splitter applying now Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FuManChusco

Silver

splitter applying now

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:02 am

Yo everyone, I've been away from the boards for a while. I thought I was going to work for 2 years and then go to law school, but I officially hate my job in finance and I would like to attend next fall. 2.5x/170. Basic question is, should I retake in December and apply late or just apply as soon as my LORs are complete in November with my 170? Obviously nothing is guaranteed with the lsat, but I could reasonably get a 173. I want to be in Boston in the long run, but would not be opposed to going out to the midwest for law school. Will a 173 help me at any T14 or BU/BC or should I suck it up and choose between WUSTL and Northeastern?

im_blue

Gold

Re: splitter applying now

Post by im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:07 pm

You should apply ED to Northwestern.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Yeah, that was my intial plan. Seems doubtful with a 170 and 1 year of WE though. I'm not sure I really want to wait until next cycle at this point. I can't take working another year in a field I hate. Can't find a decent job to save my life. I'll still give it a shot if that's my best course of action, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

What's better:
170 and a late November/early December app or
173+(hopefully) and a late December/early January app

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:50 pm

For Northwestern, I'll bet that 170 ED now beats 170+ RD in January. Not a great chance, but practically your only shot at a T14.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 pm

I have to say I agree with you from what I've read. My 2.5 makes T14 nearly impossible so I kind of want to maximize acceptances and money for next fall to other T30 schools. Putting my eggs in the Northwestern basket seems crazy. I'm leaning towards keeping my 170, and applying next cycle if I miss on everything. I just hope I don't get a WUSTL reject. I wish I could wait another year or 2, pull my lsat up a little and get NU, but waiting that long working a job I hate seems crazy considering my 2.5. If I get rejected in 2 years, I'll hate myself. I hate making decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I have to say I agree with you from what I've read. My 2.5 makes T14 nearly impossible so I kind of want to maximize acceptances and money for next fall to other T30 schools. Putting my eggs in the Northwestern basket seems crazy. I'm leaning towards keeping my 170, and applying next cycle if I miss on everything. I just hope I don't get a WUSTL reject. I wish I could wait another year or 2, pull my lsat up a little and get NU, but waiting that long working a job I hate seems crazy considering my 2.5. If I get rejected in 2 years, I'll hate myself. I hate making decisions.
Applying ED to Northwestern doesn't mean you can't apply to other schools.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 pm

fatduck wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:I have to say I agree with you from what I've read. My 2.5 makes T14 nearly impossible so I kind of want to maximize acceptances and money for next fall to other T30 schools. Putting my eggs in the Northwestern basket seems crazy. I'm leaning towards keeping my 170, and applying next cycle if I miss on everything. I just hope I don't get a WUSTL reject. I wish I could wait another year or 2, pull my lsat up a little and get NU, but waiting that long working a job I hate seems crazy considering my 2.5. If I get rejected in 2 years, I'll hate myself. I hate making decisions.
I realize this man. I'm not clueless. I'm saying just because 170 ED is better than 173 RD at northwestern doesn't mean that the former is better at all schools. Since Northwestern is virtually an auto-ding, I should probably do what will maximize my chances at T30 schools. Maybe a 173 December LSAT app at those schools is better than my 170 and a November app. That is what I'm trying to gauge currently.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:25 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
fatduck wrote:
I realize this man. I'm not clueless. I'm saying just because 170 ED is better than 173 RD at northwestern doesn't mean that the former is better at all schools. Since Northwestern is virtually an auto-ding, I should probably do what will maximize my chances at T30 schools. Maybe a 173 December LSAT app at those schools is better than my 170 and a November app. That is what I'm trying to gauge currently.
Dude, chill. Just apply w/ the 170 and update once you get the new score. Have Northwestern hold your app, you're not getting in w/ a 170 anyway so no loss there. WUSTL won't let you in till end of January/February. The things you're trying to accomplish are not mutually exclusive.

testmachine45

Bronze

Post by testmachine45 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 pm

I really hope this is wrong and it is better to apply in December with your higher LSAT. That is what im doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
fatduck wrote:
So ED to NU now, and apply to T30s in early January with your higher score.

testmachine45

Bronze

Post by testmachine45 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 pm

Also, NU ED is FLOODED with splitters this year....I am not sure it holds the same advantages as it once did. Just look on Law school numbers.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:30 pm

testmachine45 wrote:I really hope this is wrong and it is better to apply in December with your higher LSAT. That is what im doing.
"Better" is relative. I had a 175 after a 169 and got 0 T14 acceptances. If your score is "good enough," apply now and update.

testmachine45

Bronze

Post by testmachine45 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:36 pm

when did you apply? you got zero acceptances because u applied too late?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 pm

testmachine45 wrote:when did you apply? you got zero acceptances because u applied too late?
Yep. Blanket WLs from GTown up, applied in late January. I likely would have chosen WUSTL anyway for my own reasons, but you don't want to apply to T14s any later than November if possible. T30s are probably fine that late, got good money from UIUC and WUSTL despite the timing.

testmachine45

Bronze

Post by testmachine45 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Your numbers should have gotten you into one of those t14...wtf

testmachine45

Bronze

Post by testmachine45 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 pm

i cant believe applying later actually makes a difference, it seems ridiculous

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 am

testmachine45 wrote:i cant believe applying later actually makes a difference, it seems ridiculous
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/barrinmb
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/oneforship
Compare and believe

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:16 am

thanks statrocophic. didn't mean to sound like an asshole if it came across that way. I guess I'll send my apps in as soon as I can and have schools hold them until my December score comes in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”