I got suspended

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
adedabirdy
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 am

I got suspended

Postby adedabirdy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:55 am

I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby ns77770 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:59 am

adedabirdy wrote:I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.


you're not getting charged with anything for breaking that $500 machine, as described in incident 3?

adedabirdy
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby adedabirdy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:02 am

ns77770 wrote:
adedabirdy wrote:I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.


you're not getting charged with anything for breaking that $500 machine, as described in incident 3?


Restitution of $575, but nothing criminal ( everything is handled by the Office of Student Conduct). I broke it on accident trying to resist.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby Rawlberto » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:10 am

adedabirdy wrote:I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.


You're going to get into a law school if you have a high GPA and high LSAT. The problem is that you will have to settle for a "lesser option" as schools are going to see you as a large risk. If your incidents had happened once, it would probably be overlooked. But you have a "repeated history" of trouble stemming from alcohol, and the repeated behavior is going to bite you in the ass. I had an acquittance in the same situation who got a 3.8 and a 168, and ended up at UA because his behavior was seen as a liability. He also entered the school under a probationary period, but not sure what that means.

adedabirdy
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby adedabirdy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:16 am

Rawlberto wrote:
adedabirdy wrote:I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.


You're going to get into a law school if you have a high GPA and high LSAT. The problem is that you will have to settle for a "lesser option" as schools are going to see you as a large risk. If your incidents had happened once, it would probably be overlooked. But you have a "repeated history" of trouble stemming from alcohol, and the repeated behavior is going to bite you in the ass. I had an acquittance in the same situation who got a 3.8 and a 168, and ended up at UA because his behavior was seen as a liability. He also entered the school under a probationary period, but not sure what that means.

Will they acknowledge the fact that I was pretty young when it happened? because I'll be 21/22 when I apply, and all those incidents occurred between the ages of 17 and 18.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:17 am

Some will hold it against you, some won't. The best you can do is apply broadly and see which ones do and which ones don't.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby Rawlberto » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:19 am

adedabirdy wrote:
Rawlberto wrote:
adedabirdy wrote:I really want to go to law school, I am a sophomore undergrad right now, but I recently got suspended ( for the upcoming Spring semester). I have a 3.88, and I'm planning on raising it, I got a 4.0 last semester and I'm planning on getting a 4.0 this semester. The problem is that I have an extensive student conduct disciplinary record, but I do not have a criminal record.
Freshman year:
Incident number one ( Age 17): Hospitalization due to intoxication, underage consumption, and possession of fake ID
I got 25 hours of community service, and University Probation for about 3 months, and $50 fine
Incident number two ( age 18): Possession of Alcohol
I got 20 hours of community service and a $50 fine
Sophomore year:
Incident number three ( Age 18): Hospitalization due to intoxication, Disruptive activity ( for trying to refuse/resist hospitalization), and property damage over $500 ( I broke some sort of medical equipment that they tried using on me, a pulse oximeter)
I got restitution for property damage, resident hall expulsion, and university suspension for a semester.

So, what are the chances that I get into law school, I know I screwed up, but I have a really high GPA and hopefully I'll do really good on the LSAT. I am going to steer away from alcohol, and avoid any future trouble. I also do a lot of volunteer work, and I am a part of many organizations and clubs at my school.


You're going to get into a law school if you have a high GPA and high LSAT. The problem is that you will have to settle for a "lesser option" as schools are going to see you as a large risk. If your incidents had happened once, it would probably be overlooked. But you have a "repeated history" of trouble stemming from alcohol, and the repeated behavior is going to bite you in the ass. I had an acquittance in the same situation who got a 3.8 and a 168, and ended up at UA because his behavior was seen as a liability. He also entered the school under a probationary period, but not sure what that means.

Will they acknowledge the fact that I was pretty young when it happened? because I'll be 21/22 when I apply, and all those incidents occurred between the ages of 17 and 18.


Nope. They are going to concerned about the fact that you have REPEATED problems with alcohol. Like I said, if it was once, they would toss it off as youth being youth. It has happened more than once, so it will help you. This doesn't mean you're going to get TTT, but my aforementioned friend had numbers for Penn. and ended up at UA.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:15 am

I remember when I had my first beer. :lol:

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:20 am

Rawlberto wrote:Nope. They are going to concerned about the fact that you have REPEATED problems with alcohol. Like I said, if it was once, they would toss it off as youth being youth. It has happened more than once, so it will help you. This doesn't mean you're going to get TTT, but my aforementioned friend had numbers for Penn. Cornell and ended up at UA.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby glewz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:33 am

no offense, really - i laughed out loud because this is kinda hilarious

you should be okay so long as you dont do anything dumb in jun/senr years. you might get knocked down a few schools, but you'll likely get top 10 if you score 170+.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:42 am

Boy oh boy, you've been jamming; my kind of guy. You got caught 3 times which means there were at least 176 other times you were wild, but didn't get caught. :mrgreen: Like the poster above said, just make sure you don't "get caught" again.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:53 am

You are looking at this all wrong. You got caught because you didnt drink enough, if you stop drinking worse things are in store for you.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:55 am

One problem here is that, when you actually apply to law school, you won't have two years of sobriety under your belt - you'll have one. Ordinarily I am not a huge 'take a year off and work' person, but working for a year or two as a paralegal or something would be pretty much all upside for you.

User avatar
Drummingreg
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby Drummingreg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:46 am

Damn, I hope they don't care. I want to have people like you in my class! Bar review is going to be boring as hell if everyone is the "oh, idk about taking shots...well what kind? hmmm...I don't realy like to get too drunk..." type.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:00 am

Speaking from current experience, I dont think it will hurt you as bad as you think. About to PM you.

