Chances? College Senior, 3.0 GPA, 165 LSAT [Retaking in Dec]

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dr. Strangelove

Chances? College Senior, 3.0 GPA, 165 LSAT [Retaking in Dec]

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm applying to a bunch of law schools right now.
Here's my list.
I think I can bump my GPA up a few points and I plan to retake in December.
What are my chances? Also what would be the min. LSAT needed to have a chance at each school [and let me know if a 165 is sufficient for any of these schools].

UVA
Cornell
Fordham
Wash U
Minnesota
Illinois
Miami
Cardozo
Brooklyn
Buffalo

im_blue

Re: Chances? College Senior, 3.0 GPA, 165 LSAT [Retaking in Dec]

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 am

UVA 170+
Wash U 167+
Minnesota 167+
Illinois 167+

Looks like a good list of splitter-friendly schools. I'd also suggest:

Emory 166+
W&L 166+

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I have a 3.2 aiming for a 160 on the Dec LSAT. I was aiming for way lower-ranked schools like UWisconsin or UGA. Maybe you'll get some money from these schools if you hit 170? Worth applying to see.

I guess it's true that with a high enough score, GPA can be excused. Good luck!

fwilliamgreen

Postby fwilliamgreen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:18 pm

T-14 and Fordham are most likely unavailable to you, even with a 170, because of the low GPA. That being said, if you can afford the application fees then certainly send apps to Gtown, UVA, NU etc. There are always a few who make it happen.

If you do get the LSAT up closer to 170 then you will be in at places like W&L and Illinois and likely WASH U. Also, GW is pretty good for splitters and, like the previous poster said, Emory is a possibility. Fordham, like BU/BC, is very tough on GPA's relative to their ranking. If you can handle the midwest, Illinois and WASH U are very generous with scholarship money.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm

fwilliamgreen wrote:T-14 and Fordham are most likely unavailable to you, even with a 170, because of the low GPA. That being said, if you can afford the application fees then certainly send apps to Gtown, UVA, NU etc. There are always a few who make it happen.

If you do get the LSAT up closer to 170 then you will be in at places like W&L and Illinois and likely WASH U. Also, GW is pretty good for splitters and, like the previous poster said, Emory is a possibility. Fordham, like BU/BC, is very tough on GPA's relative to their ranking. If you can handle the midwest, Illinois and WASH U are very generous with scholarship money.

That's great to hear about Wash U, it's one of my top choices for going to law school out of senior year.
I'm a New Yorker by birth but have a relatively strong interest in working in Chicago..

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:That's great to hear about Wash U, it's one of my top choices for going to law school out of senior year.
I'm a New Yorker by birth but have a relatively strong interest in working in Chicago..

Does any one know how Wash U fairs in the Chicago job market? OP is now making me kinda interested...!

Peg

Postby Peg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:42 pm

reaisan wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:That's great to hear about Wash U, it's one of my top choices for going to law school out of senior year.

Does any one know how Wash U fairs in the Chicago job market? OP is now making me kinda interested...!

It fares very well. I think it's the market that the majority of their students get into.

OP, I'm in a similar boat as you are and I'm retaking for the T20.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:48 pm

you should have a good shot a buffalo. they are looking for lsats above 156 especially with a gpa above 3. if you can raise it a tenth of a point by the end of this semester( their application window closes january 15) you will be even better, plus if you are instate, the tutition is allready very cheap
You should have a decent chance at miami

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:02 am

Peg wrote:
reaisan wrote:

It fares very well. I think it's the market that the majority of their students get into.

...are you sure about that? Chicago was hit hard by the recession, and WUSTL is behind UChi, NU, Mich, and most other T14s in the pecking order, and is in peer competition with schools like Illinois and Notre Dame. Anecdotally, I've heard that the good majority of WUSTL grads ain't doin' too hot in Chitown.

Peg

Postby Peg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 am

beachbum wrote:...are you sure about that? Chicago was hit hard by the recession, and WUSTL is behind UChi, NU, Mich, and most other T14s in the pecking order, and is in peer competition with schools like Illinois and Notre Dame. Anecdotally, I've heard that the good majority of WUSTL grads ain't doin' too hot in Chitown.

