Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Should I give up on Law School?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:25 pm 

Hey everyone,

I've always been extremely interested in law. I'm usually always up to date on what's going on in the legal and political sphere. With that said.

My background:

I'm currently a senior at USC. Instead of going with my original interests in political science and communications, I chose instead to major in Economics with electives in finance and accounting. Due to pressure from friends/family and my own insecurities, I chose to go after a career in investment banking. Long story short, I've done internships in the industry and the work for me personally was unbearable. Working 120 hours a week is one thing, working 120 hours and completely hating what you're doing is another.

With that said, my GPA started out strong freshmen and the first half of sophomore year. I was doing general electives, most were oriented around law, and I got mostly A's and B+'s. However, this changed rapidly once I started my economic courses. The fact I vehemently hated the material coupled with some extraordinary events over the next year (death of my best friend, parent's divorce, severe medical condition) my GPA took a huge hit.

Right now I'm at a precipice and I have a choice to make. I can continue on in a career that I hate, or I can try and change paths. Before I make this decision I need advice on whether or not this is feasible.

Since my sophomore year I've had to withdraw from 4-5 classes. My grades range from one D, to C's, B's, and A's. They're all over the place. My cumulative GPA is sitting around a 3.62 (mostly due to straight A's freshmen year, it's 3.2~ excluding freshmen year), this also does not include the effect that withdrawn classes have on LSAC GPA calculations.

My option is this, I can switch from my economics major to political science where I'm 100% certain I could get 4.0 in my remaining courses (about 32 units, or 8 classes). This would require me to stay an extra semester and graduate late.

My question is this: Assuming I can score decently on the LSAT with a 165+ (I've done well on practice tests in the past), do you guys think I have any shot at a top 20 law school? Will they look past my poor performance and more heavily weight work experience, LSAT score, and upward trend?

I need to know if this option is even worth considering or if I've essentially already dug my own grave and I should move on and find something else.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Michael

Post subject: Re: Should I give up on Law School?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:27 pm 

You don't need 3 posts on this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:28 pm 

1) You can write an addendum explaining bad grades and personal problems that have impacted your GPA.
2) A 3.62 is not a bad GPA.
3) If you study your ass off, you can do well on the LSAT.
4) If law is your dream, why not?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm 

Become an investment banker, get an MBA from an elite school ( a 3.6 at Harvard Business School makes you look like a genius), make a ton of money. Retire at 40. Your welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:49 pm 

Really becoming pretty set on not pursuing i-banking as a career. The work is not rewarding and it requires no intellectual capacity whatsoever. You could literally pluck a kid from high school and teach them to do the job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:49 pm 

SolomonM wrote:
Really becoming pretty set on not pursuing i-banking as a career. The work is not rewarding and it requires no intellectual capacity whatsoever. You could literally pluck a kid from high school and teach them to do the job.

Might want to do some research on the legal field before you jump in there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm 

bk1 wrote:
SolomonM wrote:

This. A lot of mindless work in the legal profession. One of the partners at the firm I worked for, who went to Harvard Law School, recommended the path that I just described earlier. She told me how jealous she was of her friends from school who made partner at Goldman and worked for Lehman Brothers. I could not believe it. She was making well over 250,000 dollars and she was lamenting her career mistakes to me.

Just think of this, I-bankers make bank immediately. You may not appreciate this now. But you will three years down the road when you have zero money in your pocket and are 150,000 dollars in the hole.

If you really can get one of those coveted I-banking jobs, you would be absolutely out of your mind to pass it up. If you hate it and you still have an itch to be a lawyer go back and go to law school. Make some money first, allow yourself to have some options, and get some real world experience.

Also, given your options I wouldn’t think about law school with anything less than a 170.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:04 pm 

SolomonM wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've always been extremely interested in law. I'm usually always up to date on what's going on in the legal and political sphere. With that said.

My background:

I'm currently a senior at USC. Instead of going with my original interests in political science and communications, I chose instead to major in Economics with electives in finance and accounting. Due to pressure from friends/family and my own insecurities, I chose to go after a career in investment banking. Long story short, I've done internships in the industry and the work for me personally was unbearable. Working 120 hours a week is one thing, working 120 hours and completely hating what you're doing is another.

With that said, my GPA started out strong freshmen and the first half of sophomore year. I was doing general electives, most were oriented around law, and I got mostly A's and B+'s. However, this changed rapidly once I started my economic courses. The fact I vehemently hated the material coupled with some extraordinary events over the next year (death of my best friend, parent's divorce, severe medical condition) my GPA took a huge hit.

Right now I'm at a precipice and I have a choice to make. I can continue on in a career that I hate, or I can try and change paths. Before I make this decision I need advice on whether or not this is feasible.

Since my sophomore year I've had to withdraw from 4-5 classes. My grades range from one D, to C's, B's, and A's. They're all over the place. My cumulative GPA is sitting around a 3.62 (mostly due to straight A's freshmen year, it's 3.2~ excluding freshmen year), this also does not include the effect that withdrawn classes have on LSAC GPA calculations.

My option is this, I can switch from my economics major to political science where I'm 100% certain I could get 4.0 in my remaining courses (about 32 units, or 8 classes). This would require me to stay an extra semester and graduate late.

My question is this: Assuming I can score decently on the LSAT with a 165+ (I've done well on practice tests in the past), do you guys think I have any shot at a top 20 law school? Will they look past my poor performance and more heavily weight work experience, LSAT score, and upward trend?

I need to know if this option is even worth considering or if I've essentially already dug my own grave and I should move on and find something else.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Michael

Law Schools do look at GPA trends, but they're largely numbers conscious. A 3.62 is very respectable, and the median at a few law schools in the t-20. Also, USC is a top 25? university. This is taken into account at a minor level.

Your 3.62 and a 165 would put you in the running back at USC lol.... closer to 170 and you're good.

They will not weight your LSAT score. A 3.62 at USC is very good for your goal of t-20.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:37 am 

bk1 wrote:
SolomonM wrote:

And on IBanking as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 am 

jetergrl2ss wrote:
1) You can write an addendum explaining bad grades and personal problems that have impacted your GPA.
2) A 3.62 is not a bad GPA.
3) If you study your ass off, you can do well on the LSAT.
4) If law is your dream, why not?

Law isn't a dream. It's a sad reality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 am 

Don't do Ibanking if you absolutely hate it. I know plenty of ibankers who got out quickly and felt like they lost time they could have spent doing something else. Also, you can make money in other area's, the question is whether or not you should do law. Although, personally, I think Ibanking is terrible as well, but if during on campus recruiting Goldman wants to interview me, i'm damn sure i'll at least take the interview.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:21 pm 

OP said his UG GPA was a 3.6, his LSAC GPA will be much lower if he adds in mutliple withdrawn classes. Regardless if you can stay above a 3.0 and kill the LSAT (170+) in at a few T20 schools and UVA ED.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm 

SupraVln180 wrote:
OP said his UG GPA was a 3.6, his LSAC GPA will be much lower if he adds in mutliple withdrawn classes. Regardless if you can stay above a 3.0 and kill the LSAT (170+) in at a few T20 schools and UVA ED.

withdraws don't reduce your LSAC, not unless it's a WF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:39 pm 

Redundant thread is redundant.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134417&p=3549127#p3549127

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]