3.4, 164, strong softs. chances at Boalt

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nireca

3.4, 164, strong softs. chances at Boalt

Postby nireca » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 pm

Undergrad GPA 3.42 with double major in Philosophy (3.6) and Italian language
LSAT: 160 (80%), 162 (86%), 164 (90%)

CA resident. Been out of school for a couple years. Working at law firm for the past year and received a lot of practical work experience. Also, recently been made President of the nonprofit I work with. Personal statement and recommendations will all be very strong. Definite upward trend in GPA at the end, getting 3.8, 3.7, 3.7, 3.9, 3.5 my last 5 quarters at SCU. Third generation Italian rural upbringing.

Looking at:

Boalt
UCI
Hastings
USD
Davis
McGeorge

Knock

Re: 3.4, 164, strong softs. chances at Boalt

Postby Knock » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 am

nireca wrote:Undergrad GPA 3.42 with double major in Philosophy (3.6) and Italian language
LSAT: 160 (80%), 162 (86%), 164 (90%)

CA resident. Been out of school for a couple years. Working at law firm for the past year and received a lot of practical work experience. Also, recently been made President of the nonprofit I work with. Personal statement and recommendations will all be very strong. Definite upward trend in GPA at the end, getting 3.8, 3.7, 3.7, 3.9, 3.5 my last 5 quarters at SCU. Third generation Italian rural upbringing.

Looking at:

Boalt
UCI
Hastings
USD
Davis
McGeorge

Not a good shot at Boalt unfortunately. Well below both medians, and they are known especially to favor GPA. I'd say out. Not sure of your chances at the other schools on your list off the top of my head. Best of luck to you.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:02 am

zero. You are in no mans land. Your LSAT and GPA is sligtly below all schools in the wustl/gw/fordham/hastings/davis level.
I know you dont want to hear this but I would retake.....

nireca

Postby nireca » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:08 am

I can't take in December. I already have my 3 tests within 2 years. What about UCI? Is that out of my range as well? Where should I be looking at with these numbers?

prismz

Postby prismz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:10 am

nireca wrote:I can't take in December. I already have my 3 tests within 2 years. What about UCI? Is that out of my range as well? Where should I be looking at with these numbers?

low Tier 1, or $ at even lower ranked schools

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:11 am

you can retake if you get a school to write a letter stating that you need it for "official purposes" and you are not retaking just so you can reveal tests. It works. I did it and my friend did it before. Call a school taht you are not thinking about applying to and ask them to write the letter to LSAC>

nireca

Postby nireca » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:20 am

How high of a score would I need to be have a good shot at Boalt? How did you do in your 4th test? At this point I feel like I'd probably just get another 2 point bump and I'm not sure if that would be worth it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:22 am

nireca wrote:How high of a score would I need to be have a good shot at Boalt? How did you do in your 4th test? At this point I feel like I'd probably just get another 2 point bump and I'm not sure if that would be worth it.

Boalt is focused heavily on GPA. There really isn't a LSAT score you could hit that would move you into the admit category, and certainly 2 points is not going to do it. Start looking at other schools. UCLA is likely out as well. USC might be a possibility with a retake.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:23 am

the problem with berkeely is that it loves high gpa people. You need at least low 170s to have a chance.....

nireca

Postby nireca » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:32 am

prismz wrote:
nireca wrote:I can't take in December. I already have my 3 tests within 2 years. What about UCI? Is that out of my range as well? Where should I be looking at with these numbers?

what kind of $ could I get at lower ranked schools?

prismz

Postby prismz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:47 am

nireca wrote:
prismz wrote:

what kind of $ could I get at lower ranked schools?

do you have a preferred state or region? If you want to stay in CA, I'd apply to all the private schools in socal (USD, Loyola, -..)
Last edited by prismz on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nireca

Postby nireca » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:56 am

Santa Clara is actually norcal but i went there for undergrad so i'd rather not go there for law school too. I'd prefer to stay in CA but I'm open to suggestions. Could i get money from USD? I wouldn't mind living in San Diego. I was looking at Thomas Jefferson a while back and was thinking the new downtown campus could be dope. They have really low entrance stats but I have no idea what kind of money my numbers would land me.

prismz

Postby prismz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:21 am

nireca wrote:Santa Clara is actually norcal but i went there for undergrad so i'd rather not go there for law school too. I'd prefer to stay in CA but I'm open to suggestions. Could i get money from USD? I wouldn't mind living in San Diego. I was looking at Thomas Jefferson a while back and was thinking the new downtown campus could be dope. They have really low entrance stats but I have no idea what kind of money my numbers would land me.

my mistake. you have the numbers for USD with a small scholly + a near full ride to Cal Western (which I suggest over TJU)

nireca

Postby nireca » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:31 am

prismz wrote:
nireca wrote:Santa Clara is actually norcal but i went there for undergrad so i'd rather not go there for law school too. I'd prefer to stay in CA but I'm open to suggestions. Could i get money from USD? I wouldn't mind living in San Diego. I was looking at Thomas Jefferson a while back and was thinking the new downtown campus could be dope. They have really low entrance stats but I have no idea what kind of money my numbers would land me.

my mistake. you have the numbers for USD with a small scholly + a near full ride to Cal Western (which I suggest over TJU)

Why do you prefer Cal Western to TJSOL?

Also, how do you determine how much money you are likely to get from a school based on your GPA and LSAT?

And do you think there is any chance of full ride at Cal Western? My nonprofit is involved in elder care so i could craft a PS towards their health and/or elder law programs.

Return to “What are my chances?”