Another splitter

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gsenator

Re: Another splitter

Postby gsenator » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:50 pm

well upon graduating, if I keep working my tail off, I have calculated the best I can do from my school is a 3.55 GPA. ( If it is a cumulative). Is it even worth it for me to try and do well on the LSAT and go to law school at that point? Even if I got a 175+ on my LSAT according to the calculator over at http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=170&gpa=3. ... o&range=no my chances are really low.Would it be worth it for me to just do another 2 years at school to try and bolster my GPA?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:37 pm

gsenator wrote:well upon graduating, if I keep working my tail off, I have calculated the best I can do from my school is a 3.55 GPA. ( If it is a cumulative). Is it even worth it for me to try and do well on the LSAT and go to law school at that point? Even if I got a 175+ on my LSAT according to the calculator over at http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=170&gpa=3. ... o&range=no my chances are really low.Would it be worth it for me to just do another 2 years at school to try and bolster my GPA?

With a 3.55 / 175+ you'll likely get into at least one of CCN and definitely several T14s. However, if you want to shoot for HYS you'll need a 3.7-3.8 GPA.

achilles

Postby achilles » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
gsenator wrote:Hi guys. I am sorry to take this thread on a tangent, but they are not allowing us to make new posts at this time. I had a few questions to ask the OP and the ones helping him out. My first question is what "ED" or "EA" means ( I sort of assumed EA meant early admissions). My second question is in regards to how the GPA's are counted. Currently I go to Chapman University College ( same certification, just online), and my GPA from that school is a 4.0. But I didn't do so hot during my general ed at community college, in which I had around a 3.1 gpa. Combined I am looking at a cumulative score of 3.5 My question is whether or not Law schools are only going to look at my GPA for my upper division major work at Chapman, or if they are going to lump my whole academic career into one category and judge my GPA off of that figure. Can anyone please help me, nobody seems to know the answer at my college's law office.

ED = Early Decision. This is binding where you get a decision back early but you have to attend if admitted.
EA = Early action. This is often non-binding where they just promise to get you a decision back earlier than normal but you can attend wherever you like.
GPA = They are going to look at your LSDAS GPA which will contain both your GPA's.

That isn't necessarily true. Texas has nonbinding ED, so it is essentially the same as your description of EA. So check whether it says binding or non-binding to be sure

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:49 pm

achilles wrote:That isn't necessarily true. Texas has nonbinding ED, so it is essentially the same as your description of EA. So check whether it says binding or non-binding to be sure

I should have added that caveat. Also, EA's (as in nonbinding early programs) are very few and far between.

gsenator

Postby gsenator » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:28 pm

im_blue wrote:With a 3.55 / 175+ you'll likely get into at least one of CCN and definitely several T14s. However, if you want to shoot for HYS you'll need a 3.7-3.8 GPA.

Hey, what exactly is a "CCN" or a T14, or HYS? [EDIT] Nevermind, google is your friend :-)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:05 am

gsenator wrote:
im_blue wrote:With a 3.55 / 175+ you'll likely get into at least one of CCN and definitely several T14s. However, if you want to shoot for HYS you'll need a 3.7-3.8 GPA.

Hey, what exactly is a "CCN" or a T14, or HYS? [EDIT] Nevermind, google is your friend :-)

HYS = Harvard, Yale, Stanford = Top 3 (best job prospects)
CCN = Columbia, Chicago, NYU = Top 6 (best after HYS)
T14 = other schools ranked in top 14

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:16 pm

lot of hypotheticals here. If you stay 2 more years. If you get a 175+ on the LSAT. The LSAT doesnt just hand out 175s like candy, you cant seriously PLAN on scoring that high. Take a bunch of PTs and get back to us.

Return to “What are my chances?”