addenda/chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
noahzak

addenda/chances

Postby noahzak » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi all,

I want to go to a law school in Southern California...My stats are horrible: 159 LSAT, 3.1 GPA...However, when I visited the LA Law School Forum last month, almost all schools told me it would be worthwhile to add an addenda explaining that my GPA in my major (journalism) is a 3.9 and that my overall gpa is a 3.1. Do you all think that will make a difference?

As far as work experience, I've been a writer for the past two years, since I graduated from college. I've written steadily at community newspapers, so I'm hoping that makes a difference.

Do you all think I have a shot at Loyola or Pepperdine?

Thanks!

kalvano

Re: addenda/chances

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Don't bother with an addendum, they can already see the discrepancy.

Sadly, it won't help you much, if at all, that your major GPA and LSAC GPA are so different. LSAC GPA carries the day.

No idea about Loyola or Pepperdine, try Law School Predictor.

CoastGuard3

Postby CoastGuard3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:23 am

I disagree. Write that addendum. they have no idea who you are. the more you can convey your character, motivation, etc. the better. You never know who is going to read your app and how they will interpret it. and yes, you have more than a good shot at Loyola and Pepperdine...go for it!

noahzak

Postby noahzak » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:32 am

Thank you both! I think I will try the addendum and hopefully, today's lsat comes back as higher...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 am

CoastGuard3 wrote:I disagree. Write that addendum. they have no idea who you are. the more you can convey your character, motivation, etc. the better. You never know who is going to read your app and how they will interpret it. and yes, you have more than a good shot at Loyola and Pepperdine...go for it!

Conversely, adding one more piece of unnecessary reading might just piss them off.

Return to “What are my chances?”