Insight on chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AC1984

Insight on chances?

Postby AC1984 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm

3.9 GPA
167 LSAT (single take)

4 years legal-related work experience (with managment roles and advancement)
Very strong softs and letters of recommendation
White/male

Schools applied to (applications submitted mid-Oct):
Columbia (ED)
UC Berkeley
University of Michigan
Northwestern
Georgetown
University of Minnesota
Washington University
George Washington
Boston U
University of Wisconsin

Any insights about my chances at these schools?

Thanks!

Patriot1208

Re: Insight on chances?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Are your softs actually strong? Either way, Columbia is definitely not happening. Northwestern and Georgetown are likely rejects as well but not for sure. Michigan is a possibility but not great chance, Berkeley is the same, but probably less. Every other school is an admit.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:44 pm

ED UVa

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:51 pm

turkeysub wrote:ED UVa

No, UVA is more LSAT sensitive and less GPA sensitive. OP only really has a decent shot at Mich, Berkeley, and Cornell in the top 14, maybe Duke but not likely. OP should consider applying ED to one of the first two, probably mich.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Last edited by turkeysub on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
turkeysub wrote:ED UVa

No, UVA is more LSAT sensitive and less GPA sensitive. OP only really has a decent shot at Mich, Berkeley, and Cornell in the top 14, maybe Duke but not likely. OP should consider applying ED to one of the first two, probably mich.

I don't think that's accurate. UVA has been very accommodating to ED applicants who meet or exceed at least one median. UVA ED is probably OP's best bet for the T14, though Cal (assuming "strong" softs) and Michigan ED might also be viable options. Otherwise, OP is looking good at WUSTL on down.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm

turkeysub wrote:Well I had almost the exact same numbers and it worked out for me. While it's by no means a guarantee, it should at least be an option for the OP to consider.

I stand corrected then, but my quick glance at LSN showed almost all yellow dots in that area.

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
turkeysub wrote:Well I had almost the exact same numbers and it worked out for me. While it's by no means a guarantee, it should at least be an option for the OP to consider.

I stand corrected then, but my quick glance at LSN showed ALMOST all yellow dots in that area.

Meaning it might be worth a try

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm

AC1984 wrote:3.9 GPA
167 LSAT (single take)

4 years legal-related work experience (with managment roles and advancement)
Very strong softs and letters of recommendation
White/male

Schools applied to (applications submitted mid-Oct):
Columbia (ED)
UC Berkeley
University of Michigan
Northwestern
Georgetown
University of Minnesota
Washington University
George Washington
Boston U
University of Wisconsin

You're aiming too high with CLS ED (25th LSAT = 170). You should ED to Northwestern instead (25th = 166), which seems like a great fit with your work experience.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Kswizzie wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

I stand corrected then, but my quick glance at LSN showed ALMOST all yellow dots in that area.

Meaning it might be worth a try

I never said it wasn't, but my point was that I personally wouldn't waste an ED there and instead ED to Mich. Especially, since Mich is already on OP's list.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I never said it wasn't, but my point was that I personally wouldn't waste an ED there and instead ED to Mich. Especially, since Mich is already on OP's list.

I agree that Columbia is a stretch, but what if it is his first choice? EDing should not simply be an admissions strategy. It should be about where you would go regardless of where else you got in or how much money you received. If he EDs to Michigan and is accepted, it is game over - that is where he has to go.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:32 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I never said it wasn't, but my point was that I personally wouldn't waste an ED there and instead ED to Mich. Especially, since Mich is already on OP's list.

I agree that Columbia is a stretch, but what if it is his first choice? EDing should not simply be an admissions strategy. It should be about where you would go regardless of where else you got in or how much money you received. If he EDs to Michigan and is accepted, it is game over - that is where he has to go.

Depends on OP is ok with being completely shut out of the top if his/her list or would like to maximize the chances of at least getting one. And BTW Columbia isn't a stretch, it's a statistical impossibility barring something extraordinary OP hasn't told us.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:I agree that Columbia is a stretch, but what if it is his first choice? EDing should not simply be an admissions strategy. It should be about where you would go regardless of where else you got in or how much money you received. If he EDs to Michigan and is accepted, it is game over - that is where he has to go.

Actually ED'ing should only be an admissions strategy.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:39 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:

Right, but you also have to apply with a game plan in mind. ED is probably the OP's best (and only?) route to the T14. EDing to Columbia is a poor decision because a) OP's chances of admission are extremely small, and b) by the time Columbia renders a decision, it will be too late for OP to ED anywhere else (with the possible exception of a late UVA ED). So it's in OP's best interest to ED to somewhere more reasonable (unless he absolutely has to give Columbia a shot and doesn't mind reapplying next cycle).

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:44 pm

ED UVA, 3.85+ w/ 165+ is in.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:18 pm

bk1 wrote:Actually ED'ing should only be an admissions strategy.

Getting admitted is only the first part. You also have to spend three years at the school. Columbia, Virginia, and Michigan are not interchangeable. If going to a top 14 school is really important to AC1984, and he likes all of the schools about the same amount, then sure, Virginia or Michigan would be a much better ED choice. But there could also be reasons why AC1984 prefers Columbia. (AC1984, if you have your heart set on Columbia, you may want to consider retaking the LSAT.) I don't think there is one correct ED choice based on someone's GPA and LSAT score.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:10 pm

You and I agree, but that doesn't mean people should ED without even considering their numbers. If you have no shot somewhere or your numbers blow them out of the water, you shouldn't apply ED there.

Return to “What are my chances?”