I got suspended

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rundoxierun

Re: I got suspended

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:I don't get the sense that OP feels bad about what he did, so I am going to say he will repeat it multiple times, if not in senior year, in LS as well, especially when he is allowed to drink legally. That may be the real problem for him. Not once does he say now that he is suspended, he will not drink again and will do well. He is still saying it's not serious, and he can do well in school despite his problems... wait he doesn't have any problems.

Wow... this thread just officially hit the level of ridiculous.. It absolutely amazes me how many people are responding to a thread on a topic they clearly know little to nothing about..

adedabirdy

Postby adedabirdy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:I don't get the sense that OP feels bad about what he did, so I am going to say he will repeat it multiple times, if not in senior year, in LS as well, especially when he is allowed to drink legally. That may be the real problem for him. Not once does he say now that he is suspended, he will not drink again and will do well. He is still saying it's not serious, and he can do well in school despite his problems... wait he doesn't have any problems.

Next time read the entire thread if your going to make comments like that. I clearly said I'm not drinking anymore and I started AA about 3 weeks ago ( the last incident occurred about a month ago).
In fact I feel really bad about what I did, the first time I thought it was just bad luck, and yes it's sad that it took suspension to realize that I may have a problem, but better realize it now then later in life.
I'm a straight A student who got suspended from school, I obviously regret the past and feel bad about it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:32 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Wow... this thread just officially hit the level of ridiculous.. It absolutely amazes me how many people are responding to a thread on a topic they clearly know little to nothing about..

It is merely a reflection of what the world think of this.

It also amazes me how amazed you are at getting responses like this on a non alcoholic web forum.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

It is merely a reflection of what the world think of this.

It also amazes me how amazed you are at getting responses like this on a non alcoholic web forum.

Most law students drink way too much.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:36 pm

adedabirdy wrote:

Next time read the entire thread if your going to make comments like that. I clearly said I'm not drinking anymore and I started AA about 3 weeks ago ( the last incident occurred about a month ago).
In fact I feel really bad about what I did, the first time I thought it was just bad luck, and yes it's sad that it took suspension to realize that I may have a problem, but better realize it now then later in life.
I'm a straight A student who got suspended from school, I obviously regret the past and feel bad about it.

So it's the consequences that you regret or that you were hurting yourself? There is a fine line between conditioning and self-realization, I am just not sure which side you are on. Read your original post, that's what I judge on. Anything else in the thread are information you provide in response to others' comments, which could be genuine, or just your self-defense mechanism at work. Without knowing you (and no one but you knows how you really feel about it), I can only comment based on the first post.

You have a bigger problem because you were able to do well in school despite it. So why is it a problem? Is it a problem because you shouldn't be doing it? Or is it a problem because you are finally being punished severely because it? Like I said, a fine line, and I am not so sure where you stand.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Most law students drink way too much.

Most grad student, young adult, older adult, working people, etc. drink too much. They don't all repeatedly get written up multiple for it. How many law students do you know that have multiple public drunkenness, disorderly conduct or whatever charges? What do you think happens to people who got DUI 3 or more times?

adedabirdy

Postby adedabirdy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
adedabirdy wrote:

So it's the consequences that you regret or that you were hurting yourself? There is a fine line between conditioning and self-realization, I am just not sure which side you are on. Read your original post, that's what I judge on. Anything else in the thread are information you provide in response to others' comments, which could be genuine, or just your self-defense mechanism at work. Without knowing you (and no one but you knows how you really feel about it), I can only comment based on the first post.

You have a bigger problem because you were able to do well in school despite it. So why is it a problem? Is it a problem because you shouldn't be doing it? Or is it a problem because you are finally being punished severely because it? Like I said, a fine line, and I am not so sure where you stand.

First post I only stated the facts, and I stated I was going to steer away from alcohol. And like I said it took going to the hospital twice/ suspension to realize that drinking was a problem ( first time I went to the hospital I figured it was bad luck). So is it a problem that I ever started drinking? yes. Is it a problem that I am being punished severely ( or that I got caught)? yes and no. Yes because it might ruin my chances of getting into law school, but also no because it made me realize that I have a problem, and it will prevent me from getting into future trouble w/the law, like something more severe ( DUI, for example).

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Most grad student, young adult, older adult, working people, etc. drink too much. They don't all repeatedly get written up multiple for it. How many law students do you know that have multiple public drunkenness, disorderly conduct or whatever charges? What do you think happens to people who got DUI 3 or more times?

The first two incidents were just getting caught with underage alcohol. The third is really the only serious one because he was being a dick in the hospital.

His campus is just using the hospital as a drunk tank.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:54 pm

adedabirdy wrote:First post I only stated the facts, and I stated I was going to steer away from alcohol. And like I said it took going to the hospital twice/ suspension to realize that drinking was a problem ( first time I went to the hospital I figured it was bad luck). So is it a problem that I ever started drinking? yes. Is it a problem that I am being punished severely ( or that I got caught)? yes and no. Yes because it might ruin my chances of getting into law school, but also no because it made me realize that I have a problem, and it will prevent me from getting into future trouble w/the law, like something more severe ( DUI, for example).

Ok I will admit what I am saying is harsh, but that's my stance on these kind of things. For me, personally, I prefer kids see that they were wrong, that they were wrong even if they were never caught. Because knowing so would help you make better decisions in life, on other subjects. Hopefully you see that it was a problem for you (that's why it is hard because you were able to be productive) and you should not do it in the future - not for the fear of getting in trouble, or not get into law school, or not have a good job, not for anything but yourself. You should not do it in the future because it negatively impact you in many ways, and you should learn to only do positive thing for your life. Take responsibility for your own life, even when no one else is watching.

