Applying ED to Columbia

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JoeShmoe11

Applying ED to Columbia

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Hello, world! I'm applying ED to Columbia come next month. I've got decent softs but nothing spectacular, some law experience, some volunteering, decent amount of work experience. I've currently got a 3.83GPA (3.79 LSDAS GPA). I PT'd in from 174-178 but I expect something more like a 170-172 on the real thing (one week 'til results!).

I'm not really asking my chances, I just couldn't figure out a better forum on which to post this. I'm more interested in how much of a leg up does applying ED really provide? I KNOW I want to go to Columbia and I KNOW I'd be happy there so I'll be doing ED either way. Just feeding my curiosity. Does anyone have any stats on Columbia's ED applicants? Tried looking online on Columbia's website and elsewhere but couldn't find anything. The Law School Calculator doesn't seem to adjust for ED very well even though it has the option. Thanks!

tourdeforcex

Re: Applying ED to Columbia

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:08 pm

i am replying because of your greeting of "hello, world"

have you ever coded before?

as for how much of a leg up applying ED really provides, it really depends on school, number of applicants in last cycle, ED applicants this cycle, high-level plans of development. i don't think this is something that one can find concrete information on unless you can find an aggregate data pool from columbia ED acceptances, denials, and waitlists. that said, i don't have stats on that.

i strongly believe there is significant advantage in applying Early. this admissions game is definitely a game with first mover advantage.

hope this helps.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:26 pm

No, I've never coded but I have a few friends who do so I am kind of familiar with the tradition amongst coders.

I appreciate the reply, it does seem to be a matter of applying early in this whole process. Looking at the numbers for last year's applicants it seems like applying early is the smart thing to do. When do most applications have to be in by?

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:15 pm

as a general rule of thumb, apply before Thanksgiving

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:17 am

columbia is notoriously slow with their RD applications, so no rush there

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ - you can see who applied ED

CLS barely gives a boost for ED. If your numbers are borderline and you're set on it, then I'd do it... but if you do better than expected, I might hold out for RD and a chance for scholarship $$$

Return to “What are my chances?”