I got suspended

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
abarrios

Re: I got suspended

Postby abarrios » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Lwoods wrote:
abarrios wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
abarrios wrote:R_6philly seems to be extremely out of touch with the world.

The sad thing is the opposite is true.

I have posted about who I am and what my life is about on this forum before, so feel free to search if you don't believe me.

Well then you seem to be having a lapse in rationality. I've read through this entire thread and nearly everything you have said is rediculous.

Having seen friends work through substance abuse issues, I happen to agree with r6_philly.

And did you really just type rediculous? If you're going to insult someone on a message board, you should probably check your spelling and grammar first.

:oops: whoops.

I'm not trying to insult him. He is being very unrealistic, though, and from my experience, most kids that have parents like him turn out fucked up.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:it's not just shit that's like i was having a good time getting shitfaced, it's i'm getting drunk to the point where i'm being destructive and getting hospitalized. there is a very crucial difference between the two.

No, there isn't.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 pm

paratactical wrote:
Lwoods wrote:Having seen friends work through substance abuse issues, I happen to agree with r6_philly.

And did you really just type rediculous? If you're going to insult someone on a message board, you should probably check your spelling and grammar first.

Wait, are you really trying to argue that you and philly are right because you've had friends with substance abuse issues? In terms of retarded shit people do online, you're beating out spelling it "rediculous".

Look, this is getting pointless now. You don't agree with me, I get it. You want to insult me online... that's super retarded.

Some people want to work in PI or in nonprofit, others want to make large sums of money. Most people work dedicate their lives to do better are generally viewed as "fools". It's ok, I'd rather be a "retard" who tried to steer someone else straight.

The life I came from is full of people who are incapable of making good/wise choices, so I feel that we need to hold everyone accountable and teach people to make better choices. If that makes a tool, retard, or even a turd sandwich, so be it. At least I am trying.

adedabirdy

Postby adedabirdy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Lwoods wrote:
abarrios wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
abarrios wrote:R_6philly seems to be extremely out of touch with the world.

The sad thing is the opposite is true.

I have posted about who I am and what my life is about on this forum before, so feel free to search if you don't believe me.

Well then you seem to be having a lapse in rationality. I've read through this entire thread and nearly everything you have said is rediculous.

Having seen friends work through substance abuse issues, I happen to agree with r6_philly.

Yea, wouldn't life be great if everyone was perfect and didn't make mistakes. Too bad we're not all saints.
PS this thread is getting ridiculous, all I wanted to know is if I still have a good chance of getting into law school if I keep my record clean for the next 2.5 years.
I wasn't asking if I had a drinking problem, or if alcohol was bad for me.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:18 pm

abarrios wrote:I'm not trying to insult him. He is being very unrealistic, though, and from my experience, most kids that have parents like him turn out fucked up.

Actually most kids that turn out "fucked up" don't have parents around to tell them anything. I live near around maybe 500k of them?

I think you are out of touch with the word. I think you don't understand what a "fucked up" person or life is.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Look, this is getting pointless now. You don't agree with me, I get it. You want to insult me online... that's super retarded.

Some people want to work in PI or in nonprofit, others want to make large sums of money. Most people work dedicate their lives to do better are generally viewed as "fools". It's ok, I'd rather be a "retard" who tried to steer someone else straight.

The life I came from is full of people who are incapable of making good/wise choices, so I feel that we need to hold everyone accountable and teach people to make better choices. If that makes a tool, retard, or even a turd sandwich, so be it. At least I am trying.

You're making a gross amount of assumptions.

1) I don't have any problem with PI or nonprofit or the like, as a general theory, so I don't understand wtf that has to do with anything.

2) The "At least I am trying" sounds a lot like "I'm also assuming everyone else isn't" which is where you com across as an enormous douchebag.

You're an asshat, or whatever other word you'd like to use, because you act as if you know what is best for everybody else and expect people to never break any rules, when it sounds like you've broken your fair share.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:21 pm

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:21 pm

adedabirdy wrote:Yea, wouldn't life be great if everyone was perfect and didn't make mistakes. Too bad we're not all saints.
PS this thread is getting ridiculous, all I wanted to know is if I still have a good chance of getting into law school if I keep my record clean for the next 2.5 years.
I wasn't asking if I had a drinking problem, or if alcohol was bad for me.

I apologize, all this arguing with me has nothing to do with your questions.

I am ok with you, I think if you learned the right lesson and move on, things will be good for you, you seem like a very capable person despite the issues.

I don't think you will have any problem getting into law school if you don't offend again.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm not that familiar with r6, so maybe I'm missing some bias that others have...but what's unreasonable about setting boundaries of behavior for people that you have a responsibility to care for? I'm a little confused.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:26 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

You're making a gross amount of assumptions.

1) I don't have any problem with PI or nonprofit or the like, as a general theory, so I don't understand wtf that has to do with anything.

2) The "At least I am trying" sounds a lot like "I'm also assuming everyone else isn't" which is where you com across as an enormous douchebag.

You're an asshat, or whatever other word you'd like to use, because you act as if you know what is best for everybody else and expect people to never break any rules, when it sounds like you've broken your fair share.

I didn't say I expect people to never break rules. I said I think people should never break any rules. I say it again want != expect.

If you want to accuse me of making assumptions, then why would you assume that "At least I am trying" sounds a lot like "I'm also assuming everyone else isn't"?

Lastly. why should I tell anyone what to do, if I don't believe it's the best thing for them? Why give advice you don't want to take yourself?

I mean, if I am wrong in what I say/do, then the result would be no one does anything to lead others to a better life because you may not know what's best for them.

