Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jamiLAW
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby jamiLAW » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Ok so I'm getting ready to apply, here are my top 5:

1. Berkeley
2. Cornell
3. Duke
4. Georgetown
5. UVA

Neither of my top 2 have ED, but I feel like it would be a waste not to ED anywhere. If I got accepted ED to, say, Duke, then found out I got into Berkeley, what would be the consequences of withdrawing from Duke and breaking the ED agreement?

Any advice would be awesome!

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby Mike12188 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 pm

jamiLAW wrote:what would be the consequences of withdrawing from Duke and breaking the ED agreement?


Death. Don't do it.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 pm

All the schools in the T14 only offer ED, which is binding. You can't "break" the agreement. You agree to withdraw all other applications and attend that school, or you withdraw completely.

It's very clearly spelled out by the schools. How do you expect to succeed as a lawyer if you don't actually read things?

biladtreasure2
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby biladtreasure2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:34 pm

An ED is legally binding, and you will have to sign a form acknowledging this. They can potentially sue you; and what are the odds that a law school would win a lawsuit? I don't know, but I probably wouldn't ED unless I would be happy (not just content) giving up admission at other schools.

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby cinefile 17 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:37 pm

-First of all, it's impossible to give you advice on where to ED w/out your numbers

-Second, it's not a waste to not ED. Too many people think they have to ED. The only way you should ED is if it's your first choice school you're going to ED to, if you are likely to be WL/denied without EDing, and you don't care that much about financial aid. It is clear that you do not meet this first criteria. I don't think you should ED.

-Third, DO NOT ED with the expectation that you can break your ED terms. This is serious. A guy on LSN last year didn't withdraw from other schools after his ED school accepted him and all of the law schools he applied to found out and auto-rejected him. Even schools that had already accepted him (including Columbia, UCLA, ect.) changed their decision to reject b.c. they found out about this. At the end of the cycle he was left with only one option- Chapman, despite having Columbia numbers. I've heard this happening to other people and it could happen to you.

P.S. Anyone have a link to that lsn profile?

jamiLAW
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby jamiLAW » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:40 pm

kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED, which is binding. You can't "break" the agreement. You agree to withdraw all other applications and attend that school, or you withdraw completely.

It's very clearly spelled out by the schools. How do you expect to succeed as a lawyer if you don't actually read things?


Lol thanks for the early law lesson, but if you had read what I wrote, you'd know that I'm aware it is binding but asking if they actually pursue people who break the agreement.

But now that I know they can potentially sue me I obviously won't do ED.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby Bumi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:43 pm

kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED


Except Cornell. Cornell has non-binding Early Action.

jamiLAW wrote: If I got accepted ED to, say, Duke, then found out I got into Berkeley, what would be the consequences of withdrawing from Duke and breaking the ED agreement?


Your admission to Berkeley would be retracted. Your first choice doesn't have ED? Then either change your first choice or don't ED. Period.

dccoope
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:53 am

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby dccoope » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:45 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:-First of all, it's impossible to give you advice on where to ED w/out your numbers

-Second, it's not a waste to not ED. Too many people think they have to ED. The only way you should ED is if it's your first choice school you're going to ED to, if you are likely to be WL/denied without EDing, and you don't care that much about financial aid. It is clear that you do not meet this first criteria. I don't think you should ED.

-Third, DO NOT ED with the expectation that you can break your ED terms. This is serious. A guy on LSN last year didn't withdraw from other schools after his ED school accepted him and all of the law schools he applied to found out and auto-rejected him. Even schools that had already accepted him (including Columbia, UCLA, ect.) changed their decision to reject b.c. they found out about this. At the end of the cycle he was left with only one option- Chapman, despite having Columbia numbers. I've heard this happening to other people and it could happen to you.

P.S. Anyone have a link to that lsn profile?


Just found it: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Bumi wrote:
kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED


Except Cornell. Cornell has non-binding Early Action.



Bah. I knew that didn't sound right. Thanks.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby im_blue » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:43 pm

jamiLAW wrote:
kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED, which is binding. You can't "break" the agreement. You agree to withdraw all other applications and attend that school, or you withdraw completely.

It's very clearly spelled out by the schools. How do you expect to succeed as a lawyer if you don't actually read things?


Lol thanks for the early law lesson, but if you had read what I wrote, you'd know that I'm aware it is binding but asking if they actually pursue people who break the agreement.

But now that I know they can potentially sue me I obviously won't do ED.

They won't sue you, but they'll just tell every other law school which will withdraw their offers of admission, leaving you SOL.

trutherd
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 am

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby trutherd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
Bumi wrote:
kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED


Except Cornell. Cornell has non-binding Early Action.



Bah. I knew that didn't sound right. Thanks.


Still not right. Four schools have no early option (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Early decision dilemma - advice needed!

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:33 pm

trutherd wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Bumi wrote:
kalvano wrote:All the schools in the T14 only offer ED


Except Cornell. Cornell has non-binding Early Action.



Bah. I knew that didn't sound right. Thanks.


Still not right. Four schools have no early option (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley).



I didn't say they all offered ED. Only that ED was the only available option.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests