Nontraditional Applicant Question

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Should I apply EA or wait?

EA
75%
Wait
25%

Total votes: 8

ItsMyTimeBoston

Nontraditional Applicant Question

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by ItsMyTimeBoston on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Re: Nontraditional Applicant Question

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 pm

It might be wise to hold off until next cycle. A 2.51 is hard to overcome, but certainly less difficult than a 2.36. You will also need every LSAT point you can get. With your present goals, I would recommend retaking. Northeastern and UConn are not uncompetitive schools. Even with a 165, you would only have a marginal shot.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Do everything you can to raise your GPA above 3.0, even if it means taking another year of classes.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:45 am

im_blue wrote:Do everything you can to raise your GPA above 3.0, even if it means taking another year of classes.

Even if I take another year of classes (I can reasonably complete 24 credits with good grades), my GPA will still be below a 3.0.

If I apply this year, and if I score above a 160 on the LSAT, I would have to imagine I have a decent chance at Suffolk PT. I can keep my current job for a year, they will pay part of the tuition and I won't have to take out loans to live on, and then transfer out or into the day program.

Thoughts after hearing that?

Balliol2012

Postby Balliol2012 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:51 am

As a Boston resident, I personally advise you to skip Suffolk law and most of the other school you mentioned, or all of them. I don't think that doing that will lead you to a rewarding career, and I think you will regret it unless you have political connections. I advise taking the civil service exam for the BPD or the BFD. Those jobs will pay a lot more than your average job coming out of Suffolk or those other schools, and you won't have the debt. If you are doing well in school at an Ivy, you can probably crush the civil service exam and then rise quickly through the ranks of a gov't agency by taking promotion exams. Not to be a dick and discourage you from your stated goal, just some friendly advice. Honestly, I think the fact is that you dug yourself into too deep a hole with your GPA to realistically think about law school as a good option. But if you have political connections, then that's different. We all know half of MA politicians got their degree at Suffolk nights. If that's the case, go for it.

Balliol2012

Postby Balliol2012 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 am

But actually hearing that your job will pay for Suffolk nights, it seems like you might already have a job in the MA gov't. In that case sorry for wasting your time, you probably know exactly what you are doing.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:18 pm

With your current numbers, you have a decent shot at Suffolk PT. But as Ballio2012 said, unless you have strong connections, getting a job out of Suffolk will be difficult in this economy. If a law degree is what you really want, and Suffolk is your only way to get it, then go for it--just know the risks.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Thank you.

I work the legal dept. of a large Boston company.

Yeah, I am well aware of how hard it is coming out of law school in this economy, especially Suffolk and the schools I am applying to. I am also aware that if I do want to go to law school with my stats, my options are increadibly limited.

I know students at BC and BU who are getting ready to graduate in the top half of their class who have nothing.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:22 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:I know students at BC and BU who are getting ready to graduate in the top half of their class who have nothing.

Which is why going to BC or BU isn't a great idea either.
You should have around 112 units now. Including your grades this semester and IF you take 12 units each for 3 more semesters (adding a year of undergrad) and get all As your GPA should be around 2.85.

So if you CAN increase your LSAT to something above 170, stay another year, retake the LSAT and apply to NU.

This would be your best shot at something decent.

Also, if you're considering Suffolk, read Third Tier Reality.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks for your post Hattori Hanzo. I appreciate your input.

Honestly, I'm pretty well researched when it comes to law schools and outcomes by school in terms of ranking, location, etc.

Unfortunately, I have completed 165 credits up to now, so overcoming my low GPA is a feat I'm not willing to stay in school for two plus years to do. I have created spreadsheets and the like to try to determine what I could reasonably obtain by doing what.

Given that, I understand my reality and my question is should I apply EA to those schools with a note asking them to hold my application until mid-January if seeing my fall grades would benefit me, or if I should just wait until mid-January to apply?

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 pm

I would suggest EDing to your favorite, as most schools will only allow you to ED to them.

That aside, I would suggest an academic addendum. I think if you explain why you got low grades from 18-24 they will understand. It has been six years, so they may give your GPA's influence from then, and look at you as being on an upward trend.

I had a similar problem- I failed a semester and a half due to some pretty extreme issues, and my advisor suggested an addendum just to explain what happened. Given the passage of time, and an upward trend in grades (especially in your case since it has been six years), I'd be surprised if the addcoms still held it against you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:21 pm

DO NOT go to law school unless your old firm will take you back as an attorney.

Return to “What are my chances?”