3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:20 pm

I've been out of school 6 years with some pretty solid business experience moving up a company into management and then starting my own marketing business.

Was married and worked all through college. Actually JUST finished college (had 6 credit hours left after I took my job in 2003) and have a 3.75 for my final 6 courses.

My brother just started at Michigan and I was considering ED'ing there. Any suggestions? What are my chances? I also retook the LSAT last week and expect a higher score than 170, but lets not worry about that for now-

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:24 pm

6 years WE will be solid. Not sure higher LSAT score will really help that much, unless you're gunning for T6 in which case you're a longshot since they tend to frown on low GPAs.

You'd have a fairly strong chance at Michigan if you were to ED now. Possibly a bit stronger at NU, since NU very strongly favors work experience. But if your heart is set on Michigan, then EDing there makes sense. You're not too likely to get scholarship $$ if you RD, and EDing would increase your odds.

Of course, a higher LSAT score might increase odds of $$$ at lower T14 if you get accepted, but it's hard to say by much.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks van! For the record, my 170 lsat was the result of a boneheaded bubbling mistake that cost me 4 pts. My hope is I have a 175ish sitting in LSAC's hands right now and that might make all the difference. But your comments provide me with a lot of hope!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Thanks van! For the record, my 170 lsat was the result of a boneheaded bubbling mistake that cost me 4 pts. My hope is I have a 175ish sitting in LSAC's hands right now and that might make all the difference. But your comments provide me with a lot of hope!

Well, a 175-range LSAT + WE + well-written PS could probably get you into lower T14s with $$$; the risk is, you're not sure which ones. But RD is not a terrible option if you can hit that high. Those 5 points make a huge difference.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:41 pm

I would bet NU is your best bet.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:44 pm

Van- you are a UVA guy right? Charlottsville was actually the first place my wife and I checked out, but it was in the middle of summer. Everything I had read made me really like this school, but when we were there charlottsville just seemed to suck. The law school was far away from anything and things seemed kind of run-down and old outside of campus. GRANTED this is only on a few hours of unguided discovery (basically around campus, law/business school and a chipotle near a grocery store).

On the contrary, I went to Ann Arbor and absolutely loved it. Keep in mind, the wife and I are midwesterners by nature so that likely had something to do with it. ANYWAY, is there anything I can be looking at about actual Charlottsville, or anything I can show my wife that might change our mind about the town? For us, we have two small kids so that is always a central concern.

I know my score isn't by any means high quality for UVA, but that was ORIGINALLY my first choice for ED.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I would bet NU is your best bet.


Michigan, UVa, NU and Gtown are all good bets.

If OP wants UVA, he can easily get it via ED.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I would bet NU is your best bet.


Michigan, UVa, NU and Gtown are all good bets.

If OP wants UVA, he can easily get it via ED.


Do you think the chances are much higher at UVA over Michigan because of YP?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I would bet NU is your best bet.


Michigan, UVa, NU and Gtown are all good bets.

If OP wants UVA, he can easily get it via ED.


Do you think the chances are much higher at UVA over Michigan because of YP?


UVA whores itself out for ED applicants. Michigan, there just isn't as much data about. They have a weird requirement for Summer start.

I have a feeling you might get Michigan if you applied ED, but I can't promise it. UVa is more a sure thing.

If you really prefer Michigan, apply ED there. You'll likely get Northwestern and Gulc even without ED, and there is really no difference between UVA and Northwestern in school quality. And if you've been working for 6 years, you may prefer NU or Gtown to living in a fratty atmosphere in UVa.

1Levening2013
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby 1Levening2013 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:02 pm

excuse my ignorance, but are you guys placing that much weight on the work experience factor? i understand if you do for NU, but i'm also not a #s pro, so do you think the 3.15 is going to be a decent burden on the app? i dont usually refer to LSP, but plugging in those numbers (3.15/170), thats not the kind of shoe-in you seem to be talking about (obviously not taking into consideration the ED)

this pure curiosity

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:03 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:excuse my ignorance, but are you guys placing that much weight on the work experience factor? i understand if you do for NU, but i'm also not a #s pro, so do you think the 3.15 is going to be a decent burden on the app? i dont usually refer to LSP, but plugging in those numbers (3.15/170), thats not the kind of shoe-in you seem to be talking about (obviously not taking into consideration the ED)

this pure curiosity


UVA has been known to take almost every applicant >3.0 170+ LSAT and ED. NU takes most people with the same types of numbers and work experience, especially with ED. The others i'm less sure about.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Plus I'm a unique and special butterfly.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia, and Georgetown are all good matches with your numbers. Since Michigan is your favorite of this group, I would ED to Michigan, and then failing that ED to Virginia, and then failing that ED to Georgetown.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:22 pm

im_blue wrote:Since Michigan is your favorite of this group, I would ED to Michigan, and then failing that ED to Virginia, and then failing that ED to Georgetown.


