Terrible news and how it effects my chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Remnantofisrael

Terrible news and how it effects my chances

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:19 pm

I just recently received, in my LSAC account, my official transcripts from my undergrad. Instead of being the 3.13 I've been looking at for months in my university account, it registers as a 2.98. The reason for this seems to be that information I have in writing expressing that certain course repeats along with GPA adjustment forms would change my OFFICIAL GPA was incorrect. I am currently begging the school, then likely fighting with them, in order to get them to do as LSAC suggests- remove the hours and grade points from those classes on my transcript so that it will reflect with them. BUT that isn't likely to happen.

I've been out of school 6 years, have very solid WE (including executive management and a CEO/PRES position with a startup, and being the government and law journalist for an industry publication).

LSAT: 170 (june). I think I did much better in October, will find out soon. 170 due to missed 4 questions bubbling issue.
GPA: 3.13 is now a 2.98

How significantly does this effect me? I was originally planning on EDing at UM and applying to Penn-WashU. What are the actual changes in what I can expect.

bk1

Re: Terrible news and how it effects my chances

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:23 pm

If it stands as a sub3, I think ED'ing to UM is a waste considering they seem to have a floor of around 3.1-3.0 (I considere ED'ing at UM but backed off for this very reason). I'm thinking your only realistic T14 chances at this point would be NU/GULC/UVa.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Right now I'm thinking of just buying a jug of alcohol, letting my life go down the tubes, and letting Obama take care of me...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Right now I'm thinking of just buying a jug of alcohol

Seems like you've already committed yourself to UVa. ;)

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:28 pm

My wife hated Charlottsville. Like, HATED it. We were there for hours and she wanted to leave. Right in the middle of nowhere, nothing for kids to do, and dirty. Or so she says.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Right now I'm thinking of just buying a jug of alcohol, letting my life go down the tubes, and letting Obama take care of me...

Ack! NO! Don't do it!

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Sorry, dude.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Then I would say ED NU if you are okay with Chicago.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:33 pm

ED to NU or UVA - but with your WE, NU is probably the better bet.

Career goals? Location preferences?

If you can swing >175, I would still ED to M, V or P (or really just M in your case, since you want M). They have all occasionally taken sub 3.0 splitters ED. They will probably not take you RD, nor will Duke (regardless of your LSAT). NU would be your best shot at an RD acceptance in the T14.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:My wife hated Charlottsville. Like, HATED it. We were there for hours and she wanted to leave. Right in the middle of nowhere, nothing for kids to do, and dirty. Or so she says.

Wow, I love Charlottesville... I guess it's just a difference in perspective.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Stock answer on TLS for those with your stats/WE = apply to Northwestern.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Can you do really well the first year somewhere and try transferring?

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:43 pm

mala2 wrote:Can you do really well the first year somewhere and try transferring?

I have an aunt at Loyola Chicago who told me to go that route.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:The reason for this seems to be that information I have in writing expressing that certain course repeats along with GPA adjustment forms would change my OFFICIAL GPA was incorrect. I am currently begging the school, then likely fighting with them, in order to get them to do as LSAC suggests- remove the hours and grade points from those classes on my transcript so that it will reflect with them. BUT that isn't likely to happen.

Course repeats may change your UG GPA, but LSAC counts both grades if they appear on the transcript.

With a 2.98/170+ you should immediately ED to Northwestern.
Last edited by im_blue on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:43 pm

czelede wrote:ED to NU or UVA - but with your WE, NU is probably the better bet.

If you can swing >175, I would still ED to M, V or P (or really just M in your case, since you want M). They have all occasionally taken sub 3.0 splitters ED. They will probably not take you RD, nor will Duke (regardless of your LSAT). NU would be your best shot at an RD acceptance in the T14.

M has not taken a sub-3 splitter in the past 4 cycles on LSN excluding a lone URM or two. Out of the past 5 cycles P did take a single 2.9/176 ED 2 years ago, but I really would not hold out hope. I think not ED'ing to NU (if OP is okay with Chicago) is a poor move when he could get locked out of the T14.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:44 pm

mala2 wrote:Can you do really well the first year somewhere and try transferring?

Really poor thing to plan on.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:44 pm

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Right now I'm thinking of just buying a jug of alcohol, letting my life go down the tubes, and letting Obama take care of me...

If you really want your life to go down the tubes, go to law school.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 pm

JazzOne wrote:

+1

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:

No, no, no, no. That is terrible advice.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:47 pm

bk1 wrote:

Really poor thing to plan on.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:55 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:

Can someone extrapolate a bit on this? I was told that if I could stay in the top 20% or so and get proper recommendations I would have a good shot of transferring. I mean, anyone have any statistics to shoot this idea down?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:

Can someone extrapolate a bit on this? I was told that if I could stay in the top 20% or so and get proper recommendations I would have a good shot of transferring. I mean, anyone have any statistics to shoot this idea down?

Ya, you're unlikely to finish in the top 20%.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:57 pm

right, but if I feel like I SHOULD be at a T-14 with my abilities and whatnot, doesn't going to a Loyola put me in a position where I SHOULD be in the top 20%? I mean, nothing is a sure thing, but come on.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
czelede wrote:ED to NU or UVA - but with your WE, NU is probably the better bet.

M has not taken a sub-3 splitter in the past 4 cycles on LSN excluding a lone URM or two. Out of the past 5 cycles P did take a single 2.9/176 ED 2 years ago, but I really would not hold out hope. I think not ED'ing to NU (if OP is okay with Chicago) is a poor move when he could get locked out of the T14.

Hm, my bad, I clearly haven't studied M's anecdotal data very well :)

I agree, ED to NU is the best move here (esp given OP's work experience). I was just saying that NU is probably OP's best chance at RD, but the risk of getting shut out of the T14 is still there. Though that risk would go down a little if he swung a 175+, maybe? At least with Cornell and Georgetown maybe.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:right, but if I feel like I SHOULD be at a T-14 with my abilities and whatnot, doesn't going to a Loyola put me in a position where I SHOULD be in the top 20%? I mean, nothing is a sure thing, but come on.

What. No. It doesn't work like this.

Return to “What are my chances?”