You have to believe in your mission to be able to function as a public interest org. Regardless of what others think.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:28 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:I'm not that familiar with r6, so maybe I'm missing some bias that others have...but what's unreasonable about setting boundaries of behavior for people that you have a responsibility to care for? I'm a little confused.

I'm taking issue with the fact that r6 and others are treating this guy as if he were arrested and forcibly hospitalized by the police, which is not what happened, and taking issue with the idea that we must expect complete compliance to all rules from all children/teenagers. It's completely unrealistic and makes it seem like he's completely out of touch with the real world.

Those things coupled with his consistent ability to rephrase whatever someone else says to make his argument preferable and his general assumption that he knows all about all kinds of lifestyles because of whatever experience he has. I don't know that I've ever encountered him before, but he's coming across badly here.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:Some people want to work in PI or in nonprofit, others want to make large sums of money. Most people work dedicate their lives to do better are generally viewed as "fools". It's ok, I'd rather be a "retard" who tried to steer someone else straight.

I have no idea what you are talking about at this point. You have derailed.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:34 pm

r6_philly wrote: I said I think people should never break any rules. I say it again want != expect.

You really can't come up with a single scenario in your mind where it's the correct thing to do to break some rules? Really?

Paging Christine O'Donnell.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:35 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:I'm not that familiar with r6, so maybe I'm missing some bias that others have...but what's unreasonable about setting boundaries of behavior for people that you have a responsibility to care for? I'm a little confused.

No, I think we all agree that OP sounds like he acts pretty crazy when he drinks and needs to tone it down. My first few posts ITT were directed at that. I mean, we've all gotten drunk and done dumb stuff, but obviously breaking expensive medical equipment and going to the hospital twice is not normal. We're in agreement there.

But at the same time, r6 and a few others have gone way overboard in their characterization of this situation, and some of the things r6 has said have been downright zany.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
I didn't say I expect people to never break rules. I said I think people should never break any rules.

I hate this mentality. Do what the government says is good for you, or a school, or a parent, or whoever or whatever, just because that's the "rules", no matter how arbitrary or pointless.

No thanks.

ALSO... lololol at people saying this person needs AA. What is up with America's problem with alcohol? OMGZ a 17/18 year old college student drinks the liquorz?!?! But but... the government says he's not old enough, and his conservative prohibitionist school doesn't allow it, so he must have a substance abuse issue!!!11!

He went to the hospital, but let's ignore the fact that the school forces people who drink one beer to go!!! WOW he broke something? He has a DEFINITE problem, because drunk people never accidentally break things unless they are alcoholics. DUH.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I said I think people should never break any rules. I say it again want != expect.

You really can't come up with a single scenario in your mind where it's the correct thing to do to break some rules? Really?

The correct thing is to change the rule so everyone wouldn't be bind by a stupid rule, because the enforcement of a stupid rule would be different and some people will end up being discriminated/disadvantaged more than others.

I drive speed limit by the way, just to give you an example.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:

The correct thing is to change the rule so everyone wouldn't be bind by a stupid rule, because the enforcement of a stupid rule would be different and some people will end up being discriminated/disadvantaged more than others.

I drive speed limit by the way, just to give you an example.

I don't disagree that the ideal answer is to change a rule, but that's hardly feesible in every situation. Are you really telling me that there's no acceptable scenario that involves breaking rules?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 pm

OP, you have a drinking problem. hth

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 pm

WTH is going on here... This went downhill very fast

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 pm

minuit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I didn't say I expect people to never break rules. I said I think people should never break any rules.

I hate this mentality. Do what the government says is good for you, or a school, or a parent, or whoever or whatever, just because that's the "rules", no matter how arbitrary or pointless.

No thanks.

Well the government is a collection of democratic decisions. I mean people are not going to be happy with totalitarian government neither right? So anarchy is the answer?

So the foundation of a good stable democracy is the willingness to accept/abide by decisions made in the democratic process even when you don't agree with it. Look at Iraq and how pointless it is when people don't respect that.

Besides, what makes you (or me, or anyone) capable enough to judge what rule is pointless? To be able to claim something is pointless requires an overinflated ego like someone else suggests. A rule may be pointless to you, but could be essential for others.

adedabirdy

Postby adedabirdy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 pm

JazzOne wrote:OP, you have a drinking problem. hth

Really? I didn't notice.....

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Yale got it right.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:46 pm

paratactical wrote:
I don't disagree that the ideal answer is to change a rule, but that's hardly feesible in every situation. Are you really telling me that there's no acceptable scenario that involves breaking rules?

No I am not that idealistic. But I will also say that you should weigh the risk, reward and consequences before deciding to break rules, and also be accountable for the fact that you did break it, and accept the consequences gracefully.

See that's why we got off on the wrong foot... I was saying getting trouble with the school multiple times is not a wise decision because it is not an acceptable rule-breaking.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
minuit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

No thanks.

Well the government is a collection of democratic decisions. I mean people are not going to be happy with totalitarian government neither right? So anarchy is the answer?

So the foundation of a good stable democracy is the willingness to accept/abide by decisions made in the democratic process even when you don't agree with it. Look at Iraq and how pointless it is when people don't respect that.

Besides, what makes you (or me, or anyone) capable enough to judge what rule is pointless? To be able to claim something is pointless requires an overinflated ego like someone else suggests. A rule may be pointless to you, but could be essential for others.

You need to move beyond black and white thinking if you don't want to get exam pwnd in law school.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You need to move beyond black and white thinking if you don't want to get exam pwnd in law school.

There is a time and place for everything, this is one where I choose to use this kind of thinking.

Return to “What are my chances?”