Oh okay, I'm going on what I've heard from two acquaintances I have at WUSTL - most of the people they know get offers from big Chicago firms with pretty salaries, and they told me Chicago is the biggest market for WUSTL. I think they probably have a better chance than what it looks like because some of the higher ranked schools (like U Chicago) also send bunches of their students to big markets in NY, DC and California. They're not restricted to Chicago or the Midwest, while firms know that Chicago is more or less the best market WUSTL can get, so their grads are more likely to stay.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:21 am

Peg wrote:
reaisan wrote:

all i can say is LOL
very well against schools like upitt/cinci......

Someone counted up all the midlaw/biglaw SA positions available in Chicago. I think in 07 there were about 900 spots available. Last year it was a little under 300. There are about that many students at NW.... Chicago is a shell of what it used to be..... Add in Uchicago and a ton of students from Michshitgan. Then count the other "peer schools" like uiuc/nd/indiana/wiscansin/iowa and you have a cesspool! Dont forget Loyola and Depaul!
Firms like DLA are taking 3 SA when they used to take 15.

going to wustl/nd/uiuc and wanting the Chicago market is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. There are just too many T14 schools feeding into an overly saturated market.....
Hey at least you are bringing a weapon right?
Last edited by thexfactor on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 am

Peg wrote:
beachbum wrote:...are you sure about that? Chicago was hit hard by the recession, and WUSTL is behind UChi, NU, Mich, and most other T14s in the pecking order, and is in peer competition with schools like Illinois and Notre Dame. Anecdotally, I've heard that the good majority of WUSTL grads ain't doin' too hot in Chitown.

Oh okay, I'm going on what I've heard from two acquaintances I have at WUSTL - most of the people they know get offers from big Chicago firms with pretty salaries, and they told me Chicago is the biggest market for WUSTL. I think they probably have a better chance than what it looks like because some of the higher ranked schools (like U Chicago) also send bunches of their students to big markets in NY, DC and California. They're not restricted to Chicago or the Midwest, while firms know that Chicago is more or less the best market WUSTL can get, so their grads are more likely to stay.

eh, try talking to some of the current WUSTL students on TLS. I'm sure Chicago is a possibility for WUSTL, and you'd certainly have a fighting chance if you end up in the top 15-20%. But something tells me reality is not as rosy as you seem to think it is.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:21 am

beachbum wrote:eh, try talking to some of the current WUSTL students on TLS. I'm sure Chicago is a possibility for WUSTL, and you'd certainly have a fighting chance if you end up in the top 15-20%. But something tells me reality is not as rosy as you seem to think it is.

Aha! And on that note, WUSTL goes on my "not unless I get a full-ride" category. Thanks!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:34 am

I would apply to Wisconsin and Iowa as well, you may get some $$.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:45 pm

As is, do you think he has a shot at Georgetown PT? And when applying to GTown, can you apply to both PT and FT?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 pm

reaisan wrote:As is, do you think he has a shot at Georgetown PT? And when applying to GTown, can you apply to both PT and FT?

Probably not, as PT admissions standards are (allegedly) becoming much more in line with FT standards. I believe you can apply to both programs at once, but I'd need someone else to verify.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:42 pm

beachbum wrote:
reaisan wrote:As is, do you think he has a shot at Georgetown PT? And when applying to GTown, can you apply to both PT and FT?

Probably not, as PT admissions standards are (allegedly) becoming much more in line with FT standards. I believe you can apply to both programs at once, but I'd need someone else to verify.

You can apply to both programs at once.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:02 pm

buckilaw wrote:You can apply to both programs at once.
Oh my! Well, the worth of GTown is up for debate on the forums any how. Ugh! Choosing a school is so, so hard!

OP, if things don't work out (as in you don't get a lot of financial support), I strongly suggest working for a while to save up. Minimizes debt and seems to boost your chances of getting into better schools and aid! :) Good luck!

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Okay- so I've finally started sending in applications in.
Where else should I apply?
I basically made it clear on all of these applications that I am retaking the LSAT..

Here are places I sent apps to so far.

UVA
Wash U
Fordham
Florida State
Miami
Buffalo (NY resident)

I only want to apply to another six schools at most (Duke will probably be a definite, just because that's my undergrad, *shrug*)- where else would you apply if you were in my situation?
I'm going hardcore with LSAT prep now- pretty much told my bros, "Peace, see you in a month."

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:46 am

Bump.
PMs work too.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Cornell and Emory are my top choices! I hope they let us both in. My scores are similar to yours. Although I keep hearing BC/BU are GPA-philes, I see a few people with your scores every so often. Just apply ASAP to boost your chances! :)

UGA will also love you, btw.

Return to “What are my chances?”