.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

.

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 pm

.
Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Top 20 schools? What is my best bet with that early decision chip? I'm a VA resident.


ED UVA in the next 5 minutes.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

.

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 pm

.
Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Top 20 schools? What is my best bet with that early decision chip? I'm a VA resident.


ED UVA in the next 5 minutes.


Nope, he's below both medians. T14 is gonna be tough to crack- I'm honestly not sure I would ED anywhere. RD to 10-19 (and a few schools in the 20-30 range) and see what comes back. You might also consider a retake.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby thexfactor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 pm

take a look at vandy texas usc and ucla.... These 4 schools love high gpa. I am sure you will get into one of those....

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:41 pm

beachbum wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Top 20 schools? What is my best bet with that early decision chip? I'm a VA resident.


ED UVA in the next 5 minutes.


Nope, he's below both medians. T14 is gonna be tough to crack- I'm honestly not sure I would ED anywhere. RD to 10-19 (and a few schools in the 20-30 range) and see what comes back. You might also consider a retake.


Even for a resident? What's the published median for residents? I assume it's a bit lower for overall.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

.

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 pm

.
Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:43 pm

There are quite a few people with similar numbers (both numbers) ED in at UVA from previous cycles on LSN. I assume they are all residents. Search for yourself.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:There are quite a few people with similar numbers (both numbers) ED in at UVA from previous cycles on LSN. I assume they are all residents. Search for yourself.


Where? Am I missing something, because I don't see any.

Either way though, it can't hurt to ED to UVA. Might as well give it a shot.

Edit: Checked the last few cycles for all admitted applicants (ED and RD) under both medians, and I'm still not seeing it. There were a couple, but they were exclusively either URMs or applicants who (for one reason or another) significantly outperformed their numbers (i.e. Harvard, Chicago).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:09 am

Sorry, double checked, my search was 3.85 inclusive, and median was lower (3.80) 2 years back.

LSU Undergrad
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 am

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby LSU Undergrad » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:18 am

Don't want to hijack the thread, but starting another one seems dumb as well. How much of a difference does a 3.95 rather than a 3.84 make?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:21 am

LSU Undergrad wrote:Don't want to hijack the thread, but starting another one seems dumb as well. How much of a difference does a 3.95 rather than a 3.84 make?


In terms of UVA ED, probably the difference between admit and WL/reject.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:21 am

LSU Undergrad wrote:Don't want to hijack the thread, but starting another one seems dumb as well. How much of a difference does a 3.95 rather than a 3.84 make?

Quite a bit since your GPA is above 75. Although 166 is a lot better.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

.

Postby iwanta170 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:26 am

.
Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:05 am

iwanta170 wrote:What if I raise my gpa to 3.85/3.86 this semester? Can I get off the waitlist if i am on it? Or will it not make a big difference?


It'll probably make a huge difference. Bring that GPA at/above median and suddenly you have value in the eyes of UVA.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What are my chances with 3.84 and 165

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:54 am

beachbum wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:What if I raise my gpa to 3.85/3.86 this semester? Can I get off the waitlist if i am on it? Or will it not make a big difference?


It'll probably make a huge difference. Bring that GPA at/above median and suddenly you have value in the eyes of UVA.


+1 and hope they are not trying to raise their GPA median again (it's been at 3.85 for 2 consecutive years).

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

.

Postby iwanta170 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:22 pm

.
Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

.

Postby iwanta170 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:37 pm

.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests