Anyone know if I can do this, would law schools be mad?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
testmachine45

Anyone know if I can do this, would law schools be mad?

Postby testmachine45 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:42 am

I want to write in my Why X essay that I will attend the school if accepted and that the school can consider this binding, even with waitlist situation.

I am wondering if they accept me, but I already told another school I would be attending, can I drop the attending and switch to the other school. Is this possible? Legal? Financially whats the price?

RPK34

Re: Anyone know if I can do this, would law schools be mad?

Postby RPK34 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:37 am

Is this serious?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 am

Better strap in ... this one could get a little bumpy...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 am

Dean_______,
I double pinky swear, scouts honor, on my mothers life that I will attend your school if you admit me. Ok, I know, I didn't ED, but you should consider this ED in the terms of boosting my admissions chances. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Thank you.

Guy in love with school x

*sealed with a kiss*

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:08 pm

testmachine45 wrote:I want to write in my Why X essay that I will attend the school if accepted and that the school can consider this binding, even with waitlist situation.

I am wondering if they accept me, but I already told another school I would be attending, can I drop the attending and switch to the other school. Is this possible? Legal? Financially whats the price?

Wait until you are waitlisted to tell them that if you're accepted you'll attend. Otherwise, your throwing any chance for scholarship money out the window. And if you're flat out rejected, telling them you'll attend if accepted wouldn't have made a difference.

But yes, you can deposit at a school and then go elsewhere if you get in off a waitlist. Lots of people do it every year.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:17 pm

RPK34 wrote:Is this serious?

+1. Judging by the threads created by OP, I'm gonna call flame. This can't be a real person asking real questions.

...But on the crazy off-chance that it is, don't do that. It's akin to lying, and is generally frowned upon by law schools/attorneys/C&F/everyone.

jacko

Postby jacko » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:44 pm

I've seriously considered the whole " I swear if admitted I will attend" thing because I feel like Michigan would be a better fit than UVA, and since I'm on the quarter system at my UG, I wouldn't graduate on time to fulfill the summer start requirement for ED applicants.

tome

Postby tome » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:37 am

beachbum wrote:...But on the crazy off-chance that it is, don't do that. It's akin to lying, and is generally frowned upon by law schools/attorneys/C&F/everyone.

OP, ignore this. It is not akin to lying. You are telling the truth. I have no idea what this guy is even talking about.

That being said, still don't do it. It makes you look desperate and immature.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 am

I think people are misreading the OP, because it isn't THAT bad.

If you send a seat deposit to school A, but are accepted to school B (the one you told you would attend no matter what) later, there is nothing wrong with jumping ship to school B. The only consequence is you are out a seat deposit. Schools realize that there are going to be deposit deadlines that come up while students are still waiting to hear back from other schools. There is nothing unethical about it.

However, unless you ED, telling a school you will attend no matter what will not boost your admission chances.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:55 am

traehekat wrote:I think people are misreading the OP, because it isn't THAT bad.

I think people are COMPLETELY misreading the OP. Come on people... for future lawyers, this is pretty poor RC.

testmachine45 wrote:I want to write in my Why X essay that I will attend the school if accepted and that the school can consider this binding, even with waitlist situation.

The OP is a little bit muddled and confusing (especially that second paragraph), but let's try and break this down:

-OP applies to school A and tells them he will attend if accepted
-OP is waitlisted
-OP gets into school B and tells them he is attending (likely sending in a seat deposit)
-School A comes through and OP switches and goes to school A instead

There is nothing wrong with this. Nor would there be anything wrong with telling a school, "I'll come if accepted" and then deciding to turn them down after a WL--->Accept. IMO, once a school rejects or WL's you, all bets are off and you can do what you want at that point. That's how ED apps work, after all.

With that said, OP, I would not tell a school "I will attend if accepted" if they have an ED program. I wouldn't tell them at all, actually. Just write a good "Why X?" and if you get waitlisted, then you can tell them "If you let me in off the waitlist, I'll attend fo sho."

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Just say they are your top choice. That isn't binding in any way.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just say they are your top choice. That isn't binding in any way.

I think he WANTS to be bound. Which he can't be anyway, because it's not ED. So it has no effect.

I'll be honest, OP, the real answer is probably just "retake."

