I got suspended Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: I got suspended

Post by Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:35 am

tkgrrett wrote:
naterj wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: Dude you really have no idea what you are talking about..
Please explain.
These days underage drinking violations are not an accurate indicator of a future problem.. Many people(including administrators) are so locked into the "OMG drugs/alcohol will destroy the world" thinking that they are sending people to hospitals/addiction centers and writing underage drinking tickets for BACs of .02. Yeah the hospitalization looks bad but sometimes crap just happens.. it doesnt have to mean he is going to be a huge addict after college.

Regardless, I know that at least 2 of the top 14 disagrees with the evaluation that these underage drinking incidents indicate a huge risk to the university.
Dude if OP only had a few underage drinking tickets the likelihood of a substance abuse problem might be slight but OP has two hospitalizations already and he/she isn't even of legal drinking age.

I do not know OPs complete history or the circumstances surrounding those two incidents, but from the information at hand, I would say there are some major warning signs of substance abuse issues.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 am

quit being a drunken retard and you should be ok
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 am

adedabirdy wrote:I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.
Surprised no one has suggested that you go to a serious alcohol rehabilitation program. If you do the program and get a pass that you have dealt with your alcohol issues, schools may see it as past problem (you just need to avoid any future alcohol related incidents).

I would suggest this even if you don't feel you have a rehab worthy problem.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:38 am

The OP isnt asking you guys for treatment information.. they have professionals that do that. He/she is asking for information regarding law school admissions. This is the type of topic where you should be speaking from experience, or at least anecdotes, not just throwing your opinions around.

Fact of the matter is, stay out of trouble for the rest of undergrad and you will be fine..

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:39 am

tkgrrett wrote:Dude.. what I am saying is that if you are using what happens at ages 17-19 to evaluate the direction of lives then we might as well shut the world down now.. I did some pretty ridic stuff when I was 17-19 and now Im 22 and pretty lame
but, i mean, doesn't it -- usually?

speaking from experience, i drank a lot in college and now sometimes it's hard for me to get out of bed without hitting the bottle.

op, seek help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:40 am

I think getting treatment is precisely the right thing to do for LS admissions. It shows that you have dealt with a past problem and encourages them to overlook it being a problem in the future.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:41 am

bdubs wrote:
adedabirdy wrote:I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.
Surprised no one has suggested that you go to a serious alcohol rehabilitation program. If you do the program and get a pass that you have dealt with your alcohol issues, schools may see it as past problem (you just need to avoid any future alcohol related incidents).

I would suggest this even if you don't feel you have a rehab worthy problem.

I suggested it.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:51 am

tkgrrett wrote:The OP isnt asking you guys for treatment information.. they have professionals that do that. He/she is asking for information regarding law school admissions. This is the type of topic where you should be speaking from experience, or at least anecdotes, not just throwing your opinions around.

Fact of the matter is, stay out of trouble for the rest of undergrad and you will be fine..
tkgrrett wrote:Dude.. what I am saying is that if you are using what happens at ages 17-19 to evaluate the direction of lives then we might as well shut the world down now.. I did some pretty ridic stuff when I was 17-19 and now Im 22 and pretty lame
Yes. we're all throwing our opinions around in a forum full of opinions, in a thread that asked opinions on how he/she can get into law school. We're suggesting rehab or at least addressing a possible substance abuse problem.
I think what you're doing is worse by trivializing OPs behavior.
This is the type of topic where you should be speaking from experience, or at least anecdotes, not just throwing your opinions around.
How do you know the posters in this thread aren't speaking from experience?

afa_brandon

New

Post by afa_brandon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:41 am

as i see it, there are two possible scenarios here:

OP doesn't have a drinking problem, and has some really bad luck

or

OP has a drinking problem, but refuses to admit it, probably relying on feedback like "you're just 18 years old, kids make mistakes"

in my opinion, both warrant seeking help, esp. if law school is the goal. the reality is that, for most people, drinking to the point of incident is only cool when you're young... the older you get, the more you realize how bad it is, mainly because you've watched your friends with that 'one step too far' personality drop out, get arrested or die. i'm 26, and i've seen all three, so yeah, i take alcohol use to the point of hospitalization or suspension as pretty bad. how will adcomms older than i take it? maybe admission stats disagree with that notion, but there doesn't seem to be any risk to seeking help, esp. with all that free time OP has now.

