.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jen Loblaw
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

.

Postby Jen Loblaw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:54 pm

.
Last edited by Jen Loblaw on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Where is your engineering degree from? No reasonable person would trade a good engineering job for the lottery which is legal employment, unless the school is not well regarded in engineering.

With that GPA, you need a retake. Get above a 170, and everything except HYS and CCN is converging on a lock. Do it.

Jen Loblaw
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Jen Loblaw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Engineering degree from a small state college where I could get a decent job, but discovered I would much rather go into patents than engineering. And I don't have time to retake unless I want to submit applications super late, right?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:04 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Where is your engineering degree from? No reasonable person would trade a good engineering job for the lottery which is legal employment, unless the school is not well regarded in engineering.

With that GPA, you need a retake. Get above a 170, and everything except HYS and CCN is converging on a lock. Do it.


The world is a big place.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby bigben » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Ouch. This is painful. 3.95 in engineering is quite an accomplishment from what I understand, but I think 166 is a death knell for t14.

I don't really know though, obv check lawschoolnumbers.com

Also obvs, retake if you think you can get any higher.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:Engineering degree from a small state college where I could get a decent job, but discovered I would much rather go into patents than engineering. And I don't have time to retake unless I want to submit applications super late, right?


I think you have a decent shot at your lower choices anyway, so you can submit those. You stand a much better chance at T14 with a higher LSAT. Dec. isn't super late. If you get a 170 you should at least get 1 or 2 T14, more if you wait on the WL. I got Mich out right last year with a Feb 170/3.88, with a bit of $$ too. But if you want chance at big money, you would have to retake and reapply.

I would just apply to your targets now, then retake, and apply higher with your Dec score if you do better. Your chance is not good with a 166 at the higher scores, it would be much better wait and have a higher score than submitting earlier.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby bigben » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:Engineering degree from a small state college where I could get a decent job, but discovered I would much rather go into patents than engineering. And I don't have time to retake unless I want to submit applications super late, right?

I'm not an expert on this but I think retaking in Dec is a viable option and you can even apply before and just tell the school your are retaking. Alternatively you can just apply in January, this is what I did and I don't think it matters much.

If you really think you can do better, it is worth putting off law school for a year just to retake. Even if you want to go to a school that you would have been able to get in anyway, they will give you a lot more scholarship money.

Working before law school is a huge plus to legal employers so I would consider working as an engineer first.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby GeePee » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm gonna go with the stock answer of ED to UVA.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:18 pm

GeePee wrote:I'm gonna go with the stock answer of ED to UVA.


You're forgetting the other stock answer: retake.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:26 pm

You have a shot at Berkeley, Penn, Virginia, and Cornell, as all of these schools have 25th percentiles of 166 or lower. If you retake and hit 168-169, you have a shot at CCN, and Stanford is possible with a 170.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:21 pm

bk1 wrote:
GeePee wrote:I'm gonna go with the stock answer of ED to UVA.


You're forgetting the other stock answer: retake.


And the other stock answer, killself.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:21 pm

But seriously OP, I'd retake and apply in Dec. if possible.

Jen Loblaw
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Jen Loblaw » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:22 pm

If I can't retake in December (my really good friend is getting married that day, and I already dropped way too much money on a bridesmaid dress), would it be useful at all to retake in February?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:If I can't retake in December (my really good friend is getting married that day, and I already dropped way too much money on a bridesmaid dress), would it be useful at all to retake in February?


Probably not. You'd be better served by waiting a year than applying with a Feb. retake.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:51 pm

bk1 wrote:
GeePee wrote:I'm gonna go with the stock answer of ED to UVA.


You're forgetting the other stock answer: retake.


Yea I'd retake.

If not, I'd see how much money a T50 would hand out. There is probably a full ride somewhere. And for someone with these numbers, it's probably the best choice.

If it's t14 or bust, I'd suggest EDing to Michigan, UVA, or Georgetown. Northwestern maybe if OP has W/E. Might even get into NU without W/E because engineers are easy to place in firms.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby thexfactor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:50 pm

check out vandy. You will prob get in. You will get into WUSTL with scholarship.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Hello, welcome to CORNELL, where we train LAWYERS IN THE BEST SENSE!

Jen Loblaw
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Jen Loblaw » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Yeah, def kicking myself for not retaking in Oct.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Veyron wrote:Hello, welcome to CORNELL, where we train LAWYERS IN THE BEST SENSE!


And what's wrong with Cornell?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:Yeah, def kicking myself for not retaking in Oct.


There's still December... and February, June, September, December, February, the list goes on.

Jen Loblaw
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Jen Loblaw » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
Jen Loblaw wrote:Yeah, def kicking myself for not retaking in Oct.


There's still December... and February, June, September, December, February, the list goes on.


Can't make the December test... so I guess I'll just see how this cycle turns out to see if I want to retake and wait a year

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:Hello, welcome to CORNELL, where we train LAWYERS IN THE BEST SENSE!


And what's wrong with Cornell?


I see you are attending a "Tier 1 Public." Is Ithaca gorges this time of year?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 pm

.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:Hello, welcome to CORNELL, where we train LAWYERS IN THE BEST SENSE!


And what's wrong with Cornell?


I see you are attending a "Tier 1 Public." Is Ithaca gorges this time of year?

It's prettier than Penn.[/quote]

Ah, but I wore a short sleeved shirt today! (I'm also marginally more employable).
Last edited by Veyron on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.95/166 Engineering Major

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Veyron wrote:HeavenWood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Hello, welcome to CORNELL, where we train LAWYERS IN THE BEST SENSE!


And what's wrong with Cornell?


I see you are attending a "Tier 1 Public." Is Ithaca gorges this time of year?

It's prettier than Penn.


Ah, but I wore a short sleeved shirt today! I'm also employable.[/quote]

So are Cornell grads. Get over yourself.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests