3.4 UGPA, 167-172 LSAT URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jimbo1220

New

3.4 UGPA, 167-172 LSAT URM

Post by jimbo1220 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:28 am

Hi,

Curious in hearing what you folks think about this profile:

-3.4 UGPA HYPSM (engineering)
-PhD student (engineering) at HYS, 3.7 GPA
-consistently been scoring 167-172 on LSAT diagnostics
-published research
-strong involvement in a few ECs
-Mexican-American male

My goal is to apply to the law school at the school I'm currently attending (HYS) and try for a joint degree program. I realize HYS is hardly a guarantee for anyone, but do you think I might have a palatable shot? I may apply to other schools as well, though I don't see myself leaving my program anytime soon.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Shooter

Bronze

Re: 3.4 UGPA, 167-172 LSAT URM

Post by Shooter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:25 am

Are you just collecting degrees?

I mean, a PhD, a JD, and another graduate degree just sounds like overkill.

Aside from that, you have a pretty good shot (a fact of which I suspect you are already aware).

jimbo1220

New

Post by jimbo1220 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Shooter wrote:Are you just collecting degrees?

I mean, a PhD, a JD, and another graduate degree just sounds like overkill.
Sorry, the joint degree program would be JD/PhD with the program I'm already in. Definitely not looking for a third graduate degree.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:40 pm

I think that you have a good shot if you can clearly articulate why you want a JD. I also think that it will depend somewhat on which one of HYS you are at.

If you just think about it a bit Y&S are both very small programs which turn away a lot of people, giving you a seat almost necessarily means taking it away from someone else with better stats. It's also not clear that Y or S are hurting for enough qualified minority applicants. On the other hand Harvard offered 833 people last year so your chance of getting them to consider a uniquely qualified URM seem like they would be higher.

This is all just speculation though since you are the probably a very unique candidate in general and there is no data to reference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”