165, 3.0UGPA + Israeli Combat Unit & News Anchor....

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rostovru

165, 3.0UGPA + Israeli Combat Unit & News Anchor....

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 am

I graduated from Southern Cal five years ago. Since then, I've served in an IDF combat unit, worked as a news anchor on Israeli TV, and reported for Fox in the States. My biggest story was the Second Gaza War, and I became known for catching liars with their own words.

I've also volunteered in SE Asia.

My obstacle rises from a low UGPA.

My LSAT is presentable, although obviously not Ivy League worthy.

I'm shooting for a strong program in International Law on either coast, although I prefer NYC.

Oh, did I mention I'm gay?

What are my options? How will my UGPA play into admissions decision-making five years later?

bk1

Re: 165, 3.0UGPA + Israeli Combat Unit & News Anchor....

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 am

Retake the LSAT.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:44 am

rostovru wrote:I graduated from Southern Cal five years ago. Since then, I've served in an IDF combat unit, worked as a news anchor on Israeli TV, and reported for Fox in the States. My biggest story was the Second Gaza War, and I became known for catching liars with their own words.

I'm shooting for a strong program in International Law on either coast, although I prefer NYC.

What are my options? How will my UGPA play into admissions decision-making five years later?

Excellent softs. Hopefully a close-minded adcom won't write you off for serving in the IDF and reporting for Fox. Still, you should probably retake the LSAT. a 3.0 will be tough to overcome without a higher score.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:54 am

HeavenWood wrote:
rostovru wrote:I graduated from Southern Cal five years ago. Since then, I've served in an IDF combat unit, worked as a news anchor on Israeli TV, and reported for Fox in the States. My biggest story was the Second Gaza War, and I became known for catching liars with their own words.

Excellent softs. Hopefully a close-minded adcom won't write you off for serving in the IDF and reporting for Fox. Still, you should probably retake the LSAT. a 3.0 will be tough to overcome without a higher score.

Deal. Although a December re-take rules out Fall 2011 admission...

Would a school in the vein of GW, UVA or UMich be attainable with the current? And would a T14 become realistic with a 170+?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:59 am

rostovru wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
rostovru wrote:Would a school in the vein of GW, UVA or UMich be attainable with the current? And would a T14 become realistic with a 170+?

Probably not and probably yes.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:00 am

None of those with your current stats. A 170+ is really the only way for a T14.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:11 pm

bk1 wrote:None of those with your current stats. A 170+ is really the only way for a T14.

bk1, you just posted this:

bk1 wrote:Retake if you get that low. Mid 160's and I think you have a definite shot at the lower T14. Heck some URM's got the T14 with your numbers ED:

160/3.0 UVa ED - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/billyez
164/3.2 GULC ED - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Luc252

I am fairly sure that you will get some decent schools if you score a 160 but I still think you should retake and aim higher. Mid 160's and the lower T14 becomes a lot more likely.

Obviously, this is all subjective.

Are you on an adcom, current student, grad, or someone with a special interest but no involvement?

I'm asking more in the interest of gauging how worthwhile it would be to delay my application for Fall 2011 by taking the December LSAT - based on your and similar advice - or even waiting another year to accommodate a re-take with a 170+ goal to allow for ED at a T14?

If I could get bottom T14 with my stats, or even top 20, I'd argue the overall financial investment would be justified over the long term.

Waiting another year for 170+ and a T14 may make job hunting like 'shooting fish in a barrel' as Columbia-ites are fond of reminding the masses, but it also creates a major delay that could be financially more damaging than the prospect of working a bit harder for employment post-graduation from a top 20 (or by the stats you cited above, lower T14) and entering Fall 2011.
Last edited by rostovru on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captainculpepper

Postby captainculpepper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 pm

rostovru wrote:
bk1 wrote:None of those with your current stats. A 170+ is really the only way for a T14.

bk1, you just posted this:

bk1 wrote:Retake if you get that low. Mid 160's and I think you have a definite shot at the lower T14. Heck some URM's got the T14 with your numbers ED:

160/3.0 UVa ED - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/billyez
164/3.2 GULC ED - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Luc252

OP is not URM

Ndkrto

Postby Ndkrto » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:25 pm

rostovru wrote:

That just sounds funny to read it. It's like you're selling me a car and then throwing in "Did I mention it comes with an air freshener?"