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Huh? It is certainly not lying.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
traehekat wrote:I think people are misreading the OP, because it isn't THAT bad.

I think people are COMPLETELY misreading the OP. Come on people... for future lawyers, this is pretty poor RC.

The OP is a little bit muddled and confusing (especially that second paragraph), but let's try and break this down:

-OP applies to school A and tells them he will attend if accepted
-OP is waitlisted
-OP gets into school B and tells them he is attending (likely sending in a seat deposit)
-School A comes through and OP switches and goes to school A instead

There is nothing wrong with this. Nor would there be anything wrong with telling a school, "I'll come if accepted" and then deciding to turn them down after a WL--->Accept. IMO, once a school rejects or WL's you, all bets are off and you can do what you want at that point. That's how ED apps work, after all.

With that said, OP, I would not tell a school "I will attend if accepted" if they have an ED program. I wouldn't tell them at all, actually. Just write a good "Why X?" and if you get waitlisted, then you can tell them "If you let me in off the waitlist, I'll attend fo sho."

Why should I not tell the school that I will attend if accepted?

What is wrong with creating a binding, contractual ED like situation during regular admissions in order to account for their yield protect[I am applying January after all with high LSAT/low gpa splitter]? This would only boost my chances, in my opinion..assuming it comes off as this way.

Good to know that it is appropriate to tell a school that you said you were attending that you are no longer attending because you got off the waitlist at another school.
Last edited by testmachine45 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:45 pm

testmachine45 wrote:Huh? It is certainly not lying.

OP, I think your question was a little muddled and difficult to understand.

A lot of people ask on TLS, "Can I tell a school in my application that I will attend if admitted and then not go?" To a lot of people, that is lying. I think a lot of the above posters read your question and sort of glossed over what you were asking, because it seems like you are asking something different.

If I understand you correctly, it seems like you are asking if you can change your mind after telling a school I'll attend. Is that right? If so, you never really tell a school "I'm coming!" You just do this in the form of a seat deposit. It is very common for people to put down a deposit and then change their mind and go elsewhere, so this is totally fine.

With that said, I think DF is right. Tell the school they are your top choice, but don't tell them you'll attend if accepted. It really won't help. Only use that line if you are 1) EDing or 2) on the waitlist.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Why only use if EDing? I want to create the binding aspect to correct yield protection. No one will want to get burned by me because they will have to take a chance on me.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Oops, I thought a different poster was OP. Sorry
Last edited by 09042014 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:54 pm

What's the summer start date signifance? I don't know what this policy is.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Congrats on NU. That is what I am shooting for?

Desert Fox, what types of people did they take this year?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:56 pm

testmachine45 wrote:What's the summer start date signifance? I don't know what this policy is.

I'm sorry I read a different persons post and assumed he was the original poster.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 pm

testmachine45 wrote:Congrats on NU. That is what I am shooting for?

Desert Fox, what types of people did they take this year?

Northwestern seems to be pretty numbers based. Go look at Law school numbers, then see if around your numbers there are green dots. If you have 2+ years of work experience you are probably going to get in.

I can almost promise you they don't read personal statements, because mine was atrocious.

What are your numbers and W/E?

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:11 pm

edit

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I can almost promise you they don't read personal statements, because mine was atrocious.

Ha, I am starting to get that feeling. AJD doesn't even require a PS this year and I am pretty sure they hinted that they won't read it.

Maybe I should just submit an app with only my resume? You think I would get in?

I would have to write new essays for just NU, and I don't know where to find someone to fill out my CPE...

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I can almost promise you they don't read personal statements, because mine was atrocious.

Ha, I am starting to get that feeling. AJD doesn't even require a PS this year and I am pretty sure they hinted that they won't read it.

Maybe I should just submit an app with only my resume? You think I would get in?

I would have to write new essays for just NU, and I don't know where to find someone to fill out my CPE...

I don't know if I'd risk it if really want NU, or really want a big fat scholarship. They may be more holistic in giving out cash.

Why would you have to write out a new PS for NU? I think if they notice a lack of PS they may assume you don't want to go. But who knows.

I wouldn't even bother with those CPE things.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:04 pm

CPE fucking required if u want recs, and recs matter.

Return to “What are my chances?”