A (Slightly) Unique Situation

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PinkCow

A (Slightly) Unique Situation

Postby PinkCow » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Last edited by PinkCow on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: A (Slightly) Unique Situation

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Curious as to how the DOD medical exam missed your medical/physical problems ? As for your chances, in one week you should have an actual LSAT score.
P.S. Most cadets have a three month adjustment period to the altitude.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm

chip3341 wrote:Alright so I've been lurking on this board long enough - I think it's about time I get all of your thoughts on my situation:

I started my formal undergrad time at the US Air Force Academy (a very selective, non-ivy school), during which time I discovered a lot of medical/physical problems that negatively impacted the time I had to spend on academics and, thus, my GPA (~2.36 for the one year I was there).

After transferring, I am now a senior with a 3.56 Cum. GPA from a state school with a triple major in Pol Sci., Phil., and Math, and a double minor in Physics and International Studies, with decent softs. Every semester but the two at USAFA were 3.85-4.0 GPA.

Concerning the LSAT, I have yet to receive my October LSAT scores, but I took approximately 40 practice tests, and I consistently averaged in the mid-high 170s. During the actual test, nerves may have gotten the best of me, however, so I'm thinking my score could have been as low as 168. (I really can't imagine much lower).

So, I guess my long-winded question is, with my worst-case 168 and a 3.56, what are my chances? I know the quantitative stats, but I was just curious if, due to the extreme discrepancy between my first year and all other years (including dual enrollment), would schools look more favorably on my relatively low GPA?

My dream school is Cornell, for many reasons, but I'm also planning on applying to U Washington, Penn, Michigan, and possibly Berkley (provided my score is better than 168).

Also, given my school preferences, would I be better off applying ED/EA with a (projected) low score like 168 or applying in December after retaking?

Thanks for your help.

If you ED Cornell you might have some shot depending on your addenda.

Destined

Postby Destined » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Curious as to how the DOD medical exam missed your medical/physical problems ? As for your chances, in one week you should have an actual LSAT score.

Happens all the time. Had two friends (both at Air Force Academy) have to transfer for same reason; one with epilepsy and another w/ some heart thing

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Last edited by PinkCow on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Veyron wrote:
chip3341 wrote:Alright so I've been lurking on this board long enough - I think it's about time I get all of your thoughts on my situation:

I started my formal undergrad time at the US Air Force Academy (a very selective, non-ivy school), during which time I discovered a lot of medical/physical problems that negatively impacted the time I had to spend on academics and, thus, my GPA (~2.36 for the one year I was there).

After transferring, I am now a senior with a 3.56 Cum. GPA from a state school with a triple major in Pol Sci., Phil., and Math, and a double minor in Physics and International Studies, with decent softs. Every semester but the two at USAFA were 3.85-4.0 GPA.

Concerning the LSAT, I have yet to receive my October LSAT scores, but I took approximately 40 practice tests, and I consistently averaged in the mid-high 170s. During the actual test, nerves may have gotten the best of me, however, so I'm thinking my score could have been as low as 168. (I really can't imagine much lower).

So, I guess my long-winded question is, with my worst-case 168 and a 3.56, what are my chances? I know the quantitative stats, but I was just curious if, due to the extreme discrepancy between my first year and all other years (including dual enrollment), would schools look more favorably on my relatively low GPA?

My dream school is Cornell, for many reasons, but I'm also planning on applying to U Washington, Penn, Michigan, and possibly Berkley (provided my score is better than 168).

Also, given my school preferences, would I be better off applying ED/EA with a (projected) low score like 168 or applying in December after retaking?

Thanks for your help.

If Cornell had an ED program...

They have EA, but it appears to be basically a promise they'll get your decision back in early December.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 pm

RPK34 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Thanks for your help.

If Cornell had an ED program...

They have EA, but it appears to be basically a promise they'll get your decision back in early December.

Meh, still shows interest.

Return to “What are my chances?”