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Ndkrto wrote:
rostovru wrote:

That just sounds funny to read it. It's like you're selling me a car and then throwing in "Did I mention it comes with an air freshener?"

Humor was my intent. I'm blown away by the idea that giving it up to dudes equates minority status.

**corrected - it doesn't**
Last edited by rostovru on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 pm

if you already have a 165 It seems very possible you could approach 170. Unless waiting a year is out of the question it seems like it would be in your best interests. I know for me waiting another year on top of the year I just did would drive me nuts though.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Sandro777 wrote:if you already have a 165 It seems very possible you could approach 170. Unless waiting a year is out of the question it seems like it would be in your best interests. I know for me waiting another year on top of the year I just did would drive me nuts though.

Agreed.

I'm 28, and I've already put a year into this (albeit six months of half-assed preparations). I have crow's feet by now: How much time do I have?

That question can only be answered post-graduation upon seeing what job prospects materialize.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:00 pm

captainculpepper wrote:OP is not URM

Doesn't gay fall within URM? Even though gay lawyers apparently made it off the endangered list ages ago...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:07 pm

weren't you also part of the Israeli team that cured AIDS?

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:09 pm

General Tso wrote:weren't you also part of the Israeli team that cured AIDS?

Yeah, and I did it after declaring myself a straight transgendered female convert to Shia Islam. And I really feel somehow like I'm Puerto Rican.... :mrgreen:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:54 pm

rostovru wrote:Doesn't gay fall within URM? Even though gay lawyers apparently made it off the endangered list ages ago...

No. URM's are African American, Native American, Mexican American, and Puerto Rican American only. The URM boost really is that big, but you are not a URM. Retake the LSAT if you want to go somewhere worthwhile or get a good scholarship.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
rostovru wrote:Doesn't gay fall within URM? Even though gay lawyers apparently made it off the endangered list ages ago...

No. URM's are African American, Native American, Mexican American, and Puerto Rican American only. The URM boost really is that big, but you are not a URM. Retake the LSAT if you want to go somewhere worthwhile or get a good scholarship.

Fair enough.

So what's your background? Adcom guy, student, practicing lawyer?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:09 pm

To add to BK, there is some people who suggest being gay and writing a diversity statement does give you some boost. But the boost for you is going to be far less than the boost for an AA or Mexican person. With that GPA you will still need a 170 for your T14 dreams.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:11 pm

rostovru wrote:Fair enough.

Reapplicant. Applied last year and made a ton of mistakes, correcting those mistakes this cycle. My only real credentials are talking to several friends who have been through the process the past few years (2 of whom are practicing lawyers), researching the law school application process, so that I made sure I didn't make the same mistakes I did a year ago, and spending enough hours on TLS to be clinically diagnosed with addiction. TLS is a really good source and looking at stats from past cycles (lawschoolnumbers.com and admissionsdean.com are great resources) shows how consistent and numbers driven this process tends to be.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
rostovru wrote:Fair enough.

Reapplicant. Applied last year and made a ton of mistakes, correcting those mistakes this cycle. My only real credentials are talking to several friends who have been through the process the past few years (2 of whom are practicing lawyers), researching the law school application process, so that I made sure I didn't make the same mistakes I did a year ago, and spending enough hours on TLS to be clinically diagnosed with addiction. TLS is a really good source and looking at stats from past cycles (lawschoolnumbers.com and admissionsdean.com are great resources) shows how consistent and numbers driven this process tends to be.

Helpful to know. Your advice is right on with reported numbers.

There are few wild cards. All of the 'maybe you'll be the one exception' stuff gets hilarious after awhile. The bottom line is that the top schools bank on keeping people out, and anyone who thinks they're getting around the fenceposts by being special is likely a borderline narcissist. We'd all like to be that person, but reality proves it's not even remotely likely.

Well, unless you're a Bush or New England WASP with deep connections to an Ivy... Then you could submit a plate of shit in lieu of transcripts, and still have your ass kissed.

Or should I say licked?

Return to “What are my chances?”