besides the heightened illegality, if this was blow or x these warning signs wouldn't be ambiguous at all, why should they be for alcohol?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:47 am

I have communicated with OP about this situation and gave him the advice that has worked out for me so far this cycle. I have a situation very, very similar to the OP's and I am, so far, having a very successful cycle. These topics come up quite often on these forums so if anyone is in a situation similar to the OP feel free to PM me and I will give you the details of both my situation and my cycle.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:49 am

Drinking to the point of incident isn't cool at eighteen either. At least, not for the majority of people. There is only a small subsection of groups that think blacking out is cool. Not even most frat kids I know think that throwing up, blacking out, and ending up in the hospital is cool. But of course, some people do. I'm not talking about abstaining from drinking, simply not being an idiot and quitting after 8 beers.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:52 am

LOL at this thread. Go to rehab for Law School admissions. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahah

Stop drinking so very much, and don't get caught.

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:02 pm

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adedabirdy

New

Post by adedabirdy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:04 pm

I don't think going to the hospital for drinking is cool
And No, I don't know if I have bad luck, or have a drinking problem, but when I say I'm going to stop drinking, I'm serious . I just realized that it's ruining my future and not worth it.
I have been going to AA for about 3 wks ( the last incident occured about a month ago)
And btw, I go to a private jesuit university, so thier obviously strict on drinking, and they make everyone who is intoxicated go to the hospital, they say its for liability reasons....

I'm actually getting ready for an AA meeting right now as I write this haha
Last edited by adedabirdy on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:LOL at this thread. Go to rehab for Law School admissions. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahah

Stop drinking so very much, and don't get caught.
I'm getting the feeling from your lighthearted approach to such a serious subject that you were intoxicated while typing the quoted post. Have you considered taking a self-assessment? I've posted one here http://alcoholism.about.com/od/tests/a/ ... oholic.htm

I've also PMed you 25 reasons to get and stay sober. Feel free to respond with any questions you may have.

MVPson

New

Post by MVPson » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:12 pm

This isn't that bad. Just sounds like you're kind of an idiot, that's all. If you score high enough on the LSAT and maintain good grades, you'll get into the T10.

I speak from experience.

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:16 pm

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:17 pm

1: Take 2 years off.
2: Keep nose clean
3: Join AA
4: Write moving addenda about how you had these problems in the past and then you cleaned up your life
5: Apply to law school
6: ???
7: Profittt!!!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:19 pm

AA is a waste of time. It's religion based hocus pocus with a really terrible success rate.

Stop drinking. If you feel the urge to drink, check into a real rehab.

How often were you drinking OP? Every day? Every weekend?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:AA is a waste of time. It's religion based hocus pocus with a really terrible success rate.

The point is not that he does AA. Its that he does SOMETHING to demonstrate that he has taken responsibility and cleaned his shit up. AA is just an example.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:AA is a waste of time. It's religion based hocus pocus with a really terrible success rate.

The point is not that he does AA. Its that he does SOMETHING to demonstrate that he has taken responsibility and cleaned his shit up. AA is just an example.
Facking rehab for law school admissions is a huge waste of time. If he does rehab it must be because he thinks he needs help.

Law schools aren't nearly as picky about alcohol violations as some people on this thread are saying. If he keeps his nose clean for a couple years, he'll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Veyron wrote:

Exactly.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:30 pm

MVPson wrote:This isn't that bad. Just sounds like you're kind of an idiot, that's all.
This.

Seriously, I partied like a rockstar in undergrad and I still get wild in law school. The worst thing I ever did was scream "FIRE!" in a resident hall at like 3:00 in the morning and I had to meet with the resident hall coordinator and apologize. I can't even imagine how much of an idiot you'd have to be to get hospitalized twice for drinking.

Quit being a moron, keep your nose clean, and do well on the LSAT. You should be okay.

MVPson

New

Post by MVPson » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:31 pm

This is alcohol, not cocaine. Stop getting in trouble. Schools won't care.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Drinking to the point of incident isn't cool at eighteen either. At least, not for the majority of people. There is only a small subsection of groups that think blacking out is cool. Not even most frat kids I know think that throwing up, blacking out, and ending up in the hospital is cool. But of course, some people do. I'm not talking about abstaining from drinking, simply not being an idiot and quitting after 8 beers.
In all fairness, you go to a pretty lame ass undergrad for partying.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”