Meh.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
reaisan

Meh.

Postby reaisan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:44 am

Hey all,

I am debating if I should spend a while working (it would be in education or child advocacy) before attending law school based on my chances of getting it. Also considering graduate school first.

To begin: my goal is leaning more toward children advocacy, consumer advocacy and other aspects of public interest law/lobbying.

GPA is a 3.2, and I anticipate a 160 (but we can round down to a 158 for critique's sake).

I'm a queer, AA, comedian/spoken word hobbyist of immigrant parents. My chaotic coming-out experience affected my GPA (maybe I should include that in an addendum, in my PS, or DS).

Choice schools are:
OSU
Wisconsin
UGA

Target is FSU or UMaimi.
Safety school is GSU.

Thanks a lot, you guys! I know there's hope for the lot of us, just gotta know which ones.
*Someone said I had a shot at Cornell if I pushed hard enough. Maybe, maybe.
Last edited by reaisan on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Re: Meh.

Postby cinephile » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 am

It wouldn't hurt to spend a couple years working, especially if you can use that time to study and retake the LSAT.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 pm

cinephile wrote:It wouldn't hurt to spend a couple years working, especially if you can use that time to study and retake the LSAT.

I want to, but the job market here in ATL is disgusting. I going to start interning at a child advocacy clinic, but it's been hard to find something that pays. If I don't get in, I'm thinking about teaching English abroad, though that may not help with admissions.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Retake if you get that low. Mid 160's and I think you have a definite shot at the lower T14. Heck some URM's got the T14 with your numbers ED:

160/3.0 UVa ED - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/billyez
164/3.2 GULC ED - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Luc252

I am fairly sure that you will get some decent schools if you score a 160 but I still think you should retake and aim higher. Mid 160's and the lower T14 becomes a lot more likely.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for the support! Those URM applicants, however, have a lot of other positives like a masters or substantial legal experience. I'm still going to try, I guess for my choice schools of UGA and UW. Though in a higher ranked school for laughs.

I guess if I don't get in this year, I'll apply ED next time and try to get some legal experience under my belt-- OR teach abroad and apply ED. I can save up a lot of money from one year in Korea.

Which sounds like a wiser choice? Saving up money, or adding some experience, based on my chances of getting in?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:25 pm

reaisan wrote:Thanks for the support! Those URM applicants, however, have a lot of other positives like a masters or substantial legal experience. I'm still going to try, I guess for my choice schools of UGA and UW. Though in a higher ranked school for laughs.

I guess if I don't get in this year, I'll apply ED next time and try to get some legal experience under my belt-- OR teach abroad and apply ED. I can save up a lot of money from one year in Korea.

Which sounds like a wiser choice? Saving up money, or adding some experience, based on my chances of getting in?

The softs won't really matter. The best thing you could do to get in next year would be to study hard and retake the LSAT.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:27 pm

reaisan wrote:Thanks for the support! Those URM applicants, however, have a lot of other positives like a masters or substantial legal experience. I'm still going to try, I guess for my choice schools of UGA and UW. Though in a higher ranked school for laughs.

If you have real leads on jobs that would let you explore your other interests, I say take the job. If you decide later that LS is still for you, it will still be there. But harder to go the other way round.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks, you guys!

You're all right: that the softs don't really matter in my case. So there's no point in going to grad school or interning if law school is my goal.

If/when I don't get in, I'll probably teach abroad, submit some research papers here and there, retake the LSAT and apply ED.

However, maybe I should gain residency in states I'm interested in during my year off?

And one more question! If I my current score is good enough for T1, and my choice is PI, should I settle?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:23 am

reaisan wrote:Thanks, you guys!

You're all right: that the softs don't really matter in my case. So there's no point in going to grad school or interning if law school is my goal.

If/when I don't get in, I'll probably teach abroad, submit some research papers here and there, retake the LSAT and apply ED.

However, maybe I should gain residency in states I'm interested in during my year off?

And one more question! If I my current score is good enough for T1, and my choice is PI, should I settle?

I've heard people saying that if you want PI that school prestige is even more important since PI jobs are so tough to get and that if you go to a top school you can use their LRAP programs to pay off debt despite the PI salary.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:28 am

You're right. The more I've been researching LRAPs and IBRs, the more I realize I should just shoot for the highest.

So, with aid not being too much of a factor, for those above reasons, what would be my chances at a T20? 3.2/160? I don't mind taking a year off to study either, if in the long-run I'm doing what I want.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:15 pm

I've been researching OSU today. They dominate regionally, and is in a considerably nice city.

I am SURE minorities are lacking, so maybe I have a shot there? If you guys are saying Cornell is a reach because I'm an URM, OSU has to be a shot too, right? :D Cheaper and well-respected in an urban setting. Residency is easy to obtain.

Anyone know what the PI market is like in Ohio?

Thanks, all!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:21 pm

reaisan wrote:I've been researching OSU today. They dominate regionally, and is in a considerably nice city.

I am SURE minorities are lacking, so maybe I have a shot there? If you guys are saying Cornell is a reach because I'm an URM, OSU has to be a shot too, right? :D Cheaper and well-respected in an urban setting. Residency is easy to obtain.

Anyone know what the PI market is like in Ohio?

Thanks, all!

I'm an OSU alum currently live in SE ohio. It depends on what kind of PI work you have in mind, there are the standard state jobs in cbus, but my understanding is that OSU isn't as dominant in Cincy or Cleveland (b/c of case and UC). Also, in my own experience (and LSN bears this out) OSU is a GPA whore when it comes to scholly's. I had a 3.0 gpa and 175 and got zip. Also, their LRAP sucks. But if you're in state and get some $, it isn't very expensive.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:06 pm

reaisan wrote:If I don't get in, I'm thinking about teaching English abroad, though that may not help with admissions.

I'm in my second year of teaching English abroad, and it really is an amazing experience. It's forced me to become incredibly independent, self-sufficient, and more outgoing. You end up meeting people you wouldn't have otherwise and actually integrate yourself into the community unlike when studying abroad. Plus there's tons of opportunities for traveling. I've loved this experience and can't recommend it highly enough, especially if you can save up for law school while teaching. But, as others have said, it probably won't help with admissions.

Return to “What are my chances?”