158/3.65 - Chances at East Coast Tier 2's

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kylehunt

158/3.65 - Chances at East Coast Tier 2's

Postby kylehunt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:47 pm

I am interested in attending one of the following schools: Brooklyn Law (NY), Northeastern U (MA), American U (DC) or Temple U (PA). If you have relevant information, can you please provide any advice you may have in regards to these schools, including information about post-grad employment, the level of prestige, faculty, campus life (more specifically campus activisim), Constitutional law programs, and of course, the chances I have of getting into any of these considering my 158 and 3.65.

Also, if you have any other suggestions for other east coast schools I'd welcome them.

I am a grassroots organizer by profession with experience recruiting, training and managing large teams, media relations, effective public speaking, as well as advocacy and lobbying experience. Can this skill set work to my advantage in the application process?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

HeavenWood

Re: 158/3.65 - Chances at East Coast Tier 2's

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:57 pm

Where do you want to work? Schools of this caliber will tie you down to their immediate region. Or do you have no preference between Boston, Philly, and DC?

Commenting on Philly, Temple will be a bit of an uphill climb. Their median LSAT is up to 163. Villanova and Rutgers are worth a shot (both 160). And Widener would be a good safety.

EDIT: If you don't mind looking further West, Dickinson and Pitt are near-locks for Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, respectively.

kylehunt

Postby kylehunt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:22 pm

I've lived in each of them other than DC so I'm open to working in any of the major east coast cities, though I would prefer NYC and Philly.

I was a Temple Undergrad so I have a few good contacts there which could help give me an edge. Though I am reluctant to return to my undergrad.

I haven't considered Villanova or Rutgers so I'll be sure to check those out.

Why do you think these schools would tie me to the area? I've often heard that it is essential to attend law school in the state that you wish you practice. Do you prescribe to this theory?

Thanks.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:34 pm

It is not at all essential to attend law school in the state that you wish to practice. But by and large, outside the T14, law schools are regional in nature. UCLA places in Southern California. Miami places in Florida. Etc, etc.

If you want to work in Philadelphia, the best schools you can attend outside Penn and the other T14s are Temple, followed closely by Villanova. Rutgers can find you a job in Philly as well. Widener and Drexel are pushing it.

Unless you retake the LSAT and improve significantly, you won't be getting into any worthwhile NYC schools. Unlike Philadelphia, NYC is a top destination for law grads. Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and the rest of the T14 get the pick of the litter. Fordham picks up the scraps. The reason you can go to a TT school in Philadelphia and still get a job speaks volumes of Philly's nationwide appeal (or the lack thereof).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Try lawschoolpredictor.com. A 3.65 GPA with a 158 LSAT score should be accepted to several Tier One law schools as well as most or all Tier Two law schools.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:47 am

HeavenWood wrote:It is not at all essential to attend law school in the state that you wish to practice. But by and large, outside the T14, law schools are regional in nature. UCLA places in Southern California. Miami places in Florida. Etc, etc.

While your point is true, UCLA is not regional; it's a T17 and Miami doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence (T2, ~#60).

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:51 am

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:15 am

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the "regional vs. national" school thing is mostly an issue when looking for jobs with firms. OP seems like he might have some public interest type of leanings. I don't think the "tied to the region" rationale is as applicable in non-firm situations.

Oh, and UCLA is indeed "regional." Once you get past HYS they're all regional. It's just a matter of degree.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:34 am

reverendt wrote:...UCLA is indeed "regional." Once you get past HYS they're all regional. It's just a matter of degree.

My mistake, I meant something else. Both UCLA and Miami are regional, but UCLA is much better if your concern is legal employment. UCLA does have much greater portability, even if you're not willing to accept schools like UChicago and Columbia are national.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:42 am

kylehunt wrote:If you have relevant information, can you please provide any advice you may have in regards to these schools

Don't go. Retake the LSAT.

Return to “What are my chances?”