166/3.2 with strong (?) softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jonillson

166/3.2 with strong (?) softs

Postby jonillson » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by jonillson on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Re: 166/3.2 with strong (?) softs

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Out of those, you might get into U Washington. You may want to reconsider this whole law school thing unless Washington State is where you want to practice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Retake if you want those schools (outside Boalt which is pretty much a no even with a 180).

jonillson

Postby jonillson » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Veyron wrote:Out of those, you might get into U Washington. You may want to reconsider this whole law school thing unless Washington State is where you want to practice.

why do you suggest that i reconsider?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:22 pm

Are you interested in practicing law or do you plan to work as a law librarian/ legal writing & research instructor ?

jonillson

Postby jonillson » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you interested in practicing law or do you plan to work as a law librarian/ legal writing & research instructor ?

I would like to practice law. However, depending on the job market, I'm certainly open to working as a law librarian. But I'm applying to law school because, first and foremost, I would like to practice law.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:27 pm

jonillson wrote:
Veyron wrote:Out of those, you might get into U Washington. You may want to reconsider this whole law school thing unless Washington State is where you want to practice.

Because it is unlikely that you will secure legal employment at any school to which you will be admitted that, net of loan payments, will yield a higher income than that which you could secure with your undergraduate degree. Probably, you are looking at at least a few years of document review for $20 an hour. Is this the practice of law you had in mind?

jonillson

Postby jonillson » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Veyron wrote:
jonillson wrote:

Because it is unlikely that you will secure legal employment at any school to which you will be admitted that, net of loan payments, will yield a higher income than that which you could secure with your undergraduate degree. Probably, you are looking at at least a few years of document review for $20 an hour. Is this the practice of law you had in mind?

Do I really not have any shot at T30 schools? I realize that my UGPA is weak, but my LSAT is on the mark or higher for all of the schools in the T30 outside of the T10. This includes GWU, CWM, and BU. And I'm five years out from my UG career and have excellent work experience.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:22 pm

jonillson wrote:
Veyron wrote:
jonillson wrote:

Do I really not have any shot at T30 schools? I realize that my UGPA is weak, but my LSAT is on the mark or higher for all of the schools in the T30 outside of the T10. This includes GWU, CWM, and BU. And I'm five years out from my UG career and have excellent work experience.

Look buddy, I can't tell if you are a flame or not but a "T-30", whatever that means, is not worth giving up a good career for. I go to a T-10 and going here is going to prove to be a huge mistake for at least 1/3 of my classmates.

If you absolutely insist on going, forget this whole T-30 nonsense. All schools are regional outside of the T-14, go to the state flagship of the state you want to practice on on a nice scholarship and you'll find that your career prospects are just as good as they would have been at GW (assuming no IP).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:37 pm

You have a pretty decent shot at W&M, an outside chance at BC, and oddly enough, not as good a chance as you might think at UW (they like in-state and high GPA).

Cornell is theoretically possible, but outside that, scratch off all the school you listed.

Return to “What are my chances?”