Chances at Houston

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PowerThirst

Chances at Houston

Postby PowerThirst » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:10 pm

I posted earlier but I've been looking a lot at Houston now and am curious about my chances(other than predicted on LSP).

I have a 3.33 double major in Finance and Information Systems, with a 162 on the June LSAT (I took again in oct but I don't want to bother with BS hypothetical until I get a real score).

I know softs don't matter but...

Work Experience:
1 year as an Intern on Capital Hill for Senator Kerry

Summer spent working for a Financial Consulting Firm

Currently Employed at an Environmental Lobbying Firm during my senior year

Created a full business plan for a Solar Panel based non-profit with a few other students, have not implemented

Extra Curricular:
Receiving a full scholarship from a private foundation

Founding Member of my fraternities chapter on campus IHSV

Squash Club and Crew

B-School Fellowship

Good LORs and decent Personal Statement

dissonance1848

Re: Chances at Houston

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:14 pm

According to LSN, you 162 LSAT is just on the right side of their firewall, everyone below got WL or Rejected, regardless of GPA. GPA is OK too. You should have a very good shot, especially if you apply soon. Good Luck!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Are you a Texas resident? That makes a difference, I think.

PowerThirst

Postby PowerThirst » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Not a resident

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:39 pm

I don't think that really hurts your chances that much. It's a different case at UT, which has the same requirement, because I'm sure they get a lot more out of state applications. Applying early should help, though I really don't have much more advice than that. What interests you in Houston?

PowerThirst

Postby PowerThirst » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Aside from the obvious that it places well into Houston answer...

I've been looking at a lot if schools and of the schools in my range and it really stuck out to me. I've been to Houston a few times and really liked the feel of the city, it's a place I could see myself living, which I think should be a big consideration when looking at more regional oriented schools. Also the fact that its a large university with an active athletic program is important to me as well.

That combined with the fact that they are strong in some of the focuses I am interested in, moves the school at or near the top of my list.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:04 pm

If you want to stay/practice in Houston, it's definitely not a bad choice. From what I've heard the people who go there enjoy it, and it does place well in "H-tyne". A lot of people rag on Houston, and I recognize that there are parts of living there that are less than ideal, but I like the city. There's a very good chance I will end up there myself next year.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:12 pm

Aside from UT, UofH is the best school for Houston.

And I think you'll be fine to get in.

achilles

Postby achilles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 pm

I think you've got a pretty good chance with the 162, and I'd say a VERY good chance if your score goes up even a point or two. I live in Houston and love it, although the UH campus isn't the greatest place...no need to hang around there more than is needed though

Return to “What are my chances?”