Credited.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:03 pm

man, I'm way behind the curve on this stuff. If I should start a new thread elsewhere say so, but how do i do rolling ed's at multiple schools? Like I know with UVA if you ED you'll hear back in 15 or so days, but what if you are WL'ed? You can ED at additional places? That is amazing.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:man, I'm way behind the curve on this stuff. If I should start a new thread elsewhere say so, but how do i do rolling ed's at multiple schools? Like I know with UVA if you ED you'll hear back in 15 or so days, but what if you are WL'ed? You can ED at additional places? That is amazing.


You can only have 1 active ED at a time, but once your ED rejects you you can then ED somewhere else. Some schools have different deadlines which allows this despite the fact that most have a November 1 deadline (UVa, GULC, and Duke all have later deadlines).

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 pm

ok, so now I feel like an idiot. Should I be getting in my first ED app BEFORE the october results? So basically as soon as I am WL'ed on one ed, ed somewhere else. Awesome.

Dukehopeful2
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Dukehopeful2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:man, I'm way behind the curve on this stuff. If I should start a new thread elsewhere say so, but how do i do rolling ed's at multiple schools? Like I know with UVA if you ED you'll hear back in 15 or so days, but what if you are WL'ed? You can ED at additional places? That is amazing.

can you get wait listed on ED?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:28 pm

@Dukehopeful: Yes, though I'm not sure if this is true at all schools.

Remnantofisrael wrote:ok, so now I feel like an idiot. Should I be getting in my first ED app BEFORE the october results? So basically as soon as I am WL'ed on one ed, ed somewhere else. Awesome.


I would get it in so that it goes complete right when they get the score. Hopefully you won't have to ED at more than one place but reality does suck.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:51 pm

LAST questions I swear (for now at least).

Is there much of a loss by going: Michigan, NU, UVA, GTown - in that order?

I ask because it seems like UVA is a "safety net" in that it is the one I'm most likely to get in to by ED'ing. Does the EDing benefit go way down by not EDing there till basically december if push comes to shove?

Also, assuming I want to work in the midwest, and debt load/payback isn't a huge concern, aren't I better off going to Michigan than UVA or Gtown or at that level does it not matter?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:54 pm

You won't be able to do UMich and NU due to timing, you'll have to pick one. GULC may be an issue, I can't remember when their deadline is. You may also not be able to ED at NU if you've ED'ed somewhere else previously, contact their admissions office to make sure.

Yes ED benefit diminishes as time progresses but it's still worth doing late if possible. This is why the best order for maximizing T14 chances is UVa > UMich > GULC. The problem being your preference for UMich and the midwest throws a wrench in that order. If I were you I would do UMich or NU, then UVa then GULC.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:LAST questions I swear (for now at least).

Is there much of a loss by going: Michigan, NU, UVA, GTown - in that order?

I ask because it seems like UVA is a "safety net" in that it is the one I'm most likely to get in to by ED'ing. Does the EDing benefit go way down by not EDing there till basically december if push comes to shove?

Also, assuming I want to work in the midwest, and debt load/payback isn't a huge concern, aren't I better off going to Michigan than UVA or Gtown or at that level does it not matter?

If working in the midwest and applying to the "safest" schools are more important to you than your preference for Michigan, then I would do NU -> UVA -> GULC.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Do not ED to NU if you want to do multiple schools. They're fairly unique in forbidding you from EDing there and anywhere else in the same year. Other schools don't care what happens after they WL or reject you, but NU is the exception.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks Van- that is great info to have!

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: 3.15 gpa 170 LSAT

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:15 pm

Dukehopeful2 wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:man, I'm way behind the curve on this stuff. If I should start a new thread elsewhere say so, but how do i do rolling ed's at multiple schools? Like I know with UVA if you ED you'll hear back in 15 or so days, but what if you are WL'ed? You can ED at additional places? That is amazing.

can you get wait listed on ED?


Yeah but you're no longer bound by their ED contract IIRC.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blumodernist, criley01 and 3 guests