Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jamiLAW

Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby jamiLAW » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Ok so I'm getting ready to apply, here are my top 5:

1. Berkeley
2. Cornell
3. Duke
4. Georgetown
5. UVA

Neither of my top 2 have ED, but I feel like it would be a waste not to ED anywhere. If I got accepted ED to, say, Duke, then found out I got into Berkeley, what would be the consequences of withdrawing from Duke and breaking the ED agreement?

Any advice would be awesome!

Mike12188

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby Mike12188 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 pm

jamiLAW wrote:what would be the consequences of withdrawing from Duke and breaking the ED agreement?

Death. Don't do it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 pm

All the schools in the T14 only offer ED, which is binding. You can't "break" the agreement. You agree to withdraw all other applications and attend that school, or you withdraw completely.

It's very clearly spelled out by the schools. How do you expect to succeed as a lawyer if you don't actually read things?

biladtreasure2

Postby biladtreasure2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:34 pm

An ED is legally binding, and you will have to sign a form acknowledging this. They can potentially sue you; and what are the odds that a law school would win a lawsuit? I don't know, but I probably wouldn't ED unless I would be happy (not just content) giving up admission at other schools.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:37 pm

-First of all, it's impossible to give you advice on where to ED w/out your numbers

-Second, it's not a waste to not ED. Too many people think they have to ED. The only way you should ED is if it's your first choice school you're going to ED to, if you are likely to be WL/denied without EDing, and you don't care that much about financial aid. It is clear that you do not meet this first criteria. I don't think you should ED.

-Third, DO NOT ED with the expectation that you can break your ED terms. This is serious. A guy on LSN last year didn't withdraw from other schools after his ED school accepted him and all of the law schools he applied to found out and auto-rejected him. Even schools that had already accepted him (including Columbia, UCLA, ect.) changed their decision to reject b.c. they found out about this. At the end of the cycle he was left with only one option- Chapman, despite having Columbia numbers. I've heard this happening to other people and it could happen to you.

P.S. Anyone have a link to that lsn profile?

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:40 pm

kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED, which is binding. You can't "break" the agreement. You agree to withdraw all other applications and attend that school, or you withdraw completely.

It's very clearly spelled out by the schools. How do you expect to succeed as a lawyer if you don't actually read things?

Lol thanks for the early law lesson, but if you had read what I wrote, you'd know that I'm aware it is binding but asking if they actually pursue people who break the agreement.

But now that I know they can potentially sue me I obviously won't do ED.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:43 pm

kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED

Except Cornell. Cornell has non-binding Early Action.

jamiLAW wrote: If I got accepted ED to, say, Duke, then found out I got into Berkeley, what would be the consequences of withdrawing from Duke and breaking the ED agreement?

Your admission to Berkeley would be retracted. Your first choice doesn't have ED? Then either change your first choice or don't ED. Period.

dccoope

Postby dccoope » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:45 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:-First of all, it's impossible to give you advice on where to ED w/out your numbers

-Second, it's not a waste to not ED. Too many people think they have to ED. The only way you should ED is if it's your first choice school you're going to ED to, if you are likely to be WL/denied without EDing, and you don't care that much about financial aid. It is clear that you do not meet this first criteria. I don't think you should ED.

-Third, DO NOT ED with the expectation that you can break your ED terms. This is serious. A guy on LSN last year didn't withdraw from other schools after his ED school accepted him and all of the law schools he applied to found out and auto-rejected him. Even schools that had already accepted him (including Columbia, UCLA, ect.) changed their decision to reject b.c. they found out about this. At the end of the cycle he was left with only one option- Chapman, despite having Columbia numbers. I've heard this happening to other people and it could happen to you.

P.S. Anyone have a link to that lsn profile?

Just found it: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Bumi wrote:

Bah. I knew that didn't sound right. Thanks.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:43 pm

jamiLAW wrote:
kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED, which is binding. You can't "break" the agreement. You agree to withdraw all other applications and attend that school, or you withdraw completely.

Lol thanks for the early law lesson, but if you had read what I wrote, you'd know that I'm aware it is binding but asking if they actually pursue people who break the agreement.

But now that I know they can potentially sue me I obviously won't do ED.

They won't sue you, but they'll just tell every other law school which will withdraw their offers of admission, leaving you SOL.

trutherd

Postby trutherd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Still not right. Four schools have no early option (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:33 pm

trutherd wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Still not right. Four schools have no early option (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley).

I didn't say they all offered ED. Only that ED was the only available option.

Return to “What are my chances?”