3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
incase2011
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby incase2011 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:21 pm

Please forgive the hypothetical/non-existent LSAT score- I haven't tested yet (that's part of the problem). Based on practice testing, I would guess 165.

My GPA is 3.1 from a top 15 university with a rocky college career (I can look into an addendum) with a double major in Film and Philosophy.

I directed a documentary in school related to the public school system and worked for PBS as a freelance producer/videographer immediately after college. Over the past seven months, I've interned at three production companies (entertainment internships).

My reference letters would be from a philosophy TA, my boss at PBS, and potentially one of my bosses at an internship.

I'm posting this thread because I recently decided to change career paths, or possibly explore entertainment law. I'm wondering if I should take the LSAT in December, apply in January (pretty late in the game from what I understand), and accept an offer (fingers-crossed) from the best school that will have me, with the intent to later transfer.

I could apply next year, build work experience in the meantime, potentially get a better recommendation, and take my time on my application. But with my grades and resume, would I still be aiming for T3/maybe T2 schools anyway, hoping to transfer?

I don't know enough about WE and transferring law schools to plan appropriately. What's my best shot at getting into a T1 school?

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:52 am

You need more than just one academic LOR from a TA. 2 academics min and only go with the TA if you don't have any better options.
Don't pick a school thinking that you will transfer out. Almost every other student in that school will be thinking the same and law school grades are very unpredictable. Go to a school where you feel OK graduating from. That said, with a 3.1, you might not want to just go to the best school that will have you.
Since you also mentioned "entertainment law", which is basically contract/employment law and requires a LOT of networking and knowing people (and not in PBS per se), I kind of get the feeling that you haven't researched the field that much. Since your law school options will be quite risky at best, you shouldn't commit without having put serious thought and consideration into this and knowing that this is what you want to do with your life.

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby mhernton » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 am

THere isn't enough information here. How old are you, how many years of work experience do you have, and what are you career plans? The LOR is a misnomer. I applied without academic letters of rec. I was also 7 years out of undergrad. My point is that the rules change depending on who you are. If you are seriously looking at entertainment type stuff, imho, you should focus on schools in LA. Regardless, if you haven't started your apps yet, you should look at waiting until next year. The earlier you apply the better you chances.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:15 am

Get a real LSAT and get back to us. There nothing that can be gained from this right now.

User avatar
incase2011
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby incase2011 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:20 am

Thanks Hattori - very good advice. I'll look into another UG recommendation.

Hattori Hanzo wrote:That said, with a 3.1, you might not want to just go to the best school that will have you.


What did you mean by this exactly?


I'm considering corporate law but, I am definitely also interested in IP law. I'm extremely committed to this career path for many reasons - it's one of the reasons I decided to double major in Philosophy. I put down my entertainment experience thinking it might separate my application from the rest? Maybe if a good personal statement ties everything together?

What I'm worried about are my chances for getting into a T2 school (especially if I apply in January)? Could I significantly raise my chances with more WE as let's say a file clerk or legal assistant? Would an extra year make my lack of another UG LOR less of a problem (if I can't get another)?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:28 am

I mean an imaginary LSAT does nothing. It's all well and good to say "what if", but you never know what will happen on test day.

User avatar
incase2011
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby incase2011 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 am

mhernton wrote:THere isn't enough information here. How old are you, how many years of work experience do you have, and what are you career plans? The LOR is a misnomer. I applied without academic letters of rec. I was also 7 years out of undergrad. My point is that the rules change depending on who you are. If you are seriously looking at entertainment type stuff, imho, you should focus on schools in LA. Regardless, if you haven't started your apps yet, you should look at waiting until next year. The earlier you apply the better you chances.


mhernton I've only been out of school for about a year an a half (I'm 24). I'm deciding between gaining more WE or applying now. Basically, I graduated UG on the fence between entertainment work and law school. I tried entertainment work but, I'm now 100% certain I want to pursue a JD. I'm pretty set on corporate law but, I'm also considering IP law.

User avatar
incase2011
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby incase2011 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:35 am

kalvano wrote:I mean an imaginary LSAT does nothing. It's all well and good to say "what if", but you never know what will happen on test day.


kalvano, I appreciate what you're saying. Unfortunately, my circumstances are such that I need to make a decision with a presumed LSAT score. Should I rush an application a bit to get into school now or, would WE do me some good (ideally as a file clerk or legal assistant, if I get lucky)?

Obviously, I don't want to wait two years if it's not going to make a big difference.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:36 am

WE will, most likely, not make a huge difference.

Sadly, applying before Halloween will.

User avatar
incase2011
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby incase2011 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:46 am

kalvano wrote:WE will, most likely, not make a huge difference.

Sadly, applying before Halloween will.



I was kind of afraid of that. Good looks kal - thank you. How is my time best spent if I end up waiting?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:48 am

incase2011 wrote:
kalvano wrote:WE will, most likely, not make a huge difference.

Sadly, applying before Halloween will.



I was kind of afraid of that. Good looks kal - thank you. How is my time best spent if I end up waiting?


Doing something you enjoy. Short of writing a #1 bestseller or curing cancer, most WE will be minimal at best. Do something you want to do, enjoy yourself, and relax a bit.

Kafka
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:48 am

Re: 3.1 GPA/LSAT pending - do I apply this year or wait?

Postby Kafka » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Wait a year bro. Hopefully by then you will have a better LSAT score. Because schools that would take you with a 3.1/165 are really not the kind of schools you should be going to in this economy. Study your ass off for one of the later exams (Feb or June) and kill it. Apply in September with 170+ score. Profit.

You can spend the gap year doing something that interests you.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests