Potentially Stupid Question Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NorCalBruin

Silver

Potentially Stupid Question

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:33 am

Can you send in your applications without noting on them that you intend to retake the lsat, and then retake it at the next administration?

In other words, I already applied to Cornell and Texas Early Action, but my lsat/gpa combo (167 / 3.8) put me on the awkward retake bubble. I'll get a decision from those schools mid-december, but I'll probably also retake the lsat. Do I need to tell those schools that I am before they render a decision?

serend1pity

New

Re: Potentially Stupid Question

Post by serend1pity » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 am

Haha, I actually have the same question. I'd like to know the answer to this, too.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:41 am

I think it would be a good move to at least send a notice to the admissions office. Just treat it as an addendum and let them know that you are going to be retaking. It can't hurt you at all; the schools already have your score and if anything I think it helps because it may buy you more time and mercy from the Ad Comm. where you might otherwise be a reject.

KatieKat

New

Post by KatieKat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 am

If you tell them you're retaking, will they hold your application for the new score or just make the decision by mid-december regardless? I wouldn't bother telling them if there's no chance that a retake will factor into your decision. They probably just wouldn't care and it would be a waste of your time.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:49 am

KatieKat wrote:If you tell them you're retaking, will they hold your application for the new score or just make the decision by mid-december regardless? I wouldn't bother telling them if there's no chance that a retake will factor into your decision. They probably just wouldn't care and it would be a waste of your time.
I really don't think it makes a difference, personally. It takes about 5-10 minutes max to send an email or make a phone call. If you don't tell them, you risk having your application rejected. If you tell them, they at least have notice that your score could change. If you have enough faith in the strength of your application that the ad. comm. would want to hang onto your application at least until you get a new score, I think it is worth telling them that you plan to re-take.
Last edited by studebaker07 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

serend1pity

New

Post by serend1pity » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:22 am

Hm, what if you'd like them to consider you based on the score you already have? If you tell them you might be retaking, will they automatically hold your application until the new score comes in? Or do you need to tell them you'd like to be considered with the original score?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”