Multiple Transfers Before Law School Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
reallycreativename

New

Multiple Transfers Before Law School

Post by reallycreativename » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Does having multiple schools on your application adversely affect your chances of getting into law school?

Specifically, I want to go to UT Law.

I attended Wharton County Junior College my freshman year and then transferred to Texas Tech. So I am currently a sophomore at Texas Tech. However, I am considering transferring again to UTSA for my junior year. I feel that going to UTSA will increase my chances of getting into UT as UTSA has more connections with UT than Texas Tech.

So my question is: how will having three different schools(Wharton County Junior College, Texas Tech and UTSA) on my application affect my chances of getting into UT or any law school?

Thank you.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Multiple Transfers Before Law School

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 pm

It won't affect your chances.

I doubt going to UTSA well help get you into UT law.

reallycreativename

New

Post by reallycreativename » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:00 pm

bk187 wrote:It won't affect your chances.

I doubt going to UTSA well help get you into UT law.
Thank you for answering my question. I'm glad to hear it won't affect my chances.

But from what I've been told, UTSA has strong ties with UT Law. It has the Summer Law School Preparation Academy. The Dean of Admissions for UT Law always does at least one meet and greet, UT Law professors give lectures, letters of recommendation from UT Law professors carry higher than average weight, etc.

Thoughts?

http://www.utsa.edu/ilpa/?pg=SLSPAInfo

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:05 pm

It's not going to help you outperform your numbers. You're a TX resident so that already helps but focus on your GPA and LSAT more than anything. If going to UTSA would hurt your GPA then don't do it, if it would help then it is worth considering.

Soft factors are generally inconsequential in comparison to GPA/LSAT. And LOR's really aren't that useful (which would be the only thing you would be gaining out of UTSA).

reallycreativename

New

Post by reallycreativename » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Thanks bk187. Your answers were very helpful.

I want some more opinions so, if anyone wants to post, please post.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:34 pm

reallycreativename wrote:Thanks bk187. Your answers were very helpful.

I want some more opinions so, if anyone wants to post, please post.
Why would you do this? Tech isnt a good school, but UTSA is even worse. I go to UT now, and have a friend who came through UTSA's (CAP) program to UT. Just stay at Tech.... unless there is something appealing about San Antonio to you? but if you have been there, there isnt much appealing.

Going to UTSA will not increase your chances at UT law in any way. So please dont let that be a reason to transfer there. But it will be very easy to get a 4.0 GPA at UTSA which would help. (i dont know if its ay easier then tech though...)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”