Terrible news and how it effects my chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Re: Terrible news and how it effects my chances

Postby 12262010 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Understand that I was told by my advisor that my GPA would be a 3.13+ and I actually went down this path including leaving my previous career based on this tid-bit of bullshit.

That seems silly.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:A couple weeks ago people were saying that with the 3.13, 170+ LSAT, and impressive WE, I had a real chance ED at a bunch of schools. Now I'm out of the top-14.

This is slightly hyperbolic, especially since (as folks keep pointing out) you have a real chance ED at NU still. Just go live in Chicago for three years.

Remnantofisrael wrote:I don't want to go into corporate law if I can avoid it.

What do you want to do? I hope you realize that "corporate law" is where the money is in the legal profession, and you're not going to be making very much if you try too hard to avoid it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:23 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:responded before I refreshed. Sorry.

That makes sense, and I am now well convinced that banking on a transfer is a bad idea. Maybe I should just start warming up to the idea of Boulder or Seattle. Just pick a law school that puts me somewhere I wouldn't mind working.

Understand that I was told by my advisor that my GPA would be a 3.13+ and I actually went down this path including leaving my previous career based on this tid-bit of bullshit. Its amazing that this tiny difference can make-or-break. A couple weeks ago people were saying that with the 3.13, 170+ LSAT, and impressive WE, I had a real chance ED at a bunch of schools. Now I'm out of the top-14. Seems rather arbitrary. No, not the right term. Seems fucking stupid. Then again, I suppose its only fair to create SOME arbitrary measure and separator, just out of necessity.

It was my decision, at 17 as a freshman in college, recently obtaining a GED to get out of the hellhole I was in, to say grades didn't matter because I was never going to grad school anyway. Stupid me. I wish I had a time machine- I wouldn't tell my old self anything because I know I wouldn't listen. I would just kick my old self in the balls.

You're not out of the T14, you have a good shot at NU/UVa/GULC. A 3.13. has a shot at UMich/UPenn/Cornell as well but it is still small. Yes the 3.0 barrier is that big of a deal but you have a definite shot with ED at the 3 schools mentioned earlier.

Also, academic advisors seem to be wrong a lot of the time.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:45 pm

bk1 wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:responded before I refreshed. Sorry.

That makes sense, and I am now well convinced that banking on a transfer is a bad idea. Maybe I should just start warming up to the idea of Boulder or Seattle. Just pick a law school that puts me somewhere I wouldn't mind working.

Understand that I was told by my advisor that my GPA would be a 3.13+ and I actually went down this path including leaving my previous career based on this tid-bit of bullshit. Its amazing that this tiny difference can make-or-break. A couple weeks ago people were saying that with the 3.13, 170+ LSAT, and impressive WE, I had a real chance ED at a bunch of schools. Now I'm out of the top-14. Seems rather arbitrary. No, not the right term. Seems fucking stupid. Then again, I suppose its only fair to create SOME arbitrary measure and separator, just out of necessity.

It was my decision, at 17 as a freshman in college, recently obtaining a GED to get out of the hellhole I was in, to say grades didn't matter because I was never going to grad school anyway. Stupid me. I wish I had a time machine- I wouldn't tell my old self anything because I know I wouldn't listen. I would just kick my old self in the balls.

Also, academic advisors seem to wrong a lot of the time.

It sounds like what happened was the academic advisor said that the UG GPA wouldn't count the original grades, but he didn't know that LSAC does regardless of the UG's retake policy.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:50 pm

im_blue wrote:It sounds like what happened was the academic advisor said that the UG GPA wouldn't count the original grades, but he didn't know that LSAC does regardless of the UG's retake policy.

Good point. But if the advisor is advising on graduate schools, especially when it as uniform as law school, it seems like they should be knowledgeable on this.

Return to “What are my chances?”