I would be the last one bashing people for underage drinking. I grew up in a society with no age limit, and I had a first drink when I was 5, and I have been consuming since then. I don't drink a lot, I just enjoy it when I enjoy it. So don't think I am a drinker basher.

Edit: attempt to fix language.
Last edited by r6_philly on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

The first two incidents were just getting caught with underage alcohol. The third is really the only serious one because he was being a dick in the hospital.

Getting a citation and have to go to judicial is not on the same level as being committed to a drunk tank at a hospital. He could be a slow learner and finally get the message and steer straight, or he could be a no learner forever - many people end up this way. I wish OP the best of luck, it's not a nice place to be.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Getting a citation and have to go to judicial is not on the same level as being committed to a drunk tank at a hospital. He could be a slow learner and finally get the message and steer straight, or he could be a no learner forever - many people end up this way. I wish OP the best of luck, it's not a nice place to be.

I'd argue his school judicial program is way less serious than being arrested.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:05 pm

He needs to just do what I do, chug whiskey on the couch by himself while watching re-runs of sliders. Then pass out in my own vomit and start again at seven am the next day.

adedabirdy

Postby adedabirdy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 pm

I agree with Desert Fox, I'm really glad ( and lucky) I didn't get arrested, I feel like a criminal record would be much worse, especially since my school only keeps records for 10 years ( but no, I don't plan on waiting 10 years to apply to law school).

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Well stop drinking til you have a shitshow. It's not fun for anyone involved.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Well stop drinking til you have a shitshow. It's not fun for anyone involved.

+1. OP, even setting aside the effects on your health and your law school chances, being around people like this is just not enjoyable.

Also, r6_philly is a turd sandwich.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Well stop drinking til you have a shitshow. It's not fun for anyone involved.

+1. OP, even setting aside the effects on your health and your law school chances, being around people like this is just not enjoyable.

If wanting people to take their lives seriously, be accountable for their actions, realizing their mistakes and learn from them without being punished or the threat to be punished means that, I will gladly be one.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:15 pm

OP what state you go to school in, I've been looking for someone on my level brah. Lets drink tonight.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Addressing this just from a strategic standpoint, i.e. how do you handle it with LS admissions.

1. You should definitely take 2 years off. Work history is valued by employers and it will give you the opportunity to show you've grown up.

2. Assuming you have no further issues, you should consider writing your essay on this issue and how it impacted you. If successfully done, such an essay defuses the entire issue.

3. A recommendation from you AA sponsor would certainly be good as well.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

If wanting people to take their lives seriously, be accountable for their actions, realizing their mistakes and learn from them without being punished or the threat to be punished means that, I will gladly be one.

I think you don't understand how minorly inebriated one can be to get shit at a conservative Jesuit school. If OP had been forcibly hospitalized by the police in these instances, I could agree with you, but you're willfuly ignoring a key part of the issue.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:31 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I think you don't understand how minorly inebriated one can be to get shit at a conservative Jesuit school. If OP had been forcibly hospitalized by the police in these instances, I could agree with you, but you're willfuly ignoring a key part of the issue.

I go to school near a Jesuit university and lived near a Jesuit university growing up and both get pretty wild. And both schools administrations are pretty lax. I'm not saying I know OP's school is like this, but in my experience with 3 different jesuit schools (I looked at attending another and spent a recruiting visit there) these schools aren't any tougher on drinking then your run of the mill state school.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I go to school near a Jesuit university and lived near a Jesuit university growing up and both get pretty wild. And both schools administrations are pretty lax. I'm not saying I know OP's school is like this, but in my experience with 3 different jesuit schools (I looked at attending another and spent a recruiting visit there) these schools aren't any tougher on drinking then your run of the mill state school.

The OP stated that his school requires hospitalization for *any* level of intoxication.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:42 pm

paratactical wrote:I think you don't understand how minorly inebriated one can be to get shit at a conservative Jesuit school. If OP had been forcibly hospitalized by the police in these instances, I could agree with you, but you're willfuly ignoring a key part of the issue.

Maybe not, but when someone's parents paid good money to send you to such a school, and you know you will get in a heap of trouble (maybe unnecessarily) for it, yet you still do it, and again, and again after getting caught and get in said heap of trouble, I am going to say you are not taking things seriously. And I can understand that because he had good grades...

I went to a school with a dry campus, I understand this. I always though people were stupid for trying to drink on campus. It has nothing to do with drinking, but everything to do with making wise decisions especially you know the risk/reward ahead of time.

Anyhow, I am old and a parent, so my take on this will most definitely be different. Wait until you have pre-teens/teens and see if you will take a stance like I do. Would OP's reaction be not different than mine?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:Wait until you have pre-teens/teens and see if you will take a stance like I do.

:roll:

Wow. You sure do sound so mature.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 pm

paratactical wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I go to school near a Jesuit university and lived near a Jesuit university growing up and both get pretty wild. And both schools administrations are pretty lax. I'm not saying I know OP's school is like this, but in my experience with 3 different jesuit schools (I looked at attending another and spent a recruiting visit there) these schools aren't any tougher on drinking then your run of the mill state school.

The OP stated that his school requires hospitalization for *any* level of intoxication.

I read it, i'm just skeptical about that statement. I've never heard of that at any school outside of Bob Jones or the like.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:46 pm

I agree with r6_philly.

In addition to looking out for your general well-being, though, you, OP, should also be concerned about admission to law school for the following reason:
While law schools may not care that you drink, they should care about how you drink. Concerns about admittance to the bar aside, law firms frequently serve alcohol during recruitment. It's part of the culture. While firms have cut recruiting budgets significantly in recent years, you will attend at least one event with seemingly unlimited free alcohol. Despite this, you will need to behave yourself. Your law school won't want to see your name (and theirs) on Above the Law for something idiotic you did while drunk.

Return to “What are my chances?”