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:06 am

haha, i love it, "i'm going to steer away from alcohol."

just make sure you don't steer right back. for example, next weekend.


i'm going to be the moral police and suggest some type of program a la AA. your incidents are getting progressively worse as you've gotten older. and it's not just shit that's like i was having a good time getting shitfaced, it's i'm getting drunk to the point where i'm being destructive and getting hospitalized. there is a very crucial difference between the two.

just wait until you start driving to bars.

or maybe you can just steer away. perhaps into a cop car?

User avatar
Drummingreg
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: I got suspended

Postby Drummingreg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:haha, i love it, "i'm going to steer away from alcohol."

just make sure you don't steer right back. for example, next weekend.


i'm going to be the moral police and suggest some type of program a la AA. your incidents are getting progressively worse as you've gotten older. and it's not just shit that's like i was having a good time getting shitfaced, it's i'm getting drunk to the point where i'm being destructive and getting hospitalized. there is a very crucial difference between the two.

just wait until you start driving to bars.

or maybe you can just steer away. perhaps into a cop car?

Show me on the doll where fun touched you...

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:14 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:haha, i love it, "i'm going to steer away from alcohol."

just make sure you don't steer right back. for example, next weekend.


i'm going to be the moral police and suggest some type of program a la AA. your incidents are getting progressively worse as you've gotten older. and it's not just shit that's like i was having a good time getting shitfaced, it's i'm getting drunk to the point where i'm being destructive and getting hospitalized. there is a very crucial difference between the two.

just wait until you start driving to bars.

or maybe you can just steer away. perhaps into a cop car?


Dude you really have no idea what you are talking about..

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:16 am

lol, kid's a tickin' time bomb, that's all i'm saying.


i'm just picturing him resisting the nurses like "I'm not drunk, I AM NOT DRUNK."

then passing out.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:18 am

tkgrrett wrote:Dude you really have no idea what you are talking about..

Please explain.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:26 am

naterj wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Dude you really have no idea what you are talking about..

Please explain.


These days underage drinking violations are not an accurate indicator of a future problem.. Many people(including administrators) are so locked into the "OMG drugs/alcohol will destroy the world" thinking that they are sending people to hospitals/addiction centers and writing underage drinking tickets for BACs of .02. Yeah the hospitalization looks bad but sometimes crap just happens.. it doesnt have to mean he is going to be a huge addict after college.

Regardless, I know that at least 2 of the top 14 disagrees with the evaluation that these underage drinking incidents indicate a huge risk to the university.

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:27 am

tkgrrett wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:haha, i love it, "i'm going to steer away from alcohol."

just make sure you don't steer right back. for example, next weekend.


i'm going to be the moral police and suggest some type of program a la AA. your incidents are getting progressively worse as you've gotten older. and it's not just shit that's like i was having a good time getting shitfaced, it's i'm getting drunk to the point where i'm being destructive and getting hospitalized. there is a very crucial difference between the two.

just wait until you start driving to bars.

or maybe you can just steer away. perhaps into a cop car?


Dude you really have no idea what you are talking about..


did his/her incidents not get progressively worse? isn't there a crucial difference between getting drunk and having a good time and getting drunk to the point that you're hospitalized? and the fact that he / she is 18-19 with already these citations under his / her belt could be a sign of things to come? so these things are not true, you're saying....

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:30 am

What I think you should do:

1. Join AA

2. Have your sponsor write one of your LORs

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 am

tkgrrett wrote:
naterj wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Dude you really have no idea what you are talking about..

Please explain.


These days underage drinking violations are not an accurate indicator of a future problem.. Many people(including administrators) are so locked into the "OMG drugs/alcohol will destroy the world" thinking that they are sending people to hospitals/addiction centers and writing underage drinking tickets for BACs of .02. Yeah the hospitalization looks bad but sometimes crap just happens.. it doesnt have to mean he is going to be a huge addict after college.

Regardless, I know that at least 2 of the top 14 disagrees with the evaluation that these underage drinking incidents indicate a huge risk to the university.



sure. but it's not just the violation in and of itself. it's the nature of the violation and what came with it, ie, the breaking of hospital equipment, the fact that he/she has been hospitalized three times in two years. i never said that drugs / alcohol will destroy the world. i went to a huge party school where people were beyond drunk on a Saturday morning and knew of no one who was hospitalized and cited three times.

"crap happening" connotes an accident. a history of hospitalization due to intoxication is not crap happening, is not an accident. it's a pattern. i don't think the op will be a huge addict after college, i think his / her behavior indicates that he may already be one.

that's my opinion.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: I got suspended

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:32 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:haha, i love it, "i'm going to steer away from alcohol."

just make sure you don't steer right back. for example, next weekend.


i'm going to be the moral police and suggest some type of program a la AA. your incidents are getting progressively worse as you've gotten older. and it's not just shit that's like i was having a good time getting shitfaced, it's i'm getting drunk to the point where i'm being destructive and getting hospitalized. there is a very crucial difference between the two.

just wait until you start driving to bars.

or maybe you can just steer away. perhaps into a cop car?


Dude you really have no idea what you are talking about..


did his/her incidents not get progressively worse? isn't there a crucial difference between getting drunk and having a good time and getting drunk to the point that you're hospitalized? and the fact that he / she is 18-19 with already these citations under his / her belt could be a sign of things to come? so these things are not true, you're saying....


Dude.. what I am saying is that if you are using what happens at ages 17-19 to evaluate the direction of lives then we might as well shut the world down now.. I did some pretty ridic stuff when I was 17-19 and now Im 22 and pretty lame.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: massappeal, neptunian and 6 guests