WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR HLS, YLS, CLS??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pittsburgh2323

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR HLS, YLS, CLS??

Postby pittsburgh2323 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 am

HEY EVERYONE!

So, here's my info:

GPA: 3.83
LSAT: somewhere between 168-172 (took in October)

So here are my questions-- First of all I'm from Missouri, and I hear that being from a midwestern state can help you out a bit if you're applying to the top northeastern schools.. have you guys heard anything about that??

I have solid recommendations, and feel really good about my resume- good research experience, internships (one at the Supreme Court), good extracurricular and service. Also I came to my school as a Vocal Performance major and switched to pre-law my junior year, so I'm hoping that that will kind of make me stand out a little... but relatively there are very few people applying to law school this year, so I really don't have any idea what my chances are... any help whatsoever would be great!! Thank you all so much!!

Grizz

Re: WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR HLS, YLS, CLS??

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:36 am

Come back when you get your LSAT score.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 am

You'll need an LSAT score to get into law school

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:49 am

pittsburgh2323 wrote:HEY EVERYONE!

So, here's my info:

GPA: 3.83
LSAT: somewhere between 168-172 (took in October)

Weak consider/rejection.

So here are my questions-- First of all I'm from Missouri, and I hear that being from a midwestern state can help you out a bit if you're applying to the top northeastern schools.. have you guys heard anything about that??

No.

I have solid recommendations, and feel really good about my resume- good research experience, internships (one at the Supreme Court), good extracurricular and service. Also I came to my school as a Vocal Performance major and switched to pre-law my junior year, so I'm hoping that that will kind of make me stand out a little...

Your major does not matter, even if it's pre-law. The internship might be useful. But the general rule is not to bank on softs.

but relatively there are very few people applying to law school this year

That's probably the opposite of truth.

pittsburgh2323

Postby pittsburgh2323 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 am

yeah I guess I meant there are relatively few ppl. from my school applying, so I don't have many people to talk to.

If I get a 170 flat, should I take it in again December if I'm pretty sure I can get a 173+ even if that means I'll be applying way late in the rolling admissions cycle?

Thanks so much!

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:03 am

pittsburgh2323 wrote:If I get a 170 flat, should I take it in again December if I'm pretty sure I can get a 173+ even if that means I'll be applying way late in the rolling admissions cycle?

To have any chance at HYC yes you would have to retake a 170.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:10 am

In terms of top schools, that's a huge LSAT range. If you hit at the bottom, you're waitlist/reject at your targets; if you hit at the top, we'll talk.

Your softs won't affect your cycle one way or the other, nor will being from the midwest. Good luck.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:08 pm

St.Remy wrote:
pittsburgh2323 wrote:If I get a 170 flat, should I take it in again December if I'm pretty sure I can get a 173+ even if that means I'll be applying way late in the rolling admissions cycle?

By the same token, being very late in the admissions cycle is as damaging as a low LSAT score. How damaging depends on the school and the cycle, and I can't be more specific than that. But you may want to consider applying next cycle if you retake in December and get a very high score. You benefit not only from a better shot by applying early, but you will probably also receive more and larger scholarship offers early in the cycle.

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:09 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

By the same token, being very late in the admissions cycle is as damaging as a low LSAT score. How damaging depends on the school and the cycle, and I can't be more specific than that. But you may want to consider applying next cycle if you retake in December and get a very high score. You benefit not only from a better shot by applying early, but you will probably also receive more and larger scholarship offers early in the cycle.

What's very late

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:59 pm

tazmolover wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

What's very late

After the new year.

whitefeather2011

Postby whitefeather2011 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Last edited by whitefeather2011 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:05 pm

out at all 3. sorry.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:05 pm

rad law wrote:Come back when you get your LSAT score.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rad law wrote:Come back when you get your LSAT score.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:46 pm

whitefeather2011 wrote:also,
adcomms say they really are not super fond of the straight from undergrad pre-law major

Yeah... and they're right to. So far I think the best people in my class (the ones who contribute the most, are ready and on point, etc.) are the people who took between 2 and 10 years off from school and suffered the real world. Undergrad is a like a bad smell that can only be washed away with actual responsibility.

Apologies to blurbz... he's way smarter than I am.
Last edited by TCScrutinizer on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:36 am

170-171: shot at CLS
172: in at CLS
174+: shot at HY

Return to “What are my chances?”