiety freak out in the June test. I'd like to argue that my Oct test best represents my abilities but don't want to come off as giving excuse after excuse.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:45 am

I have doubts that Harvard or Stanford take many students with 4 LSATs on their record, especially when the top LSAT score is not above median (in the case of Harvard). I'd go ahead and assume that, in your specific case, they will average the two scores. So 50% at Harvard seems too optimistic too me, but it is certainly worth applying with that GPA.

Stanford is hard to predict. The GPA definitely helps more at Stanford than Harvard, and your LSAT is above Stanford's medians, but Stanford is also highly selective even when you have the numbers. I'm not sure how Stanford has been on retakers, either. It'll depend a lot on the strength of application.

1. I wouldn't write that addendum. If you do write one, I'd only explain the sickness = absence.
2. Chicago ED is probably a bad idea. You do have a chance at Stanford and money at Chicago.
3. You'll get money. Especially at your 4-5 choices and below.

Return to “